Notices

I have tried everything without luck..

Old 12-27-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have tried everything without luck..

I have seen my head shrinker, seen my doctor who gave me some medicine. I have come up with several plans and have tried 3-4 times but just can't seem to quit. The only thing I have not done is AA and I am not real thrilled about it. I have quit for a couple of days without a lot of side effects so I should be able to do this. Alcohol is just to readily available. I am struggling and so want to quit.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Having a substance abuse counselor is of the utmost importance, someone to guide you and keep you strong. Your really need to work a program and keep "your sobriety" as the most important thing in your life. Vivitrol injections are also something to consider, it is a once a month shot, it prohibits the release of beta endorphins when you drink, basically you get diminished returns, this can allow for you to do the work, and work the program.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AA works for many people, even some of those who go in thinking they are going to hate it. Maybe it's time to try something different?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

So, if you haven't tried AA how do you know it's not for you? You can't say that without giving it a fair shot. Why not try it since you're tried "everything" else.

There are other options besides AA too .... I'm sure other's will be around to tell you about them. AVRT, Rational Recovery, Celebrate Recovery, SMART .... to name a few. I know zero to little about them.

I'm a member of AA ......... at first, definitly NOT because I wanted to do it or was thrillled about it but because my life was miserable and I was on my way to death. Slowly but surely. Today I can say that I enjoy AA and I'm happier than I've ever been in my life.

I was able to quit for days even weeks without physical side effects yet I wasn't able to do it alone because I'm an alcoholic.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

We all understand what a struggle it is. I am curious though...you say you aren't thrilled with AA. That's fine. It isn't my recovery program either. But nothing else has worked for you (your words). What is it about AA that would make you choose drinking--and all that chaos that alcohol brings--over considering it as a viable recovery option?
Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How long have you been trying to quit? I avoided AA for a long time. I'd look up meetings, get scared and of course not go. I also Didn't want to admit I was an alcoholic, I still have a hard time.

I do go to AA now. The first night I walked into the group I thought I was going to die. AND I can't get past the first 3 steps in AA after going for almost 8 months! LOL I know I will move forward at some point but I'm not forcing anything on myself.

Try anything for yourself! Once you are desperate enough you will do just that.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have done some reading and research on AA and I am not a very religious person. I used to be but not anymore. A lot of it seems to be tied to a "higher power"? Thanks PaperDolls I will look into some of the others and see if they may be more "right" for me. As for AA I did get through step 1:-)
Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

You're welcome Duke.

Just fyi, I do not consider myself religious at all. To me, spirituality and religion are (or can be) seperate things. I am able to believe in a higher power, simply because I know I am not it .... and have no interest in joining a church. There are even athiests that recover in AA.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hear ya. There must be a higher power or I would be able to quit. PaperDoll can you recommend a good quick book for me. I am not a big reader but thought a book could give me some support.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm a fan of the Big Book .... you can find it online .... LINK

There are tons of other books .... but, I'm drawing a blank right now. Other's will be along soon I'm sure.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hear ya. There must be a higher power or I would be able to quit. PaperDoll can you recommend a good quick book for me. I am not a big reader but thought a book could give me some support.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post
I have done some reading and research on AA and I am not a very religious person.
There is a Secular Connections forum here on SR.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Duke, I was an atheist before I went into AA the first time. I was at the point where I would do anything just to stop drinking. You have to desparate and willing to do anything to stay sober. I couldn't do it on my own. I tried hundreds of times, only to pick up again and again. AA works for me and millions of others. Wasn't crazy about the meetings at first either. Now I love going to them. But if you aren't desparate enough to quit yet, nothing is going to keep you sober. Best wishes and God bless.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
where the light is

AA (the complete package - meetings, steps, sponsor) and counselling (ended about a year ago, not needed anymore). Just passsed 4 years sober, life could not be better.

When I joined AA, my higher power was my kids (they give me strength, I would do ANYTHING for them).

It's your choice - keep drinking, being miserable or suck it up and go to AA.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here a few more options for you Duke:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

check out the secular forum link too - you might find approaches there that appeal to you
Old 12-27-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well you got a lot of advice already.

I am not religous and very involved in AA, just try it you got nothing to lose. as far as reading about it rubbish . if you dont like it try something else.

just an old saying that sticks with me"try giving AA a chance , try 90 meetings in 90 days. if you dont like it we will refund your misery."

Just a saying , I also use SMART recovery , i need as many tools as I can get.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not a religious person in the classic sense but I am spiritual. I just ignore what doesn't apply to me and learn from what does in AA. We are all there for the same reason - to stop using.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Duke10,

I am 7 months sober with the help of AA and this forum. I don't think anyone wants to go to AA. I go to AA because it helps me to stay on track and stay sober. You need the support of a program.

Best of luck with finding one that works for you.

CaiHong
Old 12-27-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I tried everything but AA. AA was just for a bunch of dopey losers who were all whacked about religion and tried to tell everyone they were alcoholic too.

I got drunk again. I got in trouble again. I tried quitting again, got drunk again, got in trouble again. I tried quitting again, I got drunk again, I got in trouble again...

...then I went to AA. That was 10 1/2 months ago and I haven't had a drink since. My previous record in 19 years was 48 hours.

I am an atheist (albeit, against my will) but I find great comfort in the rooms and fellowship of AA. The wisdom in the Big Book and the experience strength and hope of others help me daily work on my program of recovery. In atheist in AA seems like a contradiction but it isn't, it just takes a little some patience, diligence, and comittment.

How badly do you want to get sober? How badly do you want to stay drunk?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This reminded me of a saying I heard at an AA meeting.

"Give AA a chance. If you still don't like it we'll gladly refund your misery."