Notices

Feel like crap in the evening

Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Feel like crap in the evening

On day 15. Still having some withdrawals from quiting the pot. On top of that we have had a pretty bad stomach virus going through our family, and I've got a chest cold as well. I'm going to a meeting tonight, so that should help.
I am really having a hard time adjusting to being around my kids sober. I love them to death, but they are very active kids, and I have to get used to being around them sober. I know it will come with time, but when I am in one of these moods, it seems to take a lifetime to get through it.
Thanks for being here.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better soon, and you'll get used to being around your kids sober.

And, hopefully you'll feel like doing some active things with them too.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope you feel better soon jocata

D
Old 12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kudos for you for finding the reasons to want to be sober!!!God Bless you!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One day of feeling bad is better than a lifetime of it. Hang in there. Be proud of your days. . .
Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Suggestion for dealing with the kids sober.

I am guessing that sometimes you used the kids behavior as an excuse to use. They were so this, or they are so that, a real handful. It's easy to develop some brain patterns about things like this, we come up with these mental equations THIS happens=I get to use.

Then, we stop using and um, huh, what are we supposed to do instead?

As far as kids go, try turning it around and seeing them as a reason NOT to use. And look at their behaviors the same way. If they are doing normal kid things, awesome, encourage it by giving them a normal kid life, a trip to the park, make cookies together, watch a movie, play a board or family game.

If there are some real issues, thank goodness you can address them because you are not wasted. Whew!

And start looking for and enjoying all the rewards. Kids are funny, honest and sweet as heck in so many ways. Being able to get on the floor and wrestle with them will get you belly laughing, get a riddle book and see what silly responses they come up with. Indulge yourself in the joys of parenting.

Try to quit wishing away any time or stages of their lives and developement as well as stages of your recovery. Look for things to treasure, smile at, and enjoy. Those things are there, we just got so used to scouting the horizon for enemies that we forgot that there were friends.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there I'm at 6 weeks and it's getting easier with the kids. Still hard when they fight but it does get easier.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I am four weeks sober and my irritation levels are subsiding. It can be a bit hard on the newly naked nervous system!
I have tried to make little plans for the evenings and weekends (another nerve jangling time) so that we have stuff to do together. You might even have some fun!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope today is easier!!! So how old are the kiddos? How many?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks you all for your responses. It is getting a little better each day. I have a 9 and 5 year old girl and a 8 year old boy. The two oldest know about my addictions and when they found out daddy was using again it really shook them up. Especially my son. We are having some issues that are not normal for a boy his age. He is going to see a children's counselor at our church tomorrow. I know he is just trying to process everything right now, but I want him to be able to get his feelings out in a constructive way.
It's time to break that cycle so my kids don't have to use when they get a little older.

I am doing much better today.
Thanks guys.