Notices

What to do, better how to approach it....

Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do, better how to approach it....

Ok, this is MY recovery. Mine, all mine. I have chosen to read a book that completely changed my outlook on alcohol-- help me see it for what it is, and use sr daily,. Every post I read helps me more than anything! Anyways, I had reached out to a fellow aa'er last week saying I think I should start meetings again. Went Sunday. Got a text from this person today saying it was nice to see me Sunday. That was nice, however the conversation was me: I'm pumped I am doing so well, I'm not being cocky, but I have chosen a bit of a different recovery plan thanks to sr and this book I read, throwing in a meeting a week. Them: meeting makers make it and we can't do this alone. 1/2 measures availed us nothing. -- thanks, I'm doing well. Am I just imagining pressure there? Or is this person that closed minded that they can't accept different paths for different people? I am not committing to 90 in 90 because with my schedule it's an unreasonable expectation, and I don't want to set myself up for failure. I am ending day 9 with a bottle of water and bag of twirlers. I'm sober, and I only have to prove that to me. Right?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you are the most important person in your life..
we have to make our recovery number one/because if we fail we end up with nothing or no one.
i go to aa and enjoy most meetings and i have many friends there

but i'm there for my own recovery im number one in my life i have to be.
it's not selfish it's life or death survival.........this disease is real it wants to kill me..........it is my worst enemy and it is very powerful. cunning .and very very patient...never underestimate it give it the utmost respect like you would a very dangerous snake..
god bless
Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ontherightpath, you do what you think you need to do.
My path took me to AA, then rehab, then I continued AA once a week in my town. My work schedule changed and I couldn't make meetings and haven't gone since.
The people that know me and what I'm made of don't question my not returning. I know a few people from the group who go every week then dwindle away then come back when they can. Don't feel pressured that you won't make it if you don't go. If you are comfortable in your journey and you feel security in your heart then like I say you do what you think you need to do. If you feel weak -then make it a point to go.

I thought once I moved into a this bigger city I'd seek out AA. I have not as of yet. My heart is strong and although I am always aware of faultering I'm not letting anyone walk my path for me.
Keep the faith.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I go to AA meetings beacaue they have helped me tremendously in my past sober periods, as well as the sobriety I have now. Yes, there are some closed minded people in AA, just as there are in about any group. But there are others in AA that realize that AA doesn't have a monopoly on sobriety. It has saved millions of alcoholics that have truly worked the program. But there are other programs as well that have saved addicts.
. It comes down to what you feel comfortable with. If a different program gives sobriety and a great peaceful life, then stick with it. Lots of AAs have only tried the AA way and it has worked for them so that is all they know. Although they may be annoying to a newcomer, in reality they are just extending their hand out to help you.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read, go to two or 3 AA mtgs per week, talk to several sober friends, etc. I think you have to have a lot of different ways to stay sober. Nothing alone will do it for me. I couldnt do 90 in 90 either and I'm doing well. Best not to compare yourself to anyone when you are recovering and its best to try to avoid pushy narrow-minded people who have an ego the size of TX when it comes to their way. Hang in there and try everything you want to get healthy!!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Well there's really two things to consider here:

1) Your best thinking got you addicted to alcohol, so consider the advice of others carefully.
2) If you don't agree with the advice of others after considering it then don't follow it.

As you said it's your recovery. I think it's far more important to be committed to recovery than a specific program.

90 in 90? Don't bother if you don't want to. I'm busy too, I never did it. That whole concept was founded by rehab centers anyways, and isn't ever mentioned in the big book. I'm not knocking those who do it -- to each his own -- but I didn't feel like I needed to do 90 in 90 and if you don't want to then don't do it.

