Notices

trying to get clean day 1......

Old 12-16-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile trying to get clean day 1......

Scared to death of Detox, is it gonna be painful?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Okay, can't really give advice cause each person is different. All I can say is what is/did happen for me.

Day 1 for me. I was achey, tired, felt like I had the flu coming on.
Day 2 sweats.
Day 3 some more sweats.
Day 4 more sweating.

You should really talk to a dr about it because detoxing is really serious. It can be life threatening.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

It could be...

The severity of your detox depends on a number of factors such as how long you have been physically dependent on alcohol. I've gone through 2 particularly hard withdrawals. The first time I didn't actually realize I was going through alcohol withdrawal until it was over. I thought I had a weird flu bug or something. Symptoms were: Shakes, constant sweating, anxiety and paranoia to the extreme, hallucinations (shadows, bugs, animals) and I was hyper-sensitive to any noise/sounds. I also didn't sleep for 3 days. Worst experience of my life. If I had known better, I would have gone to a doctor and gotten meds. The one positive to the experience is that it now serves as a deterrent for me to drink.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are you detoxing from alcohol?

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr because it can be dangerous.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mine was rough. Should have seen a doc and got something to help but it wasn't in the cards for me. I got advice from a friend who is a doctor though and became very familiar with the blood pressure cuff. Day 1 and 2 was a terror. Hot baths helped for me greatly though I don't know if that is medically sound (ask your doc... he/she can give you advice). 3 - 9 was gradual increase in happy. The worst part for me was the inability to sleep with horrid anxiety, doom, and crazy legs. And where the "F" is that music coming from? Day 10 was the point I fell the first try. Thought I was all good again. People may say different but I keep booze in the house unopened. I think part of it is the "Do I have it available" and "It is available, do I want to crack it open". Works for me. It takes the first part of the anxiety out of the mix. Other's mileage may vary. Now I have rules. No drinky unless in a social situation and never more than one as opposed to what I used to do. If we have visitors they get to imbibe all they want and I am the designated "take them home guy". I pretty much stick to coffee or lemonade now.

Did I mention to see your doc?

When I made my decision to cut this out it was not because the bad stuff was happening yet, but I knew that if I continued it would screw my business, my marriage, my kid's view of me, and everything else. The crap wastes my time and keeps me from accomplishing the stuff I want to do. It is packaged procrastination with a side order of death.

Congrats on taking this step. Keep coming back.

See a doc and stick with it though. At least by day 3 you will be thanking yourself.

Again... Did I mention to see your doc?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. coming off hydrocodone klonipin & Paxil...not gonna be easy, just dnt want to be alone....Thats when I panic.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I check in monday, gonna spend the week-end with hubby & family b4 i go.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi reachingout6606

Like others have said there's too many individual variables for us to make any sort of pronouncements.

Withdrawal of any kind, especially off several drugs, is probably not going to be great fun but you'll be in the right place

Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-16-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

See your doctor to be safe and comfortable during withdrawal. Welcome to the family.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, reachingout!

You said you were "checking in" on Monday.....Are you going to a facility where they have medical detox? Just keep reminding yourself that this is your body/mind healing and the pay-off is going to be great.

Hope you check out our section on substance abuse, too: Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Glad you're here!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good that you are going to a facility to detox off of what you have been taking. I detoxed myself off of oxycontin a couple of years ago and it was pure hell. Hang in there, you can do it.
God bless
Old 12-18-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for the encouraging words
Old 12-18-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Are you quitting cold turkey ??? I have heard that you shouldn't quit Paxil cold turkey - you must taper the dosage down down gradually. I don't know about any other drugs except Paxil. I am guessing others may be similar.

***** Edit ***** I didn't realize you are going to a facility.

Best of luck to you!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

why stop paxil?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lightbulb paxil

im bipolar & i dnt think im on the right meds... all i do is cry throw things, have deep deep depressions ....just sad all the time.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I abuse my painkillers to feel up...
Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

First time at rehab? From what I understand about pills, there is a fair amount of pain but your body simply has to go through. Your doctor should give you medication to help but it may make you feel wonkey and you'll have less severe withdrawl symptoms coming off of it. My best advice for someone going to rehab is take a day or two to really absorb what's going on around you and when you feel comfortable, share as much as you feel comfortable sharing. People who go to rehab and don't share what led to their abusing and continual abuse don't really get anything out of it. You're in a judgement free zone. Tell your doctor EVERYTHING! No one had their problems dealt with by staying silent. Good luck and honor the gift you are about to receive. It may seem expensive but honestly, it's priceless.