Notices

guilt, guilt, guilt

Old 12-19-2011, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

guilt, guilt, guilt

as from my heading, you can pretty much guess what this post is going to be about.

I have been doing really good lately, never quite able to find that 'pink cloud' that i encountered last year when i lasted 30 days without drinking.

ive managed to have sober periods, and not so sober periods. Lately anyways, after a extended time of drinking, i also had a nice extended time of being sober. I felt great, confident, proud. made it though xmas parties, leaving when i started to think maybe one beer wouldnt be such a bad idea and patting myself on the back the next morning....

then yesterday i got cocky. and caviler about my sobriety. and weak. and i didnt do anything to stop it. i got it in my mind i was going to drink. i mean after all 'i deserved it didnt i?! after being so good?" <----soooo know thats not right...and it was my 'beast' talking.

long story short, i gave in, i drank a bottle of wine last night, and i drank tonight too, but i feel different this time. yeah i feel the usual guilt/self hatred..but i also know, im going to get up tomorrow and start over, and im not going to drink. I dont want to, and i wont.

anyways, for selfish reasons, just really needed to confess that. thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're doing the right thing. You have any plan for recovery?? or you just doing it on your own?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Vanilla, I can totally relate and as much as you wish you didn't drink, I think it's progress that at least your mindset has changed, and you are ready to go for it again rather than keep drinking.
I too, relapsed lately after a few stretches of not drinking and feeling great. I read something the other day that was helpful and it was along these lines: there is a difference between abstinence and recovery. I don't know about you but abstinence is great, but its simply 'not drinking', we need to get past that and move on to a new life in recovery. I'm not sure if I worded that right but I think it basically means we might need to have more of a plan, and "do more" to ensure that we stay sober.
Nothing feels better than being sober, and it is so worth it!