Notices

Wish I were numb

Old 12-27-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi soberred. I'm sorry you're having to go through this painful time. It's so hard not to reach for our quick fix. I'm proud of you for deciding against numbing yourself. As you already know, no healing takes place while we're in a fog. It's better to let ourselves experience those emotions and have it done with. Masking the pain prevents us from dealing with it and moving on.

This too shall pass, and you will feel good and hopeful again one day soon. Glad you came here to talk this out.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

(((soberred))) - as you have found out, recovery doesn't mean we are immune to heartbreak or sadness. I've been through 4 funerals, 2 robberies at work (pistol-whipped the second time by a kid who murdered 4 people the next day), being broke, worried about work and going back to school.

I hurt, I was scared, I was angry. However, my first instinct in every one of these situations was "just let me get to SR, and I'll be okay". It's not like SR took all my pain and fears away, it's just that people here understood and cared.

I'm sorry you're hurting, but I promise - with each situation we get through clean/sober, we get just a bit stronger. When we are heartbroken, there are others to help us through it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-27-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just a post to say hang in there soberred. You can get through this. You have a ton of friends here to support you.
God bless.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hey soberred! Lol at "big girl panties." I posted the same thing recently. This time is a challenge and just like any other challenge, this is an opportunity for growth and success or failure and misery. Is it easy? Hell no! Is anything worth having easy? Oh hell no! Is it possible to overcome and stay sober? Of course! But it is up to you to use the tools around you. SR, AA, exercise, distractions, the occasional piece of chocolate...there are things out there to help you through these hard times. Alcohol dosen't have to be one of them. This is a time for growth. This is a time to focus on YOU! Do something you enjoy. Then think about how you couldn't have done it drunk. You will find an inner strength you may have never realized you have and you will be proud. Grab the brass ring and succeed. You can.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm so sorry you're going through a such a difficult time - the end of a relationship is one of the hardest things to deal with.

I didn't have the same situation after getting sober, but went through some extreme stress with other issues. I found that the intense emotions weren't constant, but would come in waves and it helped to look at them like I would a
craving to drink, knowing that it would rise in intensity and reach a peak, then slowly subside. The overwhelming feeling doesn't last forever, so I learned to ride them out one at a time.

Keep things as simple and positive as possible. You're learning new skills and getting stronger each day, and that's going to have a big payoff at the end. Treat yourself with compassion, give yourself the time/space you need to heal.

You can do this!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi SoberRed, I'm really sorry you're going through this tough time. I'm glad you're staying focused on sobriety, and not drinking no matter what. You're an inspiration to me. Keep going. I think it will get better for you!!