SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sobriety and getting life on track. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/243933-sobriety-getting-life-track.html)

Gerbosko 12-20-2011 01:55 PM

Sobriety and getting life on track.

Warning - Long post - I'm not going to sum it up so you "TL;DR" (too long; didn't read) folks can look away LOL

Over the past week I was really stressed out (which showed in some of my posts) and in the stressful time, I didn't have one thought about drinking. I'm a little over two months sober (2 months, 3 days) and the reason for the stress was due to school and upcoming testing that I was worried about.

Before I quit drinking I just had a job and I wasn't happy - acted semi normal at work but I was always tired, hungover, and felt crappy from the night before. The night of the 16th of October I was drinking, had several beer cans beside my desk (my hiding spot) and I had about 20-30 cans there from previous nights and there I was finishing my 12 pack that I bought on Saturday. I got really depressed that night and didn't like anything at all - yet I made a 1,000 mile move, had a job, transportation, mountains, nature, and several things going for me, yet there I was moping over my life.

I had enough, not suicidal or anything but just really depressed and I there I was with a beer can in my hand - The connection was made at that point in my opinion. I finished up the beer and went to bed.

I woke up feeling like crap, depressed, and sick.. I saw the beer cans sitting in a tower beside my desk and the beer cans from last night scattered on my desk - what the hell was going on with me? I should be happy! I went to work and when I got home I knew I had enough of this alcoholism and I said no more - I searched google and found SR. I made my first post and that Monday was my first day sober in over a year. The year before I went sober for two months, but relapsed, but I had no support and I had my second brother move in with me and about a few weeks living with him and stress made me go back to drinking heavy.

Anyways - Since I'm sober I've been improving my life, I noticed that I was tired for the first few days with bad cravings but I was drinking tons of water and keeping my mood upbeat and happy - and boy, what a difference that made. I had support for the first time (thanks SR!) and I had things going my way.

With almost a month sober, I lost my job due to not having a High School diploma or GED. I lied on my application when I applied and their background service basically busted me. I went home and cried and was really depressed, had bad cravings but I took a bath, relaxed, and went out for a LONG walk and thought about my sobriety and life. I had huge SR support in my october thread and I'm so glad I did - I knew I wouldn't go back drinking, but I had alcohol withdrawl big time because of stress. I never did drink over that very stressful situation and I'm so very thankful - I owe it to SR and my own commitment to sobriety. I found a new job within 2 weeks.

After losing my job because of no diploma, I called and made an appointment to start going back to school and getting my s* together. I studied HOURS on end and then came the week before the exam, I was really stressing out and I had a horrible day the day of the exam - Remember, I never dealt with real stress outside of the two situations (job loss and exam) without drinking, so I'm still learning. I passed both tests with flying colors, I scored well over 100 points MORE than what is required to pass them.. I just found out today by the way :D.

Anyways - Stick with sobriety, Life will get hard but boy oh boy - you can do so much with your life (even in really stressful times) if you stick to your plans and keep on your path of sobriety. If I can do it, you can do it. Relapsing multiple times is not "normal", it's not healthy, and it will just make you think it's okay to keep relapsing - it's not. Take control of your life and deal with situations as they come. I may of been a crab with the stress, which is not a good excuse, but at least I wasn't stumbling out of a bar and driving home.

I would still be crying and drinking over the first stressful situation and I still wouldn't have a job if I was drinking.

Stay sober and take care of your life.

Sparkydog 12-20-2011 02:04 PM

Excellent post, great job, keep up the good vibes.

Dee74 12-20-2011 02:16 PM

A really inspiring post Gerbosko - thanks...and congrats again on your achievement :)

D

recoverywfaith 12-20-2011 02:31 PM

:c029:...Awesome~~Congrats~~

Pigtails 12-20-2011 02:32 PM

Thank you for the post; I read it all and it didn't seem long-winded but then again **I** am very long-winded ha ha. I want to thank you for passing along the very practical and good tips. Take care of myself, keep my mood happy and positive, drink a lot of water. These are easy things to do and you're right, they do make a big difference. :) I'm sorry to hear you lost your job but I'm glad you are keeping a positive attititude in sobriety and not turning to alcohol. Things will keep getting better and better for you!

Gerbosko 12-20-2011 02:38 PM

Thanks Everyone :)

Originally Posted by Pigtails (Post 3212273)
I'm sorry to hear you lost your job

If I didn't lose my job, I wouldn't be going back to school. Since I look back at how and why it happened, I'm actually kinda thankful because it kicked my butt into gear to get an education. I'm now hoping I can further my education after the GED.. Things happen for a reason.

tanja 12-20-2011 02:42 PM

Congratulations! Your post demonstrates how much committment, handling emotions head-on and support is to maintaining sobriety. It is commendable that you handled such stressful situations in early sobriety and prevailed. I never had a doubt you would pass with flying colors!

EmeraldRose 12-20-2011 05:57 PM

That was a long post, Gerby...I just read the last paragraph where the good stuff is.
LOL Just kidding.
I'm proud of you...I do believe things happen for a reason. You kicked your but and got your act together and look at you now. The horizon is endless, your choices unlimited, your heart has opened to a whole new aspect on life. We're all entitled to alittle crabbiness -and for you with good reason. Great job.

Oh, and for what its' worth I passed my driving test today with a 91%. LOL

Thank goodness for sobriety. Keep swimming...:funjump:

debsam 12-20-2011 06:10 PM

Too long?? - I wanted more!!! :)

Great post

Vantrina 12-20-2011 06:29 PM

What an inspiring post…thank you. Congratulations on passing your GED with flying colors! That's a big deal. :)

room4growth 12-20-2011 07:20 PM

thank you for your post Gerbosko. I was having a rough day but that cheered me up and gave me motivation to keep with it. Congrats on passing your tests too.

soberlicious 12-20-2011 07:21 PM

Great post. Awesome you blew that test out of the water. 100 points over...now that's how it's done!

Every time you meet these stressful situations head on and get through, it gets a little easier. I think about it as exercising my coping muscle lol

Isn't it cool to be taking a new direction in life? I enjoyed reading your post.

collegegirl 12-20-2011 07:46 PM

Thank you. I love reading uplifting posts like this. Reminds me of why I'm putting myself through this...