Best wishes
Old 12-14-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I do understand this person reaching out and helping in their own way. This person is self proclaimed " over the top" sometimes, I just hate pressureby others! I'm going to try to attend 2-3 meetings a week. That's not unreasonable and sr, everyday all day,
Old 12-14-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm curious what book you read to make you change your outlook? I am always trying to find something new to read.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is correct...90 in 90 is not in the Big Book...I think you should go to meetings...1. Because you want to...2...If you feel you need to. The program of recovery is taking the twelve steps...Not meetings...Make that your priority...That's How it Works. I enjoy meetings and am heading off to one now. Someday you might come to enjoy them yourself. Read the book...Get a sponsor and work the steps...That is the best advice I can give if you choose to go the AA path.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by ontherightpath View Post
Am I just imagining pressure there? Or is this person that closed minded that they can't accept different paths for different people?
I don't think it's your imagination at all. I'm not an AAer, and just the other day someone on this very site suggested that if I go away and stop posting here. I've been sober 13 years, but obviously this person thought I had nothing useful to say.

Ok, this is MY recovery. Mine, all mine. I am ending day 9 with a bottle of water and bag of twirlers. I'm sober, and I only have to prove that to me. Right?
Right.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It seems obvious that you should do whatever works for you.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The book I read was the easy way to stop drinking. It really turned my views on alcohol around. I used to look at it as a savior. The golden crutch that helped me thru my lows and carried me thru my highs. I had a love affair with alcohol. Until I read this book and I basically pulled the wool off my eyes. It's a crippling crutch, a back stabbing friend and deceitful part of my past life. It lead me to lowest lows, it pretended to carry me thru the highs and still beat my *** every morning after. I'm happy to not ave it in my life anymore. It's just a poison that is going to kill me, one drop at a time.....
Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Oh, Allen Carr's book. It's on my "To Read" list following a discussion on another thread here. Apparently you're not alone--this book is helping a lot of people.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

...I'm doing well.
You have every right to walk you own recovery path. But you are nine days sober with 4 relaspses under your belt. I don't think you have a right to be affronted because someone doesn't agree with your method.

You want to prove everyone wrong. Stay sober!

Good luck. I like your positive attitude. Hope the Carr book works for you.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

@dog... U are absolutely right, and I can tell you that I have never in my life felt like alcohol is foreign to me, with the exception of the years before I started drinking. And I have that feeling now. I will walk MY road the best that I can. And I am not saying that the advice of the aforementioned person is bad, by any means. Like I said before, slow and steady. For me, no one else.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Hi,
If what you posted it truly the "text" of the discussion, yes I think you are imagining pressure. He shared his belief, at most I think we could call it a suggestion. Perhaps it is his own experience. That is what most recovering addicts share with one another.

People sharing their beliefs or making suggestions, is not pressure. There is a delete option on your phone, you can even block numbers should someone actually try to harass you. Same options are available here.

We like to see others succeed and we do that by sharing what worked for us, or telling tales of what hasn't worked for us. No pressure, just honesty.

I've seen that book mentioned a great deal lately, I'll have to check it out.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks thresh, I just feel like some people aren't open to other ways of recovery and they will not hear of any other ways. I feel very secure, granted its only day 9, but let's not down play 9 days. It's something I am proud of. Nine more days than I had a month ago..... Thanks again!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Your best thinking got you addicted to alcohol, so consider the advice of others carefully.
The thinking of mine that let me buy three liters of vodka a week was not my best, in fact that was clearly some of my worst, or absent, thinking.

Half measures availed us nothing.
I agree with that one wholeheartedly. That's why I decided to quit for good, not just for a day.

Meeting makers make it, we can't do it alone. The program of recovery is taking the twelve steps.
Not always true.

Give it the utmost respect like you would a very dangerous snake.
I like to point at it and laugh right in its face.

Alcohol is a crippling crutch, a back stabbing friend and deceitful part of my past life. Now, alcohol is foreign to me. I will walk MY road the best that I can.
Ontherightpath, I certainly agree with your choice of username. I have a very good feeling that you are going to make it. Full speed ahead!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by ontherightpath
i'm sober, and i only have to prove that to me. Right?
right!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Ontherightpath, nine days is something to be proud of. Use whatever works for you.