Notices

Five days sober and still having withdrawals.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Five days sober and still having withdrawals.

Hello,

I just joined this site in hopes of finding some people who may know what I'm going through right now. I am not writing this looking for medical advice, but my problems are of a medical nature.

I'm 27 years old and for the last 6 years or so I've been drinking pretty much daily. The amount I would drink for the first 3 years or so was either 6 to 10 beers, 5 or 6 glasses of wine, or about 5 or 6 shots of liquor daily. Enough to fall asleep but not black out. For the last 3 years I've been drinking significantly more, drinking more often enough to black out and fall asleep. Also, in the last 3 years on two occasions I quit drinking for about 3 months. The last time I quit was about a year ago.

Now my withdrawal symptoms have gotten so bad that I've had to stop drinking. About a month ago I binged for almost 2 weeks, drinking a six pack and a 1.5 liter bottle of wine per night. Toward the end I had a panic attack with extremely high heart rate and cold sweats. Since then I've cut down my drinking dramatically only allowing myself 2 or 3 beers a night. The last time I drank heavily was a 8 days ago at my friend's birthday party. I don't remember half the night. The next day I had 4 beers, the day after that 4 glasses of wine, then the next day 2 beers.

It has now been five days since I had those 2 beers and each night and parts of the day I am still getting cold sweats and irregular heart rates. Typically these only occur at night around 3:00am (which is when I would normally drink).

I am beginning to get worried that I will never get past these withdrawal symptoms. I plan to go to the doctor tomorrow. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had similar experiences with quitting alcohol. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

First things first. The irregular heartbeat can be very serious. I recommend seeing a doctor ASAP. The cold sweats can last quite a while. Mine usually subside by day 5 or 6. Being easily startled and extreme sensitivity to light and sound for me has lasted as long as two weeks, sometimes a little longer. Every case is individual. Risk of seizures (which can be life threatening) can last for over a week after your last drink. Eventually the physical symptoms will subside but things like irritability and insomnia can last for months. This is why counselling and therapy is so important. You may need medication to help you get a jump start. There are anticraving medications and nonaddictive sleep aids out there. You're going to have to suffer through the worst for now but remember that you will never have to experience them again so long as you abstain.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Also, I recommend that you get some blue gatorade (water it down a little. Also, blue is less likely to upset your stomach than red. Something in the dye). Low sodium V8 is excellent for replenishing potassium and gets you some good vitamins. Take a quality miltivitamin, try to eat as healthy as you can and stay hysrated. Support your body and it will mend faster. If you find yourself frustrated and irritated at night (I often do) try to focus on some silly, flippant, mundane task to distract yourself. I find myself coloring like a grade schooler when I need a mind numbing distraction. You'd be surprised how soothing it can be! Posting here is also an excellent distraction. Good luck and good on ya for the planned doctor visit. Welcome!
Old 12-26-2011, 02:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the response. I've experienced the irregular heart rate dozens of times after a good few days of drinking. It usually subsides after the second day. This is the only time it has lasted more than a few days which is why I'm so concerned. I'm sure my doctor will refer me to his cardiologist and I'll wear a heart monitor for 24 hours. And I was planning to take a trip to Oklahoma on Tuesday! Guess that will have to be cancelled.

Oh and thanks for the tip about vitamins. I just read today that I should be taking them. So I took a Vitamin C and a Multivitamin. Plus I've been drinking plenty of water. I sure hope this goes away soon. I've read everywhere that this can continue for at least a week. I'm not worried at all about irritability and insomnia because those are nothing compared to the crappiness I feel when my heart is doing stuff I don't like.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Xyphen - glad you're seeing the Dr - if you feel at all concerned before you can see your own doctor - please go to the ER. It's always best to be safe

