Notices

Sober vacation??

Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober vacation??

Hi all. New to the forum. I'm going to Mexico over Christmas and wish to be sober for the entire trip. Sobriety has been a challenge, I have periods of success but mostly I give in believing I won't let it get out of control as it does with a busy lives that my wife and I have. Put alcohol in the mix and I'm in trouble. This vacation is our get away from it all and I know in my heart that to make it a dream vacation I need to stay sober. I was going to put off starting fresh with sobriety till the new year because of the trip. After this past weekend of ups and downs with alcohol in the mix I know today is the day to walk the talk. No time like right now because I know all we have is now, today. I'm glad to come across this forum as I beleive I need support in all of this.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sober vacation

Hi Haddenuff , I had my last drink October 30th. I know exactly what you're talking about. I have always put off quitting because a birthday, wedding, dinner party ect. is coming up. I came to the conclusion that if I wait for the perfect time, it is never going to happen. At this time I have been through a few situations that involved alcohol and I can say that the more you go through it the stronger you get. I have a cruise coming up and yesterday I was saying to my husband how this year I'm excited to sign up for all the exercise classes because this time I don't have to worry about being hungover in the morning and missing out on everything. My husband is so proud of me but not more proud of me than I am. It's so empowering to be in control of your life. I wish you all the best! I know it's scary to take the first step but I encourage you to do it , you will not regret it.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. It's good to know that other people are doing things like regular trips and doing normal things with out drinking. The encouragement to just do it is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi haddanuff.

I'm coming up on 5 months sober and my wife and I just returned from a much needed week in Mexico. It was the first vacation I have had in the tropics while in sobriety and it was fantastic. I can honestly say I did not miss drinking one bit and it was one of the best vacations I have ever had. I will certainly remember more of it that any other I have been on.

Waking up early, going for walk on the beach as the sun was rising, exercising, relaxing in the sun, all while feeling well rested and healthy was fantastic. Plus, it was a lot less expensive not drinking by the pool all day.

Throughout the week I made sure to always have a non alcoholic beverage handy. I was traveling with others who knew I had stopped drinking, not having to go through the initial "well, I don't drink anymore" certainly made it easier and it was also not a heavy drinking group. We did a lfair amount of activities off the resort.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are so many firsts when you stop drinking! I stopped in May - not without incident BUT I went on a vacation (no Alcohol), Memorial day (none), 4th of July (none), Halloween (none), THANKSGIVING (NONE!), and now we are going into Christmas and the New Year! So many firsts.

There is this peace inside of me that I can't explain. It's like I know my limits and I know who I am as a public person and never did. I drive, shop, read, clean, swim, walk, talk all casually which was not me while drinking. I'm not this one track mind crazed alcohol obsessed mess of a person. I don't want to rush through everything. I can't explain how much just being calm means to me. I didn't know!!!! I don't think I ever felt it and it's just very recent.

Anyway - done ranting about my calmness! LOL I wish you all the best and am glad you are here.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think a sober vacation sounds great. I don't know about you, but I have spent several days on vacation ashamed of my previous nights behaviour, or having no recollection of it. Wake up feeling like I just want to hide so I don't run into anyone, and since I can't really physically hide %100 I arm myself with more booze.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a trip to Costa Rica coming up that will (hopefully) come about a week and a half into my sobriety. This will be my first sober vacation since I was a child. My plan is to stay active by taking a lot of walks and maybe going to the gym. I also plan on reading a lot.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

My sober vacations have been the best of my life
Welcome to SR Haddenuff

D
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for that Elphaba. That exactly desribes what I want to avoid. I always go with great intentions and almost always not follow through. When I'm heading home after a week of that, those travelling with me are disappointed and don't really talk to me and I always feel I've wasted time and money.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee74. I plan to make this a sober and great vacation with no regrets. I'm glad to part of SR. It's great to have others sharing their sober vacation experiences. It's great encouragement and I definitely don't feel I'm the only one inthis situation. Great support. Thanks!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey MarylandRick. If you don't mind me asking, where did you go in Mexico and did you come across others who were having a sober vacation?