Notices

The Perfect Job For Me???

Old 12-21-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Perfect Job For Me???

Some of you know that I've been unemployed since being laid off at the height of the recession in 2008. Indeed, unemployment indirectly led me to seek treatment for my alcohol abuse recently and less than a week ago I completed that treatment. Now it's back to the job hunt.

Yesterday I had a meeting with the family counselor to talk about where I might look for work, whether my substance abuse would qualify as a disability and perhaps lead to job training. Just for the heck of it the counselor pulled up the website for the hospital and lo and behold, there is a position open at the treatment center! It's only part time to start with but decent money and though I don't have previous hospital experience the job is something I am more than qualified to do. Plus, a high percentage of the employees are recovering addicts themselves.

I came home yesterday and immediately logged on to the website and - I couldn't find the job!!! I looked through nearly 200 positions so I must just be missing it, a proverbial needle in the haystack or something.

I have a call in to the family counselor in hopes that she can assist me in locating it again because I REALLY want to apply.

SO... I would appreciate all the good vibes I can get from you guys! Come on, send 'em my way!!!!!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you!!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck - my crystal ball said that you will be working again very soon

I'm not sure how it works in America but ask your councilor if they know someone who could possibly assist with interview technique/ CV assistance. Its always worth a little extra help when looking for a job.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, England, will do that. I think I'll also check to see if my personal counselor (different than the family counselor) will let me use her as a reference.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck with tracking down the job and getting your application in.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You deserve it, hope it comes fast enough before you are snapped up by a job you don't find as interesting.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
You deserve it, hope it comes fast enough before you are snapped up by a job you don't find as interesting.
After over two years of looking for a job in a crappy economy, I highly doubt I'll be snapped up anytime soon. :rotfxko

However, I HOPE I get the chance to submit my application for this job before IT is snapped up by someone else!!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good vibes coming your way, Red.

I filed for and got disability for dual diagnosis- bi-polar alcoholism if you ever have any questions.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I don't have the required sober time for the position in the treatment center. Bummed, but what can I do?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Does it occur to you that for the last two years you weren't sober? Keep working on it and serendipity will happen. Are you doing anything for others? Try serving needier others some way and see what happens. When my life seems to be not producing the normal pennies from heaven I realize I was all in myself and not helping others at all. I hate to say this but even if you are looking for a return it works. Why do you think from colloquial what goes around comes around to religious statements of casting bread upon waters, or karmic balance are so persistent. I have to be personally involved face to face, not just writing a check or working at it online alone. Try it and see. If you aren't too busy does that hospital need any volunteers in that part of it? See, more jobs than you may realize come from the volunteer ranks because you already a known quantity, and proven trainable. You have communication skills this I know.

Originally Posted by flamingredhair View Post
After over two years of looking for a job in a crappy economy, I highly doubt I'll be snapped up anytime soon. :rotfxko

However, I HOPE I get the chance to submit my application for this job before IT is snapped up by someone else!!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank, Itchy. I'm not going to let it get me down.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Does it occur to you that for the last two years you weren't sober?
I think Itchy is spot-on here. Yes the economy is crappy but people apply for and get jobs every day, and we probably weren't trying our hardest or helping ourselves when we were not sober. Now that we are trying our best and staying sober, good things are bound to come our way!

Good luck with finding a job, I'm sure you will if you keep at it. I think working with other recovering alcoholics/addicts would be a great opportunity.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

best of luck FRH

D