Notices

Last night, rock bottom

Old 12-18-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I have no time right now to detail any of the many stories I have about things I did while whacked out on Ambien. I can only say, for now, that I SO very completely relate to what you're saying. There were so many situations I ended up in completely off my face and totally non-coherent - and it was all due to Ambien. Some of the stories are comical, and some truly tragic.

Come to find out it's a lot more common than you might think. A senator drove his car into a crash barrier in DC not long ago, completely oblivious, all thanks to an Ambien experience. I think it was one of the Kennedys. You can google to find out. And Steve Martin was said to have gone online and won thousands of dollars in online poker after taking Ambien. Again, totally oblivious. Here's a link to his recall of that story (link)
Old 12-18-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

binderdonedat,

Thanks for that link - ha! Yep, I had several ambien experiences - talking to others on the phone, not remembering the conversations and eating and not remembering I ate (bummer). That stuff is crazy.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link, I had been reading up and seeing the horror stories.. I wish I would've done more research than 'just reading the label/guide in the package'. But I trusted my doctor's opinion.. next time I'll know better, google first!

My doctor did write me a note to the effect of, "I wrote him a prescription Tuesday, he starting taking them Wednesday, the reaction happened upon the first time taking it, he has been immediately removed from further taking these prescriptions."

So, I guess it is better than saying, "I've been taking it 6 months with no problem, and THEN..."

Literally, it was the first time/night I've ever taken these meds, I've never been on them before... so hopefully the prosecutor has a little slack to give..
Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
... so hopefully the prosecutor has a little slack to give..
I would certainly hope so in this case. You might want to compile a series of documented cases of Ambien blackouts and present them to the judge/prosecutor. Maybe that's your lawyers job, who knows, but sometimes your own due diligence is worth it's weight in gold. I recently read about a woman who woke up after taking her first from a new prescription for Ambien, only to find out she had gone in the garage, grabbed her lime green deck paint and proceeded to paint her front door in the middle of the night - with absolutely no memory of having done it. She had apparently thought it a joke at first, until she saw the paint on her night clothes and bed linen. If I remember the story she actually sued someone over her experience. Not sure if she won or not. Worth looking into I suppose.

People have also been known to get behind the wheel on Ambien and totally not recall any part of driving, nor where they end up. I've even read about one cat over here in Asia who got a script for Ambien/Stilnox and on the third night of use he walked off his 23th floor balcony and died. Also, I'm almost certain there are sympathetic doctors out there who have had experiences with the bad side of Ambien who could back your experience with hard data.

Believe me you will find many stories online, look for some benzo forums and find some threads. They are there. I'm sure there would be plenty of people who have suffered these sorts of events willing to lend you their own horror stories if it might help your cause. I certainly would. I'll tell you one right now. Walked naked through the lobby of a 5 star hotel. And I was working there at the time. Not the best impression to leave on bosses I'd say. Yep, I'll say it again. Butt naked. Went straight from a sound sleep in bed to the lobby, sans clothes, and I have 0 memory of it. Funny thing is the concierge took me back to my room and later told me I'm not the first patron he'd seen to have that experience on "sleeping meds." Another quick story from me ... ordered $1,600.00 worth of room service in Dubai, complete with booze, food, caviar, the whole nine. Ate like a pig, invited friends over, drank heaps of expensive booze, made a complete mess of my suite. 0 memory of the entire time. I remember taking an Ambien to sleep early, so I'd be ready for a video shoot the next day. That's it. At one point I honestly thought someone was playing a joke on me as well. It was that surreal.

Ambien is a messed up drug. Some experience nothing, while folks like you and I have other-worldly experiences. I'll never take another benzo as long as I live.

Good luck with your case.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wow...SoCal...that's an awefully scary story. It sent chills up my spine thinking how many times I drank and don't remember a thing -without taking medication.
I hope you can put the puzzle pieces together and your wife understands that it wasn't an intentional play night for you. You have the people at AA to vouch for you and the friend you called.
And I would definately tell the doctor what happened.
You are so lucky that you weren't hurt. Wishing you peace.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

SCD, I admire your attitude regarding this. You're not overly freaked, not in self-pity, and simply want to do better.

You sound level and purposeful. Good stuff.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
SCD, I admire your attitude regarding this. You're not overly freaked, not in self-pity, and simply want to do better.

You sound level and purposeful. Good stuff.
Thanks langkah... I'm not the type to sit and dwell in self pity.. I realized there was a problem, it stinks I was part of that problem, but the only way to fix a problem is to figure out the cause, then work on a solution.. I'm a logical guy, but also a spiritual guy.. I volunteer at my church every Sunday morning as a greeter.. I think God has a plan for all of us, and while it is hard to see the meaning behind things that happen, they happen for a reason. Hopefully this will be all figured out and I'll be able to take this learning experience to help others avoid the same fate in the future. I'm working on a full write up of my experience and plan to get it in front of anyone that takes either Wellbutrin, Ambien, or the combination of the two. Knowledge is power.. if I can help one person or save one life, then nothing is in vain..

Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

How is the situation at home?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
How is the situation at home?
After the weekend, things actually got much better. I think the initial shock was really what was the problem. I made sure my focus this weekend was on communication, and also spending time with the woman I love.. We went out to dinner on Saturday night and I ordered a coffee with dinner, she ordered a Riesling.. when she tasted the wine, she said, "Wow this is good, want to try?" I knew what she was doing, but at the same time I knew what I wanted for myself.. I told her politely, "No thank you.." and she responded, "Good for you! I'm so proud of you.."

We then went out to a hookah bar, where our friends, and she drank a few drinks, and I sipped on water, and a sugar free red bull, along with having some hookah. It was a total blast, and the first time 'out on the town' that I didn't drink anything.. usually I'll have one or two.. and I definitely felt pressure (sitting at the bar, staring at the liquors/wines), but by the end of the night felt like I had accomplished more than night than I had the entire rest of my life..

We're sleeping in the same room, again... communicating well, and working on a solution to the future. The past I can't change, but today, I can be better, as a husband, as an alcoholic, and as a person who is very fortunate to be alive -- sharing what I can with others.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Wow, hope everything is OK now. Obviously Ambien is not a good idea.

Congrats on the good choices.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good for you! I am glad things are calming down. It certainly makes life easier...