Notices

Five days sober and still having withdrawals.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, my "hitting bottom" was a visit to the ER room as I was unable to breathe. I had severe alcohol and nicotine poisoning (along with script drugs). I know what the anxiety is like as it took me 12 hours of walking around to even become close enough to getting calm enough to get to the ER. I tried 911, but when they wanted to strap me into the gurney, I panicked and couldn't do it..I HAD TO KEEP MOVING....it was pretty bad. I even tried to pull IV's and monitoring lines out from me after an hour since they were taking their sweet time in getting me something to calm down. Oh yeah, my heart rate? 152! not good at all

10 weeks in is nothing..this is my second go at recovery after relapsing 10 years ago. Like I stated earlier, you can't fix that kind of abuse quickly.

And don't misunderstand me, when I relapsed, I was clean and sober, totally buff from working out a year, 5 times a week. 3 months ago, I was 300 lbs. What I mean is I'm no where near 100% of what I USED to be.

Stick to it with all your might....trust me you don't want to end up in the ER like I did.

<edit> Be careful with your doctor too. When I went back to mine after the ER visit, I was put on Zoloft....and then they cancelled my "relationship" with them (I was unemployed and not insured). The Zoloft was like throwing gas on a fire and then it was going to run out in 30 days...talk about PANIC ATTACKS!!! I quit that day :-0
Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome and dont put yourself threw it again.

Yes to your question I have detoxed several severe times once in ended up in the ICU another I went to the ER.

For me i dont sleep a minute for the first three days after a lot of vomit. Then hallucantions start. but on day 4 to 5 I finally get sleep which helps a ton. I get the sweats and shake for weeks. Even on ativan. But the doctors tell me i always will have some tremors. To much nerve damage due to the direct result of alcholol.

Lots of fluids and vitamins especially the B ones. And know you defenitly are not alone in going the hell of it.

And by the way hang in there fellow texan. I grew up in The Woodlands. now live in Cleveland Ohio.

Keep comin back.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks, Ariesdch and Indamiricale. Luckily I have never had to experience alcohol or nicotine poisoning. Nor have I ever wound up in the ER because of withdrawals. Your stories have shown me just how bad it could have been if I had waited even longer to do this. I have experienced a mild hallucination once and that in itself was scary. But after reading everyone's replies I now know that it could be much much worse. Thanks again.

Indamiricale, the Woodlands are great! I go to Cynthia Woods for concerts every now and then. Beautiful part of Houston. But it is a drive for me being way down in Clear Lake.

On a side note, this web site so far seems to be much more effective for me than AA meetings. In the spirit of anonymity this just seems like the natural choice for discussing addiction problems and seeking support. AA just never seemed to work so this just might be the place for me.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The withdrawal could take a while. Took me about 2 weeks before the physical effects wore off- and they didn't really start kicking in until day 6 or 7. So you could just be on the upswing.

It passes fast though.

And good luck with the doctor. Don't blow that off.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I could just be on the upswing? Meaning, it could still get worse for me before it gets better? Ah geez... I thought I was through the worst of it.

I've been having these withdrawals for the entire 6 six days so far, surely I must be at least halfway through the rough part, right?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Having a little panic attack... Trying everything I can to keep my heart rate down. My girlfriend told me to call her if this happens but I don't want to bother her. I hope this ends soon... I can't take this anymore.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Xyphen,

Are you still there? I just sent you a PM, too.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Frankie, Yeah I'm still here. Been watching Netflix keeping my mind off things. I replied to your PM. Thanks for your concern. I hate this so freaking much.

Sorry I missed ya. I am feeling better now. I really appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great! Distraction is good. I hope it is something funny or relaxing you are watching on netflix.

Sent you another PM, with some tips and more questions. I'll be around....
Old 12-27-2011, 02:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Funny shows with quick run times and lots of short jokes are the best for keeping distracted. Oh and holy cow, either the mind is easy to fool if you're desperate enough for a cure or this acupressure stuff really works! Thanks again for the tips. I never knew massaging my wrists could help with anxiety. Its ironic, normally when I'm anxious I hold my wrist just to feel my pulse.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xyphen View Post
Thanks again for the tips. I never knew massaging my wrists could help with anxiety. Its ironic, normally when I'm anxious I hold my wrist just to feel my pulse.
It is not ironic at all, xyphen. Our minds and bodies store innate wisdom that we are not even conscious of.
I have seen so many instances where people instinctively touch or massage acupressure/acupuncture points that will help ease their situation, without any knowledge at all of Acupressure or TCM.

