Notices

any hints to help to sleep

Old 12-16-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any hints to help to sleep

I havent fallen asleep without either pills or booze for years, and I am continuing to struggle with it. Pills of any form are out of the question, I exercise daily, get up early, limit caffeine, all that stuff but I CANNOT sleep. It is during this time I crave a lot. Anyone found something useful or does this just take a whole lot of time?

THANKS
Old 12-16-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Melatonin (a natural sleep aid) has worked well for me but please ask your doctor before making any decision.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
It depends where you live - in most countries melatonin is freely sold as a supplement or OTC but in Australia by prescription-only. You might want to also check out other serotonin precursors like 5-HTP. Since these are (unregulated) dietary supplements (as far as the US FDA goes) you also may discover through research that the actual purity/strength varies from what is advertised. Therefore, paying attention to Consumer Reports etc and reputable brands, in this case, might make sense.

B Vitamins as well as mineral supplements including Calcium and Magnesium might also help as they play a role in serotonin production.

Also, I know the standard advice and policy on this board is to "go see your doctor" for medical issues, but in my case, listening to my physician would have meant dutifully taking prescription benzodiazepine and/or zolpidem - bad advice which I rejected. And, at least where I am stationed (in Asia), it is pretty standard practice and advice within the medical profession.

If you can, consulting a physician at a reputable sleep clinic might be a better option - if your insurance covers it.

Also, consider maintaining a short 'pre-sleep diary' to record details of pre-sleep diet and activities along with actual sleep quality. Some people find that certain products consumed before retiring helps significantly (eg. the proverbial glass of milk). And, some people find that exercise in the evening puts them in a sleepy mood while others complain the stimulation keeps them up - therefore, you need to find out what works for you. Other recent research indicates that viewing television and PC screens (including SR) interferes with getting to sleep.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do always recommend seeing a Dr before starting any supplements - especially if you have existing health concerns or are on medication.

I have made myself very sick in the past by playing Dr. Dee - I think a lot of us have trouble reaching out and taking advice from others....

Of course, if you disagree with or are concerned by your Doctors advice it makes perfect sense to get a second opinion

here are some other (non medical) tips that might be of use

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

D
Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks,
NORTH I agree with you,,,this one doctor I went to while I was detoxing who didnt know me tried to dope me right up filled with drugs,,didn't even realize the implications with my prior drug abuse.

I like the idea of the sleep journal, DEE thanks so much for those tips.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

At (almost) 3 months sober I still have trouble getting through the first stage of sleep, far too many years alcohol got me to sleep\pass-out. I know for sure now the insomnia is easier to deal with than the drinking, but was hoping by now I would be much better with it. My problem is with hypnic jerks that cause me to jump, be disoreinted and fear falling. When I first quit drinking i'd have to sleep on the floor , not so much anymore, but it helps me with the fear if I have a really bad night.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Meditation music helped me a lot. Liquid Mind is a series of CDs that is very good. Use GOOD quality over the ear headphones, the lows frequencies are important. Chuck Wild, the guy who made these recordings, relied on scientific evidence in working out the music.

and...Keep doing what you are doing.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SCOLVA - so weird when i finally do fall asleep i have pretty intense dreams, mind races I guess Ive been drinking for half my life so my mind would quiet itself! thanks for the support guys, Ill take it wherever I can get it
Old 12-17-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're doing everything right blueski and maybe your body just needs a little more time? I find it much easier to fall asleep if I spend about an hour before bedtime in a quiet, dimly-lit area reading. I just lay in bed with one lamp on and read, cat's usually laying on my feet warming them up which is nice, and before I know it, la-la land here I come.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sex is always good..
thats what puts me to sleep oh sorry i mean thats what puts my partner to sleep .lol
Old 12-17-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I read humor books before bed. Gets my mind off the day, have a few laughs etc. Then when I lay down, I'm still chuckling.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

there's a thread on this topic somewhere....
Old 12-17-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's actually a whole forum on this that I keep forgetting to direct people to

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D