Notices

feeling weak...

Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling weak...

Hi everyone. Tomorrow is my birthday and 30 day sobriety. I want to be able to drink so badly on my bday and I know that I dare not. And that bums me out a little. I am motivated to not be back at Day 1 so I feel certain that I will not drink. But man am I struggling a little. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just look at your prior post:

"Great job, Taws, and keep it up. You are going in the right direction - away from alcohol. I am 3 weeks out and can't believe it. I did not think I'd get to a point of doing it but I have. I am going to do everything that I can to keep alcohol out of my life. I love how I feel with it out of my system. I keep reminding myself of that and how alcohol was getting me nowhere but stuck. This forum is inspriational!"

If you love how you feel without alcohol then dont go back
Old 12-13-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

First--Happy Birthday!

Second--congrats on 30 days!

Third--life without alcohol can be beautiful beyond words. It took me longer than 30 days to see it. Hang in there. Put one foot in front of the other. Do the next right thing.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-13-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi single. I'm sure that feels hard right now but you can so do this. You have 30 days under your belt and I'm sure you don't want to live through them again. What else can you do that would make this birthday special? I know for mine this month I'm going to go to a spa and get the full package . This way I won't feel like I gave something up. I'll feel like I just got something different.

And who would want to go out drinking after a full body massage? No one! All relaxed and covered in oil. So after go home and slip into something comfy and watch a great movie. Keep looking at that mani and pedi you got lol.

Oh yeah and what they said about sober being better. It is. But really. Go for the spa it's a great excuse

Now-- feel better?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

singlespeed - It just simply wouldn't be worth it. You've worked so hard. Just know that the first year has many hurdles. Holidays, birthdays, change of seasons, vacations - all things that trigger us to fall back on our old behavior.

I kept insisting on celebrating by getting trashed, even when I had to admit it was no longer fun. Getting numb and stupid isn't a celebration. You will feel so good when you get through your b-day without ruining your winning streak. Be proud of what you're accomplishing.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Singlespeed!

Do something fun to celebrate the day!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi singlespeed,

Wow! Thirty days! Congratulations! And Happy Birthday, too!

You know, I like tigger's idea of finding some way to really pamper yourself on your birthday in a way that won't involve drinking. The spa idea sounds wonderful.
Or, perhaps you can think of one, or several, other ways to do something truly nice for yourself.

Thirty days of sobriety and a Birthday are two reasons to be kind to yourself on this day.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All awesome feedback. Needed those words. Thank you so much. No drinking for me tomorrow. I love the spa idea but I have to work all day. Unless I play hooky. ha ha
Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Guess I could still do a mani/pedi after work. Yes, something nice it is. I did buy myself a Kindle Fire for my bday but can't get it to connect my router. Once that's up and running, I'll be enjoying that toy.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday singlespeed - and congrats on your 30 days

The very best birthdays of my adult life have been these recent sober ones - I hope you found the same

D
Old 12-13-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congrats on 30 days! I hope you have a fun birthday. You're not missing anything by not drinking, except maybe a wicked hangover and a boatload of regret.

Enjoy your day!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A mani pedi and the fire. Thats cool and I'm serious. I'm getting a kindle for Christmas (yes I am) and I can't wait!

It really sounds great make the appointment in the am - have them toss in the leg message and have a wonderful evening girlfriend. You'll be so much happier.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!!!

I can't even being to express to you just how great you will feel on the morning of Thursday December 15th when you wake up so proud of yourself for not drinking.

I think getting through special occasions, without alcohol, are just that....they are extra special and really add to your resolve in staying on the sober path.

Big hug
Old 12-13-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday.
There are so many other things you coud be doing than drinking on your birthday. Haven't you made it thus far -I would hate to see you ruin your record. That is awesome to be sober for 30 days.

Mine is coming us a few days after christmas (sucky birthday, I know!) I got a pre-birthday mani today.
After 11 months the thought hasn't even crossed my mind to drink. I have to work, too...then I'll go hug my Grandson or something worthwhile in my life.

