Notices

Day 35...high anxiety

Old 12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 35...high anxiety

Hey everybody. I'm on day 35 and am looking for some anxiety tips. Just seem to have things piling on top of each other at the moment. In the last week I've had my 76 year old grandfather (whom has parkinson's disease) fall down the stairs, my mother is getting me extremly agitated, I'm trying to study for my last few finals for this semester, my court date for my dui is coming up and my lawyer is making me uneasy and pissed....!!! Anybody have any good remedies for dealing with stress and high anxiety? I'm feeling like I'm going nuts over here....
Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try taking a walk and/or watching a Mel Brooks movie.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi KS
Good on you for not drinking. I use the forum and AA to help me stay sober and the AA program helps me to focus on what is important in my life.

My son gets me really stressed and agitated but 6 months down the track and it has lessened to such a degree I can't believe it.
Look, it is early days in sobriety, yes it does get better . Any hints to help reduce the stress, I used the serenity prayer, deep breathes, this to shall pass, mango slushies, anything really but not picking up a drink.

I just want to say hang in there you can do it.
CaiHong
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 35 days! Yoga and running are the best anxiety relievers for me. I run first then take the yoga class. Eventually your court date and finals will be over and you can get some peace of mind. Hang in there, you're doing awesome!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks CaiHong, I went to a meeting earlier and it didn't really help as much for some reason. I'm thinking it may have been that we were discussing the 11th step and I'm only on 4. But I just could not relate at all. I know I need to just stay patient and let the program work for me but I want some kind of instant gratification. I still have the same problems I did a month 35 days ago and I am still in a situation that I can not control...
Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quitforme, I think you hit the nail on the head...I haven't been to the gym in quite some time. Gotta get back into that, it helped tremedously
Old 12-13-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think wanting the instant fix is a problem we all face in the beginning Ksquared.

I was so fearful of facing stressful situations because I'd spent 20 years avoiding them by drinking - I'd all but convinced myself I was no good at dealing with problems, but in fact I found I could deal with a lot more than I ever thought I could once I gave myself the chance.

My tips are pretty simple. Keep reaching out for support, do your best with the things you can change, and then let the rest go, as much as you can. Prayers good IMO if you're a praying man

Try and keep a balance - do something for yourself every day if possible even if it's just a walk or a funny movie or a meeting if thats your thing

you can do this Ksquared

D
Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking or no drinking I have dealt with anxiety for quite a long time...
Some of the things that have helped me in the past are definitely exercise...
Writing - I find it's very cathartic, along with doodling...don't laugh! To be honest, I thought it was silly at first until I saw a million blogs/tumblrs out there that are dedicated to illustrators/doodlers and to be honest, some of the doodles people think up of are very uplifting!
Cooking...although I try to not get too close to this or I will replace all my other addictions with a food one if it isn't too late already...
Spending time with animals...it's funny - if you don't already own a pet you know that whenever you're feeling under the weather they are totally there waiting for you.
Meditation, lots of reading, food network :P...
Or even now with the holiday coming up and you might be feeling stressed out...lock yourself in your bedroom with your studies and throw on a movie like White Christmas in the background...you'll be feeling at ease in no time.
Hang in there...
I'm still trying and you're doing wonderfully.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ps. There is an APP in the iTunes store if you have an iPhone - something grateful or whatever...and you can write a list and it saves it for you of all the things you are grateful for...and when I am on the verge of an anxiety attack it helps me to feel better as I read back on them...a warm nice bed with huge pillows and fluffy blankets, big furry cuddly kittens, great movies, large cups of hot teas or lattes, smell-good candles, hot baths that smell like eucalyptus, windows open in the winter...
It will put your mind, body and heart at east when you think of all the things you are grateful for.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"I think wanting the instant fix is a problem we all face in the beginning"

I want that instant fix Dee !!! lol You can't give us that?? Kidding of course!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My biggest stress reliever is watching kids movies. I'll curl up on the couch with some tea and watch Harry Potter, or happy feet. If I'm stressed about boyfriend problems or feeling lonely, I like to watch He's Just Not That Into You or The Holiday. Also, if you have a dog or cat, try giving them some extra attention. That will calm you.

I also like keeping a journal of things that make me happy. I write down little things, like if I got a nice compliment or had a nice time with a friend. It helps to revisit those things in hard times.