Notices

confused and would like insight

Old 12-21-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

confused and would like insight

hi everyone,

I'm currently just about managing to keep my life under control. Having said that i missed a week from work last week, claiming to have hurt my back,(not true, i was hungover from our work xmas party and petrified of attending a high level management meeting) and worked from home, as had increased my drinking so much I was up to approx 20+units a day for 3 days in a row.
I am a regular low level drinker, about 3-6 units a night on average, and I avoid and very rarely binge. However, i have found myself on this site several times over the last week and previously, about 6 months and a year ago for the same reason, prolonged heavy drinker.

I am currently trying to taper off and it's difficult. not so much physically but mentally, I'm on about day 4 and 9 units from a start amount of 26. and I refuse to check into treatment, at least at this stage, i will not openly admit that i have an alcohol problem, it's too risky and would like to try myself to address first. I would then happily admit after the fact but because it's really my first major scare with alcohol i don't want to panic or alienate family and friends.

I guess my ultimate question is a) if i've been drinking so heavily for a week, will the smell of alcohol be noticeable on me to others? and b) is the only person who can decide if I need to stop altogether me, or are there any words of wisdom, things I should read etc that may help me to decide?

thanks all! i'm sorry for rambling. I find this stie really inspiriing and the amount of strength and support is amazing.

Best wishes,
Charlie

Last edited by charliesmarties; 12-21-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: typo errors
Old 12-21-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Charlie

about smell - no matter how many showers I took - I smelled of booze - since being sober I've been around people who obviously been hitting it and they reek too...

you are the only person who can decide to stop yeah - but you'll find a lot of advice and support here

If you very rarely binge - but you've binged a lot recently, there's obviously a progression happening here. I think you're right to think about it and to consider doing something about it

D
Old 12-21-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee,
Having read through a couple other posts from other threads now, I've alot to think about. I appreciate your advice. Merry Christmas!

Charlie
Old 12-21-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too Charlie - hope you'll keep dropping in though

D
Old 12-21-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Charlie,

It took until I was ready to do something about it - in fact others didn't think I had an issue - but I do. Like is much clearer sober - and I have to say the sleep is great as well.

There is a ton of support here and opinions. Many folks who have been though it.

Good luck
Old 12-21-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The shame is very harmful in my experience - it causes us to sneak, and lie, and avoid seeking help, and separate ourselves from friends and family.

Imagine how good it would feel to be completely honest, to fear no disclosure!
This can be achieved in 2 ways: telling people you have a problem, and eliminating that problem so you don't have to conceal it any more.

For me, a week off work due to a hangover, and then spending that week drinking, would be a sign that "keeping life under control" has already left the building.

What about talking to a doctor? They keep confidentiality. I found this very helpful - as a reality check - when I was quitting.

In any case welcome to the board and best wishes in making the needed changes!