Notices

Relapsed =(

Old 12-17-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sorry you've had a rough time.

I've never known an Alcoholic who has relapsed and said, "wow that was so much fun!" You stopped drinking for a reason. You know that the alcohol changes your behavior and personality into something that causes pain and regret.

Like many of us you tried again and it didn't work. now what? Thats up to you. Read about some alcoholics, see how their drinking started and how it progressed. If you are serious about your relationships and health I think you have some decisions to make and support to seek out.

I hope you are feeling better and aren't drinking tonight.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by flamingredhair View Post
So, question for anyone. WHEN will the cravings start to dissipate?

For the first 20 days or so I was sober I had no cravings whatsoever. I've relapsed twice since and each time the cravings were stronger than ever.

How long am I going to feel obsessed with thoughts of drinking??
I think it's different for everyone - but I definitely remember a corellation between me realising I preferred being sober and wanting to stay that way, and the lessening of cravings

stick with it FRH - they do go

D
Old 12-17-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Posting here is the first step. Focusing on not drinking just today is the next; then get up tomorrow and just deal with not drinking tomorrow.

It is a process. You are on your way; better things are in store for real. Read, read, read the postings throughout this site. Good luck to you.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I hope you got your shoes back!! Great shoes are an important aspect of sobriety. I'm serious.

Best wishes on your path. Lesson learned, about that 1-2-3 little glasses of holiday 'cheer'. They so quickly turn into misery.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
instant

There is a way forward. Alcohol is a toxin that interferes with brain function

I no longer crave it
Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by flamingredhair View Post
So, question for anyone. WHEN will the cravings start to dissipate?

For the first 20 days or so I was sober I had no cravings whatsoever. I've relapsed twice since and each time the cravings were stronger than ever.

How long am I going to feel obsessed with thoughts of drinking??
Flaming,
as Dee said it is different for each. It took you years to become dependent on alcohol. It only takes a few months for those dependent cravings to go away. Us alcoholics are an impatient bunch, we don't like the time it takes to actually solve problems when we can make them go away or do them without thinking under the influence. Then we have to be patient AND deal with the lure of the quick fix.

From a few weeks to a few months is the consensus.

I drank out of boredom. Boredom for me as a drinker was wanting to do something, anything, as long as you don’t have to actually do something to do it.

Drinking always gets harder with time as it takes you down emotionally, publicly, and then physically.

Sobriety always gets easier with time.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Flaming,
as Dee said it is different for each. It took you years to become dependent on alcohol. It only takes a few months for those dependent cravings to go away. Us alcoholics are an impatient bunch, we don't like the time it takes to actually solve problems when we can make them go away or do them without thinking under the influence. Then we have to be patient AND deal with the lure of the quick fix.

From a few weeks to a few months is the consensus.

I drank out of boredom. Boredom for me as a drinker was wanting to do :day6:day6, anything, as long as you don’t have to actually do something to do it.

Drinking always gets harder with time as it takes you down emotionally, publicly, and then physically.

Sobriety always gets easier with time.
Ive worked since I was 16... Drank a little, havent worked in 4 months... Drank A LOT!!
Boredom and me are def not friends!
And I struggle with the not ever again... But I guess its better than the alternitive.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Don't be too embarrassed! It's an old old story. A real learning experience. There's just as much alcohol in a glass of wine as anywhere else. Once you get on a roll then eventually all hell breaks loose. Avoid it completely and that never happens. Simple as that! But not so simple. Don't let anyone or anything push you into drinking.

W.