Notices

BLACKOUTS and binge drinking

Old 12-22-2011, 12:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
If you read racbord's post (you obviously didn't read it well, or you'd know she was pregnant and hence female) it is also clear the raqbord dismissed her earlier position that she was "highly functional", by citing several examples in her own life and her desire to seek sobriety.
Where in the post is racbord pregnant?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Frankie12 View Post
One thing that always amazes me (one reason I do not like AA) is that one recovering alcoholic makes fun ("LOL") of another, as a "drunk".

Really? Is that necessary?

If raqbord considered him/herself "highly functional" and you weren't, does that mean what applies to you, must apply to him?

The important part here is that we all are on a journey to change, highly functional, low functional or not functional at all.
I referred to myself as a (former) drunk. I do not consider myself a recovering anything, however, and I most certainly do not consider myself to be an alcoholic or otherwise on a journey to change. My perspective was given so that raqbord might quit while she's ahead and thus avoid my own stupidity. If she chooses not to, however, that is certainly her prerogative, and she is welcome to it.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

TU,
Obviously, I am sorry I opened this can of worms.
My post was in no way directed at your post.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Frankie12 View Post
TU,
Obviously, I am sorry I opened this can of worms.
My post was in no way directed at your post.
No bother.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

lets remember these threads might just be someones introduction to SR.

Let's all re-focus on the OP, guys
D
Old 12-22-2011, 01:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR snoozeqz

D
Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am positive about my sobriety! I can't wait to have sober vacations and sober holidays! Wow, not hung over the next day. However, its kind of scarey to put that out there. What if I fail? That would really suck.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Raq, then you dust yourself off and try again.

Let's think positive though!

If you feel like drinking, logon here and tell someone.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to being a mom and having a drinking problem. When my drinking was completely out of control, I thought it would be a good idea to get pregnant because that would fix my problem - I wouldn't be able to drink. My first baby came and I went right back to my old tricks. I was so naive that I thought, since my plan didn't work the first time, I would have another baby and make sure it worked the second time. It didn't. Now I have a five year old and a two year old who deserve a better mother than what they have. And I am going to make sure that they get that mother. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome here raqbord, glad to hear you want to move away from the madness of the drinking life and find a way to stay comfortably sober without enduring constant conflict, drama, hypersensitive feelings and making endless half-hearted apologies for screwing up.

Hope you find participating in AA as rewarding as I have.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

WOW. I could have written this verbatim myself. I too have always had a binge drinking problem. I actually took myself to A.A before I found out I was pregnant. I went to A.A for a while after that, but for reasons I won't get into here, stopped. I didn't drink at all while pregnant, and I too thought I wouldn't go back to that type of drinking after my son was born. I was WRONG as well. Listen, I've been going back and forth with this for 5 years since my son was born, and yours is only 10 months. Don't wait another 4 years to do something like I am now.

I have a very similar drinking pattern. I can and do moderate or abstain for days at home. If my husband comes home with a 6 pack of beer, we'll share it or I'll have one or two and that will be it--my off switch seems to work perfectly well at home in a non-social situation. However, when I drink socially, it stops working!!!-- and the last two times I hung out with our new friends down the street (another family with a young boy) they love to booze it up and drink wine, and I've blacked out the end of the evening the last two times I've hung out with them.

Yep, sounds exactly like me. I've been struggling to understand this phenomena for years. I'm finally realizing that I'm going to have to quit entirely, and that even though I can moderate under certain situations, I can't do it consistently so it's all gotta go.

Good luck from someone who knows right where your at.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Was gonna comment but...thread is from a year ago.