Notices

Day number 5 and I'm dying

Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day number 5 and I'm dying

sober for 5 days now and i feel like pulling every strand of my hair out individually until i look like vin deisel. What doesnt help is my family who im currently living with in SC. My mom is driving me up a goddamn wall and I'm on the verge of breaking down just because i have to spend time with her. I know she loves me and all and means well but DAMN i have never wanted to get messed up more than right now. It's like every little thing we say to each other turns into an argument. its getting to the point where we cant even be near each other without fighting. Even when we say nothing theres just this epic tension that pisses everyone around us off. I dunno if its me and the fact that i am definitly having moodswings or if its that a mother-son relationship at this age is always stressed (i am 21) or if its that shes just a grumpy old lady who is taking out life frustrations on me. Regardless if things keep going on this way i am going to explode. but i lasted 5 days which is pretty good and I even managed to decline a beer that was offered to me yesterday so im proud of that. i just cant handle this confusiion anymore!!!

[EDIT]
Is it possible to escape reality without substances? Cause sometimes i catch myself ignoring my surroundings and thinking way too hard about nothing just because.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Brain. Nice job on 5 days. I'm sorry that things feel stressed with your mom. I have a 22 year old at home (and an 18 year old). I find what works with us is A: being real (no head games or drama), B: being respectful and generally "nice" (we're all adults afterall), and C: personal space. I've always subtly made a point at home that these things were important. Attitudes get left outside.

That said, I know that A and B would probably suffer somewhat in my house if we didn't have C as well. But it all goes both ways, and it begins with communication.. and "picking your battles" .. i.e., knowing when to pursue a subject and also when it would be better and more peaceful to walk away from one. And if there has been an argument, letting go of the "who is going to make the first gesture of kindness" thing is really important too. A little "hello" in the morning or "how was your day" in the evening, or a smile and a little humour, really feel good - no matter who does it first.

(Learning to decide what is "stress-worthy" has really helped me in my own sobriety to avoid unnecessary anxiety.)

Btw, are you in school and/or do you work? My "kids" are, and I think that helps with personal space as well. That, and their own rooms - lol.

It all begins with respectful, calm, adult-to-adult communication.

Anyway, this is just stuff that works for me. Every home/relationship is different. Hope all goes well for you both.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again brainsoup

I think what you're feeling is pretty usual for 5 days...it can be a real emotional rollercoaster.

Just because we're no longer running from reality by drinking or drugging doesn't mean we have to stay in stressful situations and simply grin and bear it.

Is there something you can do to get away for a while - go for a walk, listen to music in your room etc? sometimes it's good to cultivate a little you time and some personal space

what support do you have besides us?

D
Old 12-15-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

5 days is great. If you can hide or just tell her what she wants to hear for a bit until you get some time under your belt.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I got my friends but most of them are users who dont have the problems i do when i use. Ive been trying to get back in touch with my old friends but i feel like im just chasing the past by doing that. And my dog just chewed up my expensive headphones so i feel like imma have a kiniption if thats even a thing. I just got a gym membership and a bicycle so imma try to release some stress like that. Another thing thats getting to me is that my some of my user friends are seeing what im doing and copying me. sometimes they treat me like im some sort of all-knowing leader but i dont have a clue what im doing. Clearly i am all over the place right now. I just want to go back to philly where things make sense but i know the only reason they made sense in philly was because i was so ****** up. Wheres a rock i can crawl under?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WHere is theere a list of meetings in Hilton Head Island, SC. I need to listen to someone whos been through hell and came out the other side right now
Old 12-15-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Area 62 - District 61
District 61
Bluffton, Hilton Head and Okatie
(Southern Beaufort County)

D
Old 12-15-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank god for D. Angel in my computer
Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

nah, just a good Googler Brainsoup
Hope it helps

D
Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Why don't you read some autobiographies about addicts? There are some great ones. 5 days is great, but usually about the day for me where the obsession to use is so intense that without professional support or AA I can't get through it. ;(