Notices

Thrifty just joined

Old 12-21-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thrifty just joined

Hi all I just joined today and am quite hopeful. I am new to this forum thing, but not to trying to quit. I guess by that I mean more than a decade of actually trying to control it and before that, over a decade of not even realizing my drinking was a problem. I'm done trying tomplay the moderation game. Just came here for ideas and support. Hopefully soon I might be of assistance to someone here.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Thrifty!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wlcome to SR
Old 12-21-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting Thrifty... stay positive that you can quit.. don't measure the time in which you've fought the battle, measure the time in which you are winning the battle. There are those on here that have drank for 40+ years and now are completely sober. We're here to support you, we've got stories of our own, and we've told ourselves it would be ok to start in moderation again, when it wasn't. You're definitely in good company, keep coming back and updating us on how things are going!
Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Thrifty - welcome

yeah I think you'll find most people here have already tried moderation. I know it never worked for me...

What did work was accepting my relationship with alcohol was terminally toxic.

I found it freeing to get alcohol out of my life entirely - it was such a relief to give up that struggle of trying to control my drinking.

I really don't regret my decision. I'm glad you've made it too

D
Old 12-21-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome!

Great to have you here.
I tried to moderate for years, but was soon back at it full throttle. Abstinance is the only way for me.

I hope you feel free to post as often as you like. We're all in this together.

Best to you.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the welcome!
Old 12-21-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!

My experience with moderation is that it doesn't work well for me.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey thrifty! It's great to have you with us. You sound positive and ready to do this.

I drank for almost 30 yrs. & for a long time I didn't realize what a problem it was either. Eventually, any control I had was gone. I crashed & burned terribly towards the end of my career. SR helped me to see the light, and I began to get well. I was so thankful to not be alone anymore. I hope you feel the same.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

moderation is a joke. It can't be done ( for me at least) .

I really wish Moderation was an option for me.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Thrifty.

I no how you feel. I'm off the sauce 4 months now and am thinking of having a few in moderation over Xmas. 26th of Dec is a big night for drinking in Ireland (even more than usual) but do I drink then on the 28th there's a night out is the question. I was going to have 1 tonight watching a footie game but my wife went crazy at me. So she's obviously not totally happy about me drinking again even though she bought me beer for the house for Xmas day, because she says that is ok because it's an occasion!

So confused. 1 thing I do no is there has been no hassle in the last 4 months without the sauce. But also not much fun either if I'm to be honest..
Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DD28 View Post
So she's obviously not totally happy about me drinking again even though she bought me beer for the house for Xmas day, because she says that is ok because it's an occasion!
That is an extremely dangerous experiment you're about to embark on. If it were me, I would probably be back to daily uncontrollable drinking within a couple days after those "Christmas beers". Good luck bud.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sound thanks mw. What's annoying me about it is it's like it's ok for me to drink in moderation when she says so.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi thrifty and . . .

I am not clear from your posts what you are looking. Is it for support and ideas about quitting? If so you sure came to the right place. I used SR when I quit along with the VA docs, family and friends support and counseling/rehab you name it I used it. I no longer drink and know moderation does not work for anybody that is hooked. I drank for decades too, and for the last two years of drinking I went downhill fast. If I can quit you can quit. Post away we are here for ya!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome DD from Dublin!
That sounds like it deserves its own thread here in the newcomers forum. Why not start one so it gets the attention it deserves?
Old 12-21-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Thrifty,

There is life after alcohol, a good one but you need a program. I am coming up to 7 months sober and am enjoying a good sobriety with the help of this forum and AA.
I suggest you find a program that suits you.

Merry Christmas

DD28,
Good on you for the 4 months sober. Your post worries me your sobriety seems a bit shaky, perhaps you could start a new thread and really talk about what is going on in your life at the moment.
I would hate it if you lost that 4 months, weird isn't it, I don't even know you but your sobriety is so important to me.
Let us help you to look at what is going on and how you could perhaps change some things to make for a happier and healthier sobriety.

Merry Christmas
CaiHong
Old 12-21-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome thrifty!

Moderation didn't work for me either......I was never satisfied - Ialways wanted just one more.

You deserve to get out from under this. Keep reading and posting!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sorry for diving in with 2 feet thrifty didn't mean to take over. Well done and keep up the good work. I found a few weeks of talking to a counsillor does wonders if that's any help to you.

Thanks for the comments back to me from everyone else.