Notices

Day 1 For me

Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 For me

Hi all, so far I've gone 24 hrs. No sleep last night, anxiety, I had dry heaves so bad i think i pinched a nerve in my back. I had no idea the battle was going to be quite like this. It's been a real eye opener coming on here and reading posts all morning. Very scary what lies ahead these next few months.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im at about 13 hours sober Derrick. so you arent alone! Im struggling with the lack of sleep and anxiety too... hope it gets better every hour! Good luck
Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.
Originally Posted by Derrick39 View Post
Very scary what lies ahead these next few months.
What about the next few months is scary to you?

I don't know how much chaos your drinking brought into your life, but if they were like mine, a few months sober can't be worse that a few months of continued drinking.

Share your fears.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to SR.

What about the next few months is scary to you?

I don't know how much chaos your drinking brought into your life, but if they were like mine, a few months sober can't be worse that a few months of continued drinking.

Share your fears.

Good luck.

Agree that you should share your fears. Early sobriety was hard but honestly it was much easier than drinking life because every day was regret free. I always compare it to training for a marathon or climbing a mountain (neither of which I have actually done :rotfxko but anyway)... it's HARD yes but every step is an wonderful accomplishment.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Derrick! Welcome to SR!
Is it the whole change in your life that is scary? I agree, it makes me nervous too but think of how your changing your life for the good!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm only about 15 hours sober and I too feel anxious, all we can do is try. My biggest fear is failure and the sadness that will come with getting better.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is very scary...and welcome Derrick.
It can't be anymore scarier than waking up every morning feeling like you could die...not to mention the shame and guilt of drinking and the chaos it causes. Change is good...starting with yourself is the key then worry about others. If you feel that alcohol is becoming an issue then it is time. Change is not easy but easier than spending the rest of your life in an uncontrolable mindset.
I found that once I changed my thoughts about what life was really about, what I really wanted out of life and set a goal -it was easy. Removing alcohol from the equation made problem solving easier to manage.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking has not brought a whole lot of pain into my life. My wife and I get along great, good income, great kids. We usually have a couple of drinks at night, and drink on the weekends. It never causes marriage problems, we only drink at home never out. A couple of months ago i realized what kind of hold it had on me, waking up in the morning feeling the withdraws, cant waiting to get home to have a drink for the calm. My fear is just what an intense battle it is going to be overcoming all of the physical and mental pain that goes along with quitting, but I do know it has to be done.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just remember...it is a progressive disease.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep going....it is scary...that is why I am afraid to quit...but you are doing so much better than I am and I am rooting for you.
And as EmeraldRose said...it is a progressive disease...I never believed it at first...but it is incredibly true that each time you try to quit, it gets harder and harder.

Congrats.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
Just remember...it is a progressive disease.
Well said.

How long have you been drinking Derrick?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Im at about 13 hours sober Derrick. so you arent alone! Im struggling with the lack of sleep and anxiety too... hope it gets better every hour! Good luck
Old 12-19-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It gets better, and it gets better relatively fast. Like you everything was pretty much great but I started to see it affect my business and I knew if I kept going wife/kids/health was over. I figured I had a year left at max before stuff started going really far south. When I stopped the withdrawal was rough.

Those first couple of days are hell. In 4 or 5 days you'll likely be feeling decent, and day 10+ for me was the real turning point. The anxiety passes. For me exercising mildly, drinking plenty of fluids like water and tea helped. Sleep eventually comes back and starts getting normal again. And stuffing myself with food helped even though I wanted to barf it all up. Lots of apples, oranges, berries, spinach, and other green leafy stuff. Handfuls of uncooked old style oatmeal too. Keep an eye on your blood pressure and heart rate. If it gets creepy or anything weird happens see your doctor or go to ER. Or go see the doc right now and get something to help you through this safely. If I had to do it again I would have seen the doctor first. I'm waiting for the 6 month and year mark to see if I get any PAWS stuff but so far every day has been better and better. When you first start out everything seems pretty darn dark.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am on my 43rd day sober today and I know what you're going through. What I did that really helped other than coming to this site was start a progress blog, I documented any change I felt and it helps a lot to look back at what I wrote the first day I decided to get sober. I wrote notes to my future sober self about how close to death I felt, the anxiety, shakes, sweats, all of that. It's really prevented me from going back to that place. I think it's easier to pick up a drink again when you feel "all better," so this is a huge reminder for me that I am an alcoholic and I need to move forward constantly, but it's also important to know where I used to be so I don't repeat that behavior.

Welcome and good luck to you! Being sober is so much more than I had hoped for. I'm so active, I'm waking up with energy and excited for the day. My main goal was to be sober through the holidays so that I could enjoy the time with my awesome family. My next goal is to make it through the new year, one step at a time!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats 29, and good point on the progress/journaling. It took me 3 tries before I succeeded, if indeed I have succeeded but I think I've figured a lot of things out now. The first two times I screwed up on day 10 and 11 as I recall thinking I was 'all better' . I didn't write myself a note. I made a frowny face in permanent marker in the top right corner of my dry erase board on try #3. It is silly but I think it helped.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank good luck to you as well,hope you can fight through everything
Old 12-19-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Derrick. Those first few days are rough. We become so used to our crutch - our 'reward' at the end of the day. It takes awhile to get used to being without it.

It's great you're realizing now what a grip the habit has on you. Many of us wait until all hell breaks loose before we take action. I kept on going with it, trying to control it - until I was drinking every day & my life was chaos. This won't happen to you, Derrick. We're happy to have you here with us.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

you are sooo far ahead of most people who quit drinking.
most of us went through hell and then some....
please be very grateful for your loving wife and family.
you dont realize what a blessing that is.
good luck to you and please know that alcohol will take all that you have now ,and leave you with absolutlety nothing
Old 12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I missed your thread Derrick

you'll find a lot of support here - noone needs to do this alone

how are you doing today?
D
Old 12-21-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Derrick39,

Good on you for deciding to quit alcohol. You are not alone. Keep posting I like the idea of a daily journal.

Hang in there
CaiHong