Notices

Day One

Old 12-28-2011, 02:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One

Hi all.

I just had an enlightening conversation with an alcoholic who has been in AA for about twenty years. I admitted to him and to myself that I have a problem and that I want to stop drinking. I'm not sure how, but I know I need to. And in fact, I've known this for a while. I joined this site about three years ago because I knew then that I had a problem. Of course, I never did anything with it. I just kept on drinking. Drinking and driving, drinking and working. Drinking drinking drinking. Enough is enough.

We're going to a meeting tomorrow. I'm terrified but I know it's what I need to do. I can't live like this anymore. I'm not sure why I'm posting this, I guess I want to feel like I'm not on my own. Thanks for reading.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was in the same boat sixth months ago...I think that is the best move you could possibly be making...It was for me...Enjoy it...It can change your life.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, ClosetAlchie! Just wanted to say hello and wish you good luck on your journey. Your words could be my own.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the posting side of things CA

D
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As I mentioned in my first post 3 days ago, better late than never.

Welcome to SR ClosetAlchie, and good luck at the meeting tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Home. I found recovery 8 months ago, and it changed my life. I also joined this site in my disease ages ago...drunk & desperately seeking...something. Going to that first meeting is one of the scariest things any of us does. This is an INCREDIBLE first step. You are beautiful, keep coming back!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome ClosetAlchie!

Three years is a long time between joining SR and making your first post. I would guess that you've experienced a fair amount of misery in that time. The good news is that you don't have to experience that anymore.

Good for you for planning to attend an AA meeting with a veteran AA person. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side of the world CA!
I actually came here in October because I knew I had a problem but I was still in that mode of "I can quit but I still want to continue my normal life as if nothing has changed" DUMB. After one week sober in October I relapsed for 2 1/2 months. CRAZY!
I know it's corny but I love that saying "Today is the first day of the rest of your life"
It's so true when we decide to choose sobriety over zombiefied mode we all live in when we drown ourselves in alcohol.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Let us know how it went!

Glad you are taking the next step, well, two actually, posting and hitting a meeting!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome CA.. I'm 13 days in, and things have only gotten better. Though the cravings are there, they are dying off a little each day.. It is amazing to wake up and have something else to do, other than poison my body and soul every day.

Get active with people that don't drink often, volunteer at the local church or soup kitchen. You'll be glad you did!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Update - I went to an open meeting and got my 24 hour chip and a big book.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Wow - you're off and running right away - that's fantastic!

When I came here, I didn't have any idea how I'd be able to get sober either. I just did whatever I could to get through another minute or hour without drinking and soaked up everything on this website. I felt a little better/stronger/clearer after getting through each day, then the anxiety started going away, my hope grew, which lead to another hangover-free morning etc........ it felt like once I made the leap, being sober created its own momentum.

The good news is that if we can do it, you can too!:day6

p.s. Don't hesitate to get medical help/detox if you need to.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome CA! Getting that white chip can be terrifying, but it is the start of a new life if you stick with it and do some hard work. Whenever you get the urge just gnaw on that chip some. I carry mine in my pocket with me. AA has saved my life as has this online community. Welcome!
God bless.