Notices

Feeling shaky today

Old 12-08-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling shaky today

Quit 2 months ago and everyday is a struggle but today is bad for me. I woke up shaking and everything I touch I drop. I set a goal to laugh at least once a day and I have laughed a few times today but I forced myself to...forced myself to do just about everything today...even going to the mall for retail therapy didn't feel right. I don't know anyone else going through this process, save for folks at AA, but they aren't my real life pals. How do you get through a day like this?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go for a run....Works for me every time.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If the shakes stay bad or come and go like that check with your doctor. I've been sober almost 7 months and I still get the tremors every now and then, part could be anxiety, part could be learned behavior and part could be I screwed up my system drowning it in booze (duh?) Take care and hope you're doing better soon. Way to go on the two months.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Music helped me a lot, and so did books.

Laughing is a great idea too. Maybe there are some other changes you can make in your life. Are you exercising? Have you tried to meet new people? The main thing is to not give up.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I suffer from seasonal depression and of course this is the worst season for it. To say that drinking is an imperfect prescription for treating seasonal depression is a pretty big understatement!

This morning I listened to "Summertime" by Billy Holiday followed by the Sublime version. It helped a little.

I'm closing in on 2 months myself--New Year's Eve! I'm planning on celebrating 2012 by not having a hangover!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Lovemesomefoo
If this is a regular occurence, do you have a regular Dr or counsellor that you see?

that may be another option

D
Old 12-08-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Loveme,

It is only 2 months. For a while I would seem to drop everything I attempted to pick up, I thought I had "dropsy". I don't know what that is but it seemed to describe what was happening to me. See a doctor if you are worried about it.

Who are your "real life pals"? How is your program going? Force yourself to laugh, why?

If I were you I would go to a meeting, perhaps try a different one.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 12-08-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We were told in treatment that clumsiness is normal and can last from a few weeks to a few months. Hang in there! Find something you love to do that will distract you.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It could be PAWS. I'm at 6 months and still go through periods of feeling like this. I'll be fine for a while and then it feels like I'm going through it all over again.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sorry it took me a while to reply

I am thankful I got any responses at all. The shakes come and go depending on my mood or sometimes it just how I wake up. I was told it is anxiety and that the kind of drinker I am (binge) wouldn't cause the shakes like I have. The clumsiness, again I was told it is my nerves, but what do I do w all the xanax I don't want to take? I save it for the rainiest day....hoping that never happens. I fear one bad habit being replaced w another there. I chew gum instead. I try to exercise and I try to laugh. My real world pals are the ones who socially drink and hang out at bars....not exactly where I want to be! I tend to drink when the stress is high and for the last few years it has been very high....last ten years it has been rather high altogether. The last 2 months have not been easy and going to a meeting is not an option for me everyday or even late at night when I have all the time in the world to think about things and get myself worked up or upset. Listening