Notices

Addicted to drinking/partying

Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addicted to drinking/partying

Hey,

I'm a pretty hardworking, motivated person. I just got done with college, where I probably drank 3-5 days a week. Now, I only do it on the weekends.

I live in NYC and the bars are open til 4am. I end up getting trashed every weekend, staying out til 5, and being completely knocked out of my sleep schedule the rest of the week.

I want to stop doing this but I love going out, partying, meeting new people. Can't really imagine what I'd do all day otherwise.

Any ideas?

Alex
Old 12-15-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi aaa111

Welcome

If you really like going out and being with friends and partying, then there's no reason you couldn't keep doing that sober - unless, of course, you found it impossible not to join in the drinking etc.... then you may have to consider making some changes to your lifestyle.

One thing I know is it's impossible to drink 'a little bit' if you drink like me...I have two switches...off...or really really ridiculously on.

D
Old 12-15-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee74. If you like to go out and party, then there is no reason you can do that sober. If you have a hard time doing that without drinking then you may need to think about lifestyle changes. That's if you want to stay sober.

I like to go out to bars and get really drunk but then I start to drink at home and binge drink. I didn't want to go out and I only wanted to get alcohol and watch movies and play video games and get drunk for a few days. I hated it. Then I started to confront my problems. I'm over 2 weeks sober (I'm had 3 months sober before) and I can do things that does not want me to drink anymore. I went to a few bars and had no problem with just drinking diet coke. Feel good to go home without bad hang over, feeling sick and no trouble with the legal. Also, it's fun watching drunk people making an ass of themselves.

Here are some ideas. Join a gym to keep yourself in-shape and avoid the weight gain you may get with quitting drinking. Learn why you drink so much. Most people don't abuse alcohol just people they like to get drunk. Learning your underlining issues and dealing with them will help with your recovery. If you decide to go out and party then stick with non alcoholic drinks. If people ask then tell them whatever make you feel confortable so that you don't drink at the party. For myself, I tell them that I quit drinking because I just don't like how alcohol make me feel anymore. Most people will respect you for that. Make sure the person is not drunk because they will push you to drink. Most will.

Good luck and welcome to SR!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As someone who was once in your position I will tell you that nightclubs seem like the best thing to do because that's your habit. It takes months of doing other things before you can break that habit but to give some general advice: Get a few hobbies to occupy yourself. Find some other things to do.

I look at people going out now and remember the strain I had to put on myself and my life in order to have "fun" which usually involved remembering none of it. I still do go out sometimes, but I don't drink. If the company is good you wont have to. Drinking normally covers up the fact that the company is indeed bad. And it's not their fault - they're probably in the same boat as you. Their group of friends all revolves around the fact they like to party; than actually having friendship based on a bond of common interests and conversation.

That's what I've found at least!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of things to do and I'm sure that you'll find things that suit you as your recovery continues.