Notices

Five days sober and still having withdrawals.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

The beta blocker was a god send for me! Don't be afraid of it. You are on your way to getting through this!!!! YAY!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

8 days of sobriety! And I could not feel better! I woke up waaay later than I planned to. 2:00pm was my goal but my eyes opened at 6:00pm haha. But I don't care, today I feel great. I'll try working on my sleep patterns soon but my main concern is keeping withdrawals at bay.

Ariesdch, Yeah I plan to only take the Clonazepam for a few more days then test the waters and see how I feel without it. Today, actually, because I felt so damn good last night I'm going to see how I feel and only take it if my anxiety comes back. Thanks. Oh and yes I have the Wii, Xbox 360, and Ps2. I would like a Ps3 but the limited number of ps3 exclusive games just aren't worth forking up another $300. Dark Souls! I read in GI that its one of the hardest games ever made. I'd like to try it, and I'm glad to find someone with similar interests. Perhaps we can talk gaming sometime. I'm almost finished with Skyward Sword. And I've given up on Skyrim, but I'll hop back in pretty soon.

Thanks, 1undone. The beta blocker helped a lot.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xyphen View Post
I don't have any personal experience with opiate addiction but after 7 days of suffering through alcohol withdrawal I can tell you that it does get better. It will just take time. And the support of friends and family can make a huge difference. There are a lot of wonderful people here to help you get through this. Congratulations on this first step, TheDuke84. Is 84 the year you were born? If so, we're the same age. The doctor told me that my young age means that I am better able to handle the withdrawal. Just take vitamins, try to eat healthy, and keep moving forward. If you need anything just ask SR. They have been really good to me. Best of luck!

Oh and have you gone to see your doctor yet? It would be a great idea and something I shouldn't have waited 7 days to do. She reassured me and it has made a huge difference.
Xyphen,
I was born in 1984, I haven't seen my doctor, cause the company I work for is self insured, and I dont want them to find out. If it gets to unbearable I will be there for sure. I really should go, but I will see how it will go. Thanks for the supports. Congrats on 8 days that is amazing. I started my own thread to track my progress. Keep in touch on your progress.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Well, its 3:00am, I've taken my Clonazepam and the beta blocker for my heart rate. So far I feel relaxed, no feeling of anxiety or nervousness at all. I'm barely even motivated enough to write this right now. If the next few hours go the same way I'll go to sleep at peace and hopefully wake up nice and rested tomorrow.

I just can't help but wonder though... When I get off the meds will the anxiety just come back? Or should I carefully taper off them after a week when my alcohol withdrawals are sure to be over with? Hmm...
I was also prescribed Clonazepam for anxiety when I was sober. When I was on them I was extremely relaxed. When I got off them all the withdrawal symptoms came back, and I relapsed back into alcohol.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Day 8, it is midnight and I haven't taken any meds so far. I just finished completely cleaning up my room and now plan to eat my first meal of the day and relax. If I start feeling withdrawals I will take a 1/2 dose of Clonazepam and perhaps a 1/2 dose of the beta blocker. We shall see if I need it. While it is tempting to abuse the meds I shall resist.

Thanks, Northrop. That sure is encouraging... But I plan to only use the meds if I feel I absolutely need them. I won't use them unless I'm definitely feeling bad anxiety.

Theduke84, I was looking for your thread but I couldn't find it. Are you using a different screen name? Anyway congrats again. When I find your thread I'll show my support there.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

This is an update, more for myself than anything else. It's 5:07am and I have only taken one Clonazepam at around 1:00am and 1/2 of the beta blocker. I am still feeling just fine and so I think I should be able to sleep without taking anything more. This means that already I have only taken half of what I took last night. Tomorrow I may be able to go without taking any meds at all. We shall see. But at the most I don't see myself needing these meds for more than 5 days. I want to be able to stop taking the meds before actually finishing the bottle. The fear of finishing the bottle and having nothing left in case the anxiety comes back is too great, so I'll finish early so there's still some left. That will just give me some comfort for my first few days off the meds. And once I'm finally over the alcohol withdrawal and through with the meds, I can throw them away and be free again. Life will be mine for the taking!

Thanks, SR, for all the support and words of encouragement. I will keep posting updates and spending plenty of time on here showing the same support you guys have shown me. I appreciate everything.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

hi mate

Thanks, Anna, I will. I'm happy with the response I've gotten here, it made me feel a lot better. After I get through this I'll stick around and see if I can help anyone else going through the same thing.
thiamine and vit b too. good for your nerves etc. best of luck mate. mark
Old 12-29-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Day 8, it is midnight and I haven't taken any meds so far. I just finished completely cleaning up my room and now plan to eat my first meal of the day and relax. If I start feeling withdrawals I will take a 1/2 dose of Clonazepam and perhaps a 1/2 dose of the beta blocker. We shall see if I need it. While it is tempting to abuse the meds I shall resist.

