Notices

going to perth

Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

going to perth

Hey I am from Ireland and im travellin to perth in jan, Im 21 I am been sober almost a year( new years eve 2010 was last drink) now. I am going over for approx a year...cant wait I know it will be difficult to stay sober over there but I am going to go to meetings and give it my best shot. IF anyone in perth knows anything about meeting in perth could they give me a shout . Thanks.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been to Perth and WA - its an amazing place.

Outdoor activities are a big part of Australian culture and there are hundreds of outdoor things that you can do instead of drinking - beaches, freemantle, sports, bbq's walks, shopping etc. Take a look online as there will be loads of website promoting different activities you can try in the Perth area.

If you get the opportunity travel north and go to Monkey Mia or Coral Bay.

Enjoy Australia as I also spent 1 year there (back packing) and totally loved it - you will be too busy having a great time to even think about alcohol.

Are you going to work while you are there?

If only I could go back for another year - you have made me jealous
Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Hi,

My husband and I lived just outside Perth for 2 years -- but that was 34 years ago!

Loved it there. Beautiful countryside, wonderful people.

FT
Old 12-21-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for the reply guys. Ya im going over to friends there but they do enjoy drinkin themselves but they know I am off the drink and they are supporting, but if I wanna drink I know they wont stop me.. im afraid the loneliness might get the better of me, what are the meetings like over there? and yes I am going over there to work for the year as I have taken a year out of college here in Ireland.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I presume you mean Perth Australia and not Scotland lol.

I'm way on the other side of the country but I've been sober nearly 5 years - regardless of the sun and the boozy culture, it's absolutely possible to stay sober and be happy about it

Meeting Search
(just scroll down in the menu to Perth WA)

welcome to SR!
D
Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thats great to hear, and yes i mean oz and not scotland haha.. I think the age thing with me being only 21 gets to me.. I still think im too young to give up booze but I know this disease wants me dead. Im sure I can make off meetings in perth, off the drink a year in two weeks time and im kinda giving myself a pat on the back saying well done go have a beer, but then i know ill be right back at the start!!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Thanks Dee. That is a GREAT site!!!!!

I have bookmarked it for next year. Yep am in the planning stages to come back to Oz for a bit, roflmao

I can check for wherever I am going to be. I see Alice now has 4 meetings a week, it used to be 2, then 3, and now 4. Alice is growing!!! lol

Excellent site for Oz, I LOVE it!!!!!!

Manunited, it looks like there are 107 meetings a week in the Perth area, that will give you lots of meetings to check out, lol

And as said, Oz is very 'outdoors' prone. Lots of outdoor activities and fun activities. I personally enjoy staying with friends on their station (ranch) outside Alice Springs, right on the edge of the Outback.

Enjoy your year, check out the meetings, you may get 'hooked' enough that you too will emigrate to Oz, lol

As you can tell I LOVE Australia!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 12-21-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

There is a Perth in Scotland?

Geez, don't tell my husband....

FT
Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think anyone's too young to give up the booze MU...I wish I'd had been self aware in my early 20s I could have saved myself 2 decades of trouble and sorrow.

D

ps The Scottish one is the original FT

pps Bring the sun lotion Laurie - it's a hot one

D
Old 12-21-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcoholics Anonymous Perth CSO W.Australia
Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks for the reply guys, I hope I can stay sober over there but I know it will be tough, there is a voice in the back of my head saying it will be different this time and I will control it better... but I must not listen to that demon..
Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you want to stay sober, manunited, you can
It's that simple really - not easy - but simple

D
Old 12-22-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by manunited View Post
thanks for the reply guys, I hope I can stay sober over there but I know it will be tough, there is a voice in the back of my head saying it will be different this time and I will control it better... but I must not listen to that demon..
Yeah, don't listen to it. That's your "alcoholic voice". We all have one.

Your youth is such an advantage. If you can stay sober, you'll get to enjoy all that life can offer, and actually REMEMBER it. You'll keep your youthful good looks longer, and you'll keep your dignity. You'll never be that person who embarrasses themselves and ends up being a nuisance to everyone else at the end of the night. I wish I'd found sobriety at 21. It would have saved me years of misery.

But I can see how it might seems different from your side of the fence. Getting drunk is almost a rite of passage for young people in the UK and Ireland. You see all your mates going out drinking and you kinda think "Why can't I". But you know you're better off without it.

Enjoy Perth. If you can stay off the booze, you'll literally have the time of your life.

God, I wish I was 21 again!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks for the reply guys, and yes I know I would have a great time over der if I went and stayed sober but part of me wants to have a bit of fun and drink and try and control it.. i suppose thats my disease talking .. I suppose I cant have both!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

any1 else from perth or oz on this?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((manunited)))))

Just remember one thing.........................................

Wherever you go YOU TAKE YOU WITH YOU. So you can stay sober in Perth, just like you are staying sober now.

It is a great opportunity for you to visit another country. Especially Oz!!!

Of course, I may be just a teeny teeny bit prejudice as I fell totally and completely in love with Australia, the first time I visited in May of 1987. lol

J M H O but go ahead and go and have a great time!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 12-27-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep Aussie here too and I can totally agree with Dee. Addiction does not care how old you are, it can destroy you young or old.

I know people both young and old in this great country (p.s. you will love Australia) who have managed to recover from alcohol. You can do this if it is what you want. Gosh, and how wonderful to remember every detail of your adventure with a clear head!!

Have a good one! :ghug3