Please keep us updated

D
Old 12-26-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee74. After a few hours it'll go away and tomorrow I should be fine when I go see my doctor. The nights are what kill me.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let us know what you hear from the dr.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, Anna, I will. I'm happy with the response I've gotten here, it made me feel a lot better. After I get through this I'll stick around and see if I can help anyone else going through the same thing.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I know the evenings \ nights are terrible, the insomnia alone was a real sobriety-breaker for me on a few attempts. If you can alter your sleep time do so, so you won't be nail-biting all the way up to midnight or 2am. I took Vitamin D complex which can help with the mental fog and keep lots of stuff around to drink, mainly sweetened tea - Your body will be craving the sugar as you withdraw.
I really started having troubles in the mind with anxiety, panic and came close to having seizures on a weekly basis, THANK GOD that has stopped (and\or become much more manageable)
Best Wishes with getting and staying sober, it really does help to come here, read, write, share, learn etc.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi there, it sounds typical of what withdrawals are like, but serious nonetheless. It is impossible for anyone here to diagnose you medically, so better to be safe than sorry and get the pros to help you. Keep posting here, there are very many here who are sober for years and years, and would be keen to see you do well likewise. I hope you get a bit of peace tonight. Noone should have to go thru these horrible episodes, yet go thru them we do again and again sometimes. Join AA or get support to quit. U will not do it alone, trust me.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Originally Posted by Scolova View Post
Vitamin D complex
Edit: sry... I meant Vitamin B Complex
Old 12-26-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Xyphen - congrats on taking the bull by the horns and trying to get sober. Everybody here is rooting for you. With your doctor and good healthy living, I'm sure your physical ailments will subside....until then take solace and pride in being sober this morning!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had 'crazy heart' all the way into the 6th day though not as severe as it was during the extreme physical 3 days. I didn't see a doc (because I was stupid) but I should have. I attributed any heart stuff after day 3 more to the mental aspect of panic and not being able to sleep. My only reason for that is that day 1-3 I couldn't control it, but after that I could calm myself down mentally. Day 10 and on was sweet and kept getting sweeter once I figured out that for me day 10 was the bump to get by without thinking I was cured. Took me 3 tries to figure that out.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the words of encouragement everyone. Looks like my doctor is out today (the day after Christmas) but will be back in his office tomorrow. I'll be sure to make the appointment first thing in the morning. I'll try that Vitamin B Complex today in addition to C and multi-vitamin. Overall yesterday wasn't as bad as the first day sober, but I still hope today (day 6) will be better. And Rooblet, that is what my girlfriend and some of my friends told me - that there were some psychological factors involved. I sure hope thats the case and I'm not like the only human being who will have withdrawals for the rest of his life. I even psych myself out so much that my left arm starts to stiffen and feel weird. =/
Old 12-26-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just like losing weight: you didn't gain it overnight, you're not going to lose it overnight.

I would imagine most of us addicts have been abusing out bodies with alcohol and bad diet for quite some time. It will take time for you body to heal.

I was a heavy drinker and smoker. I'm in week 10 quitting both and just got back to exercising the last 2 weeks. I feel good, but no where near 100% LOL And I don't expect to be 100% after abusing my body for the last ten years!

Good job on Day 6...stay with it as the first two weeks to a month are crucial. If you feel good now, at 4 weeks you'll feel 5x better...honest! :-)
Old 12-26-2011, 09:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you, Ariesdch. But wow, ten weeks and you still aren't 100% back to normal? I guess I have a long road ahead of me. Day 6 and I'm not much better. I read that DTs usually peak around the 5th day so I'm guessing I have almost gotten through the danger zone. The only thing left is slight anxiety and my irregular heart rate. But I also just read on WebMD that irregular heart rate also includes rapid heart rate, which, after thinking about it, isn't really what has been happening to me. My heart rate has been a little high but not abnormal. It usually stays between 80 and 100 bpm (resting is around 65 bpm). So I think all I really have is anxiety and very slight cold sweats, and those kind of psych me out into thinking I'm worse than I really am. Or am I in denial? =P Who knows.

But my girlfriend is calling my doctor at 9:00am and I'm going to see him at his earliest appointment. I am really looking forward to gaining some reassurance from an expert. If I am indeed just psyching myself out and my doc gives me good news, I'll find out tomorrow night.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xyphen View Post
But my girlfriend is calling my doctor at 9:00am and I'm going to see him at his earliest appointment. I am really looking forward to gaining some reassurance from an expert. If I am indeed just psyching myself out and my doc gives me good news, I'll find out tomorrow night.

Good decision, xyphen. Getting a medical opinion will take the guesswork out of what is happening with you and hopefully ease some of the anxiety that the symptoms might be causing you.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That is certainly what I am hoping for. Thanks. Its just like me to decide to quit right before Christmas so I can't see my doctor until I've already driven myself crazy for a week.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Re-Member

As if drinking wasn't driving you crazy already? Just remember that the ER is an option if you can't handle it. Just don't drink because going through all this again is a PITA!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Heh, good point. And I won't forget. I will call 911 if necessary.