Thanks, Northrop. That sure is encouraging... But I plan to only use the meds if I feel I absolutely need them. I won't use them unless I'm definitely feeling bad anxiety.

Theduke84, I was looking for your thread but I couldn't find it. Are you using a different screen name? Anyway congrats again. When I find your thread I'll show my support there.
Xyphen,
Im using the same screen name it is under letting go of this hell
. Keep up the good fight it will get better.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:43 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 9 and still sober. I was hoping today that I may not have to take the Clonazepam or the beta blocker. Yesterday I took 1 clonazepam and 1/2 beta blocker. At around 2:00am my anxiety and irregular heart rate was starting to come back. I waited until I was sure it wouldn't go away on its own so I took 3/4 of a clonazepam and 1/2 beta blocker. Tomorrow I really hope my anxiety doesn't come back but if it does I'll try reducing my dosage even more and only take 1/2 of a clonazepam and 1/4 of a beta blocker. I may do this for another day or two (only if the anxiety still comes back) then I'll try a night or two without it.

Am I going to have to deal with a few nights of anxiety regardless of reducing my dosages? Is it because I am still only 9 days sober that I am still experiencing withdrawals? I hoped by now I'd be fine... I mean I'm definitely better, I went ice skating today and had dinner with my gf and my Dad. I was fine until 2:00am. And for some reason, eating increases my heart rate. That worries me too. I feel perfectly okay right now but that's because of the meds. Will my anxiety ever go away without alcohol or meds? I'm starting to get a little discouraged.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
HappyHeartJoy

Hi, Xyphen big congrats on your day 9. I really hope your anxiety gets better for you. Hang in there mate.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:31 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks, HappyHeartJoy. I really hope so too. I wanna be off these meds and be fine without anything...
Old 12-30-2011, 11:34 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Today marks ten days of sobriety, and five days since I joined SR! I have met so many wonderful people here who have lifted my spirits, taught me a lot about my addiction, and shown me that there does exist a community of people like me besides AA. I have learned so much from so many people here and I am eternally grateful for everything SR has done for me. Thank you, everyone.

I'm still dealing with a bit of anxiety each night, but my Clonazepam and the beta blocker is doing the trick. I am going to call my Dr. on Monday to see just what she wants me to do with it and how/when to stop taking it. I only take 0.5mg once at night, so I doubt I'll develop any dependency but I'll discuss that with her on Monday. I am way better than I was 5 days ago. Thanks again, SR!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Way to go Xyphen!!! Keep it up man. we're all in this together
Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Way to go, Xyphen. Glad to see you're hanging in there and went to the doc. Use the meds wisely and hope the symptoms will abate soon!

I'll be awake at 3 am right along with you(a bad bout of insomnia) if you need support tonight.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys! And I might take you up on that offer, unentschieden. I'll probably hop on the Recovery chat for a bit around 3, maybe I'll see you there.

And, Happy Sober New Years, everyone!!! 8
Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hello,

I just joined this site in hopes of finding some people who may know what I'm going through right now. I am not writing this looking for medical advice, but my problems are of a medical nature.

I'm 27 years old and for the last 6 years or so I've been drinking pretty much daily. The amount I would drink for the first 3 years or so was either 6 to 10 beers, 5 or 6 glasses of wine, or about 5 or 6 shots of liquor daily. Enough to fall asleep but not black out. For the last 3 years I've been drinking significantly more, drinking more often enough to black out and fall asleep. Also, in the last 3 years on two occasions I quit drinking for about 3 months. The last time I quit was about a year ago.

Now my withdrawal symptoms have gotten so bad that I've had to stop drinking. About a month ago I binged for almost 2 weeks, drinking a six pack and a 1.5 liter bottle of wine per night. Toward the end I had a panic attack with extremely high heart rate and cold sweats. Since then I've cut down my drinking dramatically only allowing myself 2 or 3 beers a night. The last time I drank heavily was a 8 days ago at my friend's birthday party. I don't remember half the night. The next day I had 4 beers, the day after that 4 glasses of wine, then the next day 2 beers.

It has now been five days since I had those 2 beers and each night and parts of the day I am still getting cold sweats and irregular heart rates. Typically these only occur at night around 3:00am (which is when I would normally drink).

I am beginning to get worried that I will never get past these withdrawal symptoms. I plan to go to the doctor tomorrow. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had similar experiences with quitting alcohol. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This is day four for me. My heart is pounding and every muscle in my body aches. It feels like my whole system is screaming out for that chemical that it had become so used to! But when I mentioned this at the meeting, one of the long-timers there made a great point. He said to look at the suffering as indicative of how bad you've gotten and how bad you need recovery. Rather than seeing it as something that will break you down, see it as something to build you up. If you can survive it and deal with it, you can take on anything! And as bad as it is, if we keep drinking, it will only be worse! No pain, no gain! Stay strong!