Notices

Scared I can't do this

Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Don't be surprised if it is tougher now. I had to quit for several months in 2003 after a knee surgery when a clot made them prescribe Coumadin. Then again for a months when the other knee was done in 2007, that was tougher but not by much. I went downhill fast in the three years until I quit in 2010. From no withdrawal to terrible shakes and all kinds of ills to get better. I couldn't do it myself anymore and did in hospital detox/rehab, AA for the first three months only, SR from second week sober to now, and Docs counselors, family and friends, whatever it took. Using SR is a great start for you. Since you don't like AA if you only went once or twice you could try another group or two. I hated my first ever AA meeting that was a combo with NA. I found a group that suited me perfectly. But anyway I hope you have some local support too or go get some. But SR may be enough for you. I certainly wouldn't have done as well without everything I used. Many others have done it with less. The main thing is to do it.
Welcome and keep posting!
I went to many AA meetings in the 3 months I had stopped and really did like some of them. But then it ended up becoming a chore and not something I liked to do. I will keep it open as an option especially if I am having a difficult time. Thanks for the kinds words.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
Welcome justbreathnow. I'm glad to hear you have some sober time so you know it's at least possible. But just do me a favor this time...don't try to drink moderately. In fact, don't drink at all! Peace.
Believe me, I know that is no longer an option! Not drinking at all is what I know to be the only way.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I hit that point last week too... thinking I could trade my alcohol addiction for medication to help me get through it... wow was I wrong.. I took the recommended dose and it landed me in a ton of trouble..

I now know the only thing I can rely on is God and myself. If you trust in those two things, one of them is bound to keep you on track!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi justbreathe! I know just how you feel. I desperately wanted to control my drinking. I couldn't imagine living without it in my life. Not sure why, since it hadn't been anything but misery for a long time. I guess I was always seeking the old euphoria it once gave me.

You were feeling good without it for those 3 months, so you know you can do this. I'm not sure why we always think we need to improve on feeling really good! Makes no sense, but I did it all the time. Well - now you know where trying to moderate will lead - so you can move forward without that thought in the back of your mind, right?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by justbreathenow View Post
I tried to stop drinking last December and was successful for almost 3months. I never felt better, both physically and mentally during that time. But then I decided that maybe I could drink moderately and I thought I was doing ok. Sure enough though, I ended up right where I was when I stopped.
I did this a few times, and sure, I got away with it for a while, but in the end, it was back to the old game. Like you, I felt very good the first time I quit, but subsequent quits didn't have the same immediate grand effect. Better to quit for good and not try to dance with the devil again.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

again, welcome to SR justbreathenow
glad your throat is better too

D