Notices

I was drunk the past 4 days.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Maybe check this out: Texas Department of State Health Services.

How to Access Substance Abuse Treatment Services.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
So depression is just something everyone goes through with this? How long does it usually last?
What does your doctor say? If you haven't spoken with a doctor about your depression and thoughts of sucide ..... do it, or get to the nearest ER.

This isn't going to just get better on it's own or by some great advice given to you ... it going to require you to do some stuff. Less talk, more action.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

3 weeks, Its outpatient, and It was just of people trying to get out of going to prison. It seemes I was the only voluntary person there. I just wish I could afford REAL rehab, thats all I really want.
I havent been through rehab myself Dom...... but I can tell you what every person I know who went through rehab AND has stayed continuously sober has told me: rehab is great, it's actually quite fun, you learn a lot and it's nice to have others around you who are in the same boat.......but once you walk out, rehab is over. Without a commitment to SOME sort of plan of recovery (ie, don't leave the same mind that got you to where you are to figure the rest of your life out), be it AA, SMART, or whatever, recovery ends when rehab ends.

Absolutely, many many ppl need medically supervised detox... no question. But if we're talking about you getting sober and living that way for the rest of your life, why not get involved in AA, RR, SMART, maybe a church group.......whatever......and start working on that. As Keith touched on, AA is by far the biggest, oldest and has had the most successes. I frickin' hated AA......until I went.......and the only reasons I went were because I didn't want to fake court ordered aa sheets for 2 years and because I was prettymuch out of alternatives and my life just hurt........a lot of the time. I had finally burned up all the alternatives too AA and it was the last thing available..... I wasted a lot of time....you don't have to do it that way though.

Really......please....... come join us. You've got a 100% shot at absolutely getting past all that crap that's knocking you around. You've got a 100% chance of having a MUCH better life. And you've got a 100% chance at recovering fully from untreated alcoholism....... -- and yes...it works, it's worked in the passed, it's working now and it's guaranteed.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I just need an inpatient, not outpatient. I need therapy, to get through this depression, if im still depressed, i will just turn right back to drinking. I need at least a 30 day program of intense recovery.
Dominica, I agree with you. But first you need to address the issue of your suicidal thoughts. No rehab, AA or secular organization is qualified or prepared to help you with that. You need to regain your will to live, in order to be ready for rehab. Please, believe me, these thoughts and this depression need to be addressed first.
You are not alone in this, there are others who go through this. And there is no shame in it.
Your little daughter deserves to have her Mom around, a healthy Mom. Do it for her.

There have been many excellent suggestions here. Please follow up on one or several of them. You have options, Dominica. And you have the power to change your life for the better.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thank you everyone. I had to call a doctor this morning, I have been bleeding, (wont go into details) but apparently it has something to do with the amount of alcohol I drink, and they are setting me up with a colon cancer screening, next week. This absolutely frightens me. Did I really drink that much? I am hoping it will go away, but I will be seeing a Dr. soon, maybe get on some antabuse, something. If I am getting internally sick at 25, I can imagine what I will be like 10 years down the road. I appreciate everyones advice.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
If I am getting internally sick at 25, I can imagine what I will be like 10 years down the road.
If you even last ten years at this rate. You might want to try and push that doctor's visit up, though. Internal bleeding doesn't sound good. DayTrader is right about rehab, BTW.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Really? How does the grant thing work?
A lot of rehabs have some funding that allow a few beds to be open to "indigent people". My suggestion would be to call a dozen different places and ask. The worst is they will say no. The holidays & winter will make it a bit harder to get in. You have to be determined & have persistence.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
If you even last ten years at this rate. You might want to try and push that doctor's visit up, though. Internal bleeding doesn't sound good. DayTrader is right about rehab, BTW.
I have a friend that recently drank himself to death. He was in his early 20s.

Alcoholism doesn't discriminate .... old, young, rich, poor. All alcoholics are at risk of death unless they get sober and stay sober.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Yea, with all that is going on with you, inpatient treatment might be a good option... I went because I had to, but you can't drink while you are there and it gets you moving towards your goal... sobriety. Plus you can get at these other issues.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Alcoholism is just exhausting. Something has to change. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Something WILL change ... either you'll get on a path to recovery or your alcoholism will get worse.

I'm really rooting for you Dom.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I am going to get rid of the alcohol tonight, I will start the withdrawl process to get it over with, I just hope its not too bad this time around.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
I have a friend that recently drank himself to death. He was in his early 20s.

Alcoholism doesn't discriminate .... old, young, rich, poor. All alcoholics are at risk of death unless they get sober and stay sober.
Amy Winehouse was not quite 28 when she drank herself to death.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thats scary, and sad.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeff63 View Post
Didn't they have Doctor's there for you to learn from?
At the Salvation Army? Not likely brother.

Although everything else was more or less spot on.

But I do understand what the thread starter is/was saying.

I went through the local Salvation Army program here, in 2007. There were people outside smoking crack at 8am, people buying/selling drugs right out in the open. It's a tough place to stay sober, but I managed to do so for the duration of the 45 day program.

Like people are saying here, it's all a matter of if you want to. Is it easy? No.

But at the end of the day, nobody can force you to take a drink or do drugs.

It's all a matter of choice. Sometimes though, we get so desperate we start to think we have no choice in the matter.

That much, I think we all can agree with.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Well said, Squizz.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

If you are bleeding internally you really should be going to the ER. The payment issue can come afterward. I know for me if I saw blood that would be the last straw. And it scares me that you are going to go through Detox on your own.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
If you are bleeding internally you really should be going to the ER. The payment issue can come afterward. I know for me if I saw blood that would be the last straw. And it scares me that you are going to go through Detox on your own.
Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Well, I get my insurance on the 1st, and they will pay for half the cost of rehab, but i dont want to wait that long

As far as the bleeding, It has been happening about a week, I was kind of hoping it would stop on its own.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Dom -- do you want us to say what you want to hear or are you going to take the advice of pretty much every single person who has responded to this thread and start taking care of yourself?

Has the bleeding stopped on it's own?
Apparently not.
Do something about it.
Please.