Notices

Day 2

Old 12-20-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

I am not sure if you could call me an Alcoholic. Some people say you are an alcoholic if you cannot function without a drink. I can, but every night I have had a drink.

It has probably been going for 7 years or so now. I could easily drink 2x 2 litre bottle of cider or 8 cans of beer (sometimes more on the weekends).

Lately, I have been finding myself drink a little less. Not sure why really. But I am always having a drink every night.

Last Friday was my works xmas party. Needless to say most people there had a lot to drink and we all had a good time. I didnt have a hangover the next morning as I am used to drinking a lot. With still a lot in my system I could not face it on Saturday night. Sunday I was just tired so didn't drink. But before friday I would be on the bottle every night without fail. kids in bed at 8, get the drinks out. (on my own i might add, my wife is pregnant atm with our 4th so doesnt drink).

I decided yesterday that I would just stop. I have been thinking about it for some time and kept putting it off and saying to myself, I will do it in January or Febuary. But then I thought, why not just do it now. No point in putting it off.

So I think yesterday is day 1 (even though saturday technically is) but yesterday i made the choice.

Last night was tough. not to have anything. It is more habit now than anything.

Anyway... bring on day 3.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well it's your choice whether you accept your an alcoholic, no one can tell you that you are. But judging by reading your post it sounds like you have made a good choice by deciding maybe it was time to stop. A hint of knowing you may have a problem is what you mentioned of it being hard not to pick up for you done it years, that might be an indication there. As for myself I am 4 months sober now and things are great and im not worried about our hosting of the Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve. My family members drink at our parties but not to get wasted so I am very comfy with family around and I don't look at them in envy as they drink because I know they can drink normally and Ican't. Try to focus on each day and not into the future, for that was my problem while trying to stay sober for 3 years now, I kept thinking that I'd be sobered for the rest of my life and that didn't work. So I focus on today only and live in the moment I don't think how I'll reach 5 months next month just for today I don't pick up. I am in the AA program and I know it's not for everyone, heck I'm 27 and I didn't believe I was an alcoholic at 24 but finally admitted 4 months ago when I couldn't stop myself from picking up. Im so glad Im sober today and thinking normally once again. Good luck with yourself! You can do it, it's hard work but you can do it if you really want to.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, good luck. I am the same. It was more of a habit.... for awhile then it got out of hand. Good that you have decided now before it got out of hand. I was like you for 20 years then something happens and things just spiral out of hand. I am on day 3!!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Xille!

Wise decision! Sometimes we don't even know how central alcohol is in our lives until we try to stop drinking. You're definitely drinking an unhealthy amount and you just might find that you start feeling better without it.

We're all here to support each other and that makes it much easier - glad you're here!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not sure if you could call me an Alcoholic.

Being an alcoholic doesn't necessarily mean how much you drink but what happens to you when you drink. If you think that alcohol is taking over your life and your thoughts and you feel out of control -then chances are its a problem and you should do something about it.
I wouldn't call you an alcoholic, that's up to you to decipher the degree of difficulty it has placed in your life. And only you know when it's time to take a look at how its affected you (& your family). No one can label you or tell you it's time. This is your journey. Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi,

I seem to be like you a habitual drinker who has something every day. For me a bottle of wine, or 2 litres cider or shorts. Been doing this for over 15 years I'm just 48 and have had enough.

Last drink was on the 18th. Day 1 was fine although zero sleep day 2 ok slept a bit better and today is 3 and I am feeling ok. Taking some exercise, walks, drinking lots of water and 200%rda of Vitamin B complex. Avoiding coffee as I have read it inhibits the uptake of Thaiamin vitamin which is what I need.

As at now I am determined to get through this. Good luck

Stuart
Old 12-21-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Xille
I think you've made a great choice

D
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was in the same boat... Fully functional during the work day, with the habit of coming home and having drinks at night..

I realized when my body started 'craving' that drink at 5:30, almost the same craving as being really hungry, that I had a problem with alcohol. Am I an alcoholic? Yes. It has affected my relationship with my wife negatively. While it hasn't affected my job negatively, that is sure to follow if I don't stop now.

Congrats on your second day and welcome to the club!