Notices

Evil Addictions... grrrrr... making me mad...

Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Evil Addictions... grrrrr... making me mad...

Hey Everyone!

So, I got through the holidays, my birthday and the date of my mothers passing all sober. This is HUGE for me. I mean I honestly can not say I have done that in the past 6 years. So, I am very proud of myself.

And, I know in early recovery that your body craves sugar, and I know it is the holidays, and I know I should have more control. But, I am honestly thinking I am trading one addiction for another. I have put on 15 pounds in the last 2 months ... the time I truly got serious about working the steps and true recovery from drinking.

But, I feel like I am trading one addiction for another. Or maybe I am just being to hard on myself. I made the decision to start today. I am controling what I eat... yet, my addictive mind is craving sweets.. and diet coke... and all kinds of badness. I am truly not wanting to go back to the addiction of food. I lost 200 pounds with the help of a gastric bypass 9 years ago. I have keep 185 pounds of it off. I don't want to gain back the rest of it.

Maybe I am being alittle hyper sensative?

Any thoughts/ encouragement would be great!

Saliena
Old 12-27-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Congrats on your sober time!! That's awesome to hear.

I can relate to putting on the pounds after quitting ..... I put on like 40ish. I didn't keep track. Thing is, I'm happier than I've ever been so the pounds .... eh, it's not that bad compared to hating myself. Ya know?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

PaperDolls...

Amen to that.. I don't wake up every morning regretting things I can not remember from the night before. So on that note... yes I am very.. very.. grateful!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Good job with the sobriety.
I've put on (and kept) ~8 lbs. in my three months sober, although I've been slowly restarting an exercise plan this month. Plus with January first being right around the corner means the Holiday food fests are coming to a close.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I am 4.5 months sober and I have gained probably 20 pounds (I don't have the guts to weigh myself!). Add this to the 20 pounds that I gained when I started drinking again 4 years ago, and that equals 40 pounds gained in the last four years!!!! Four years ago I weighed 115 and felt great.

I let myself pretty much eat what I wanted these first few months of sobriety. With the start of the new year I am going to have to stop eating the fattening stuff. It was fun while it lasted! All in all, ofcourse I know that being a little overweight is a lot better than being in active addiction, but I do wonder if this is a cross-addiction. I hope not...I couldn't live feeling this way either! I have been exercising, but will step that up too. This is frustrating, and a little scary.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scolova View Post
Good job with the sobriety.
I've put on (and kept) ~8 lbs. in my three months sober, although I've been slowly restarting an exercise plan this month. Plus with January first being right around the corner means the Holiday food fests are coming to a close.

Scolova -- I am super grateful that the holidays are coming to an end... I love the family time... and all the wonderful memories... but, having food at every corner when I turn around was KILLING me..

Anyway... I need to get back on the exercise kick.. what do you do for exercise?

Saliena
Old 12-27-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

yeah, maybe you are being rough on yourself Saliena......but then again, "sobriety" means being of sane mind and sound judgment..... so, to me, getting truly sober means exercising a sane mind and sound judgment in all areas of my life: financially, mentally, spiritually, getting sober in my diet, having a sober attitude towards fitness, being a sober boyfriend, etc.......

I think it's good to look at those other areas while working on sobriety from alcohol. I mean, we stop drinking and work recovery to be happy right? Why jeopardize that happiness with another bad habit.........yanno? That said, recovery from alcoholism has to take center stage.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

46 pounds gained since I quit smoking 3 packs a day and drinking. I am not so much an addictive personality as trained to have my Binky. MY adult Binky was smoking and drinking coffee, then I added beer and wine, and then since i quit I went crazy eating. I need a Binky all the time. Well I guess I learned to do without it once as a child and can do it again. But being a six foot guy going from 200 to 246, while a lot, folks don't even look twice.

On the other hand, I have five more fingers.