Glad to know you are seeing your Dr. tomorrow
Old 12-27-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Rough night Xyphen! Good job of hanging in there, hope you got in to your doc OK.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I put my anxiety during withdrawal to working on cleaning an apartment I had neglected for a year and that was brown with smoke film.

And playing video games for endless hours. And lots of sometimes very HOT or very COLD showers. And going to the stores even to just walk around and get out of the apartment; which at the time, was like a prison cell.

And I ate WHATEVER I wanted to, which was a lot of candy as it made me feel better; I cared not about any weight gains even though I was pushing 300 lbs.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Well, I finally went to the doctor today. My doctor was still out so I had to see another doctor who turned out to be really helpful. She explained to me that I'm in the second stage of withdrawals. The first was the initial 24-48 hours of withdrawals I experienced. The second is the stage I'm just about to be done with today (7th day sober). Apparently days 5 to 7 are the most dangerous for people who are experiencing moderate to severe withdrawals. This is when you're most likely to get DTs. This visit made me feel tremendously better. She said that because I'm only going through this at night instead of all day, I'm over the physical withdrawals and its mostly psychological.

She prescribed me Clonazepam for anxiety and a beta blocker for my irregular heart rate. Took 1/2 of the benzo and right now I'm feeling pretty relaxed, although it hasn't done much for my heart rate. We'll see later on tonight if any of this helps. I'm scared to take the beta blocker. What if my heart goes too low? Anyway, I feel 100 times better now that I've gone to the doctor.

Ariesdch, I have enjoyed cleaning up my room when I'm feeling anxious. Also, I've been playing tons of video games too so I know what you mean. Finishing up Skyward Sword now, about to start up Final Fantasy XIII again before the sequel, trying out Fallout 3, and just got Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for Christmas. So video games will play a huge role in filling the gap left by alcohol.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Xyphen,

Thank you for the update and congratulations with 7 days sober!!

Frankie
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you saw your Dr.

I generally trust my Dr's judgement unless I have reason not to, then I'd get a second opinion

If you were honest with them, and I see no indication you weren't, they gave you the treatment they thought best applicable to your individual case, Xyphen

D
Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Just starting the detox process of coming off opiates, and have to go to work. Also need to see if there is some tips to help or just some encouragement.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I don't have any personal experience with opiate addiction but after 7 days of suffering through alcohol withdrawal I can tell you that it does get better. It will just take time. And the support of friends and family can make a huge difference. There are a lot of wonderful people here to help you get through this. Congratulations on this first step, TheDuke84. Is 84 the year you were born? If so, we're the same age. The doctor told me that my young age means that I am better able to handle the withdrawal. Just take vitamins, try to eat healthy, and keep moving forward. If you need anything just ask SR. They have been really good to me. Best of luck!

Oh and have you gone to see your doctor yet? It would be a great idea and something I shouldn't have waited 7 days to do. She reassured me and it has made a huge difference.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:12 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Well, its 3:00am, I've taken my Clonazepam and the beta blocker for my heart rate. So far I feel relaxed, no feeling of anxiety or nervousness at all. I'm barely even motivated enough to write this right now. If the next few hours go the same way I'll go to sleep at peace and hopefully wake up nice and rested tomorrow.

I just can't help but wonder though... When I get off the meds will the anxiety just come back? Or should I carefully taper off them after a week when my alcohol withdrawals are sure to be over with? Hmm...
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Just don't get hooked on the Clonzaepam!!! LOL The anxiety *should* taper-off, but go with your doctor's directions. IMO, I wouldn't be on the stuff for more than 2 months.

Skyward Sword? A Wii player huh? Any other consoles? I have Xbox 360 and PS3. Just got Dark Souls last night with Christmas money :-) Played Demon's Souls already. Man, those are some tough games!

Good Job on the sobriety and stick with it!