Notices

Does Normal Feel Normal?

Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Normal for me is remembering who I said what to.

Normal for me is remembering appointments.

Normal for me is having an even keeled mood. Not freaking out over some little thing.

Normal for me is not having all those aches and pains associated with overdoing it while drugging and drinking.

Normal for me is not gaining weight. (I always gained while drinking and using)

Normal for me is having an schedule. I love them now, they make me free more and more NORMAL.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I thought about this same thing the other day.

One of the best parts of normal is being able to plan things and knowing that I'm going to follow through with them. I no longer have to cancel/reschedule things at the last minute because I'm dealing with a blistering hangover.

It's great to just wake up, have my coffee, start my day, live my life, and never have to think about alcohol.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I completely understand. My normal has been my drinking lifestyle for so long that I'm having to find and take joy in new "normal" activitings and feelings. I think I now know how Rip Van Winkle felt when he woke from his 20 year nap. Everything around me is the same but different. I guess it took me years to develop my old normal life that it's going to take more than a few weeks or even months to develop and get used to a new normal.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

For me, not drinking has felt normal for a long time. When you think about it, that makes sense, right? Early on it's going to feel strange not to be drinking anymore, but with time, one does get used to it, and eventually it's the "new normal".
Old 12-23-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So a funny thing (though painful). Smashed my finger in the door this morning. Just plain stupid, not drunk stupid. Hurts as much but I won't wait to feel it 24 hours lateer and think where'd that come from?
Old 12-24-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Here is that scene from Matrix. Cypher, who agent Smith calls Reagan has been out of the cocoon (sober) for nine years. He decides the real world will never give him the power and greatness he wants. So he meets with Smith to get back into the matrix and give his body back to the cocoon/casket (bottle) and relinquish control in return for the illusion of self worth. (drunk) He meets with Smith for a try of the old illusion of eating when he is not, remembering how much he missed the matrix telling his brain that he was experiencing something that was just illusion. (Alcohol brain telling us we are suave and witty and oh so attractive, when in that condition to one who is sober, we are the opposite. So he tries the old illusion again (Relapses) and decides he can handle it and betrays Neo, and all the real world. His reason? Ignorance is bliss.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome brother. thanks for that .

To all =