Seriously, I can lose the weight, I can't lose cancer or Cirrhosis.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
46 pounds gained since I quit smoking 3 packs a day and drinking. I am not so much an addictive personality as trained to have my Binky. MY adult Binky was smoking and drinking coffee, then I added beer and wine, and then since i quit I went crazy eating. I need a Binky all the time. Well I guess I learned to do without it once as a child and can do it again. But being a six foot guy going from 200 to 246, while a lot, folks don't even look twice.

On the other hand, I have five more fingers.

Seriously, I can lose the weight, I can't lose cancer or Cirrhosis.
OMG Itchy you have cancer? Or are you being funny... Sorry stupid text doesn't imply tone..

Saliena
Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've sorta stayed the same although after this holiday I'm sure I've added a couple of pounds. I do need to walk more and just plain move more but Im putting so much into the not drinking thing that I can't focus on food. I can't be perfect in ALL MY Affairs. I can try but never perfect so I just try to focus one day at a time on not picking up that drink.

I guess that's all I have the mental energy for right now and I refuse to make a big deal out of it as I am sick and I need to figure this addiction out with alcohol before I can figure out anything else. Hope that makes sense and helps a little. This is discussed in "Sober Living." Pick up a copy.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Originally Posted by Saliena View Post
Anyway... I need to get back on the exercise kick.. what do you do for exercise?

Saliena
Walking (and some jogging), ab work, punching bag.
There are good exercise videos on youtube and I have enough room near the computer to workout with 'em.

i.e. http://www.youtube.com/user/sparkpeople
Old 12-27-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In early sobriety i was always told to concentrate on staying sober first and foremost, until I was secure enough in that to start tackling other issues. That being said, exercise can be a great way to relieve stress, depression, or anxiety that we go through early on. Plus it will help with the weight gain. Try not to stress about the extra pounds too much or it may distract from what is most important right now, your sobriety.
Try munching on some hard candy for the sugar cravings. That helps many people.
God bless.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I was being funny. That was why the wink. In other words I would rather gain some weight and quit smoking and drinking, than keep drinking and smoking and get cancer and liver issues.

No cancer! :ghug3
Old 12-27-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, apparently I need my binky too. Always something. I mean, I was taking in so many calories a day with liquor - how could I not lose weight once I quit?

I, too, had a huge craving for sweets that I finally got under control - it took months, though. I always have a slightly nervous or anxious feeling, & I guess my pacifier is food. Not just any food, bad-for-you food. We must get it under control, and we will! We've kicked worse habits.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, apparently I need my binky too. Always something. I mean, I was taking in so many calories a day with liquor - how could I not lose weight once I quit?

I, too, had a huge craving for sweets that I finally got under control - it took months, though. I always have a slightly nervous or anxious feeling, & I guess my pacifier is food. Not just any food, bad-for-you food. We must get it under control, and we will! We've kicked worse habits.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can relate hevyn. I definitely have anxiety. I started on Ativan as needed 2 months ago and I know it is helping me in many ares of living. Even my drinking. No nervous stomach anymore. I too have my big girl binky. Cigarettes, alcohol, dt mt dew and chocolate... Plus reading. I am not worried about any of the binkies right now except the alcohol.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

That's what I'm talkin about Hevyn and Gettingstarted! Hey! Maybe I'll market an adult binky and make them cool by getting Justin Bieber or someone to use one and make them cool. Hey they made cigarettes look cool and drinking right? BTW, I never smoked. The cigarettes smoked. I was just the sucker!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hummm... my adult binky right now is for sure food. I wish it was something like exercise... but, you know I will take what I can get.

Thanks everyone for your advice... yeah I think I am just being alittle hard on myself. I stepped on the scale the day after Christmas... which was just a big mistake. But, you know I am working it... and yesterday I got in my water. I am hopeful in the next week to add exercise to the mix. I work from home so I am hopeful that I can do that at lunch time. If not... you know what? I am not going to beat myself up... because yall are right... atleast I ain't drinking! And, that is what these 24 hours right here are about. The rest can wait... even if my hips do expand alittle.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just ate a bunch of holiday cookies here at work! ARG! Itchy you need to get working on that adult binky idea! Humm putting the word "adult" in front of that brings me to a gutterish type place in my mind.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

1 undone!!!