Good Job and Happy B.Day.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Best birthday gift you will give yourself is another day without the poison! .
Old 12-13-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In the past we have been so lubed up that it seems so unatural not to be loaded at whatever the event may be. It is awkward the first few times. Once you get some sobriety under your belt it will get easier and even quite enjoyable. Treat yourself to that spa and enjoy it.

Happy Birthday7
Old 12-14-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
now what?

Awesome progress, singlespeed! Happy birthday, and...we're glad you came to us for strength instead of trying to tough it out yourself. We all know how to answer the alcoholic brain, so long as that alcoholic brain isn't our own.

Hang in there. Get an extra 30 minutes of massage for me!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Single ... Today is my Day 30 also!

I've found every newly encountered special event in my life to be a challenge to not drink. At first it was making through a regular day. Then it was the first weekend. Then it was the first Thanksgiving. Then the first football game. The list goes on.

Laying in bed last night I thought about the coming Day 30 and the changes I've made to my life. I do wonder if I could have a drink every so often. Then I thought about my day. I got home around 4:30 pm. In the past, I would have started drinking right up until my wife got home at 6. Of course, as 6 neared, I would have been watchful for her arrival, so that I could hide my drink. Then we went to my son's band concert and I would have worried if anyone could smell the alcohol on my breath. Upon arriving home, I would have immediately poured myself a drink and kept at it until going to bed.

Nothing big ... just how one of my regular drinking days would have unfolded. I was thankful that I didn't have any of the anxiety or shame associated with hiding my drinking as well as thankful that I was fully present for my son's concert.

You've already given yourself the best birthday present ... 30 days of sobriety. Don't mourn not being able to drink. Instead, celebrate and be proud of what you have accomplished.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Why ruin your birthday by drinking? Like they say (whoever "they" is....): play the tape through to the end!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just spend (on the 11th) my first birthday sober! Let me tell you what I did:

1) I woke up and had a really good conversation with the universe and convinced the universe that while yes on most days my job is to focus on other people and to help out when and where I can... just for this ONE day could it be about me... the universe agreed!
2) My husband took me shopping at the MALL (but wait it gets better)... after searching for a place to park for 20 mins he didn't B*tch... he wasn't surrly... he was sweet as pumpkin pie (be still my heart....)
3) We went into Macy's and I found about 10 dress I wanted to try on... and he sat (patiently I might add)... in a chair and commented on each dress I tried ont... (but wait it gets better)...
4) We grabbed a bite to eat and I entertained him and went to the Apple store to look at computer stuff since he had been so kind...
5) As we were exiting the mall I saw the BEST stripper shoes in the WORLD... and my husband smiled wonderful.. went in the store as I tried on shoe after shoe with 5 in heels.. and when after 20 mins I convinced myself I didn't NEED the shoes I just really WANTED them... he insisted I buy them... and he even loved the shoes..
6) After all that was said and done I had a BANGING new outfit... and ... a wonderful husband who had survived something he hates.
7) Af the night came I had dinner planned with friends and 20 people showed up to celebrate me... who loved me.. and who poured affection and time and energy into me..... oh and they loved my stripper shoes!!!
8) Walking back to the car after dinner I commented that something was different.. first time in stripper shoes that I could actually WALK to the car and not stumble or have to remove the shoes 1/2 through the night because my balance was gone....

So, for me turning 37 without drinking was a wonderful experiance... and I woke up the next day and I returned my Goddess powers back over to the universe and I was grateful for what not drinking had bought to me on my birthday. I was so grateful that I remembered it all.

On a side not a friend of mine had a party that night... and he had invited me to it. traditionally I would have gone to that party because I am just that kind of girl where ever the drinking was.. there I was to. On Monday I asked my friend how his party was... it started at 10:00PM and he was blackout drunk and passed out by 11:30 and nursing a hang-over all weekend.

Yeah now who go the better end of the deal for their birthday? I believe I did!

I like this reply so much... it shows me what I have to be grateful for today! Thanks for the post... I think I am going to make my reply it's own post! LOL

Love,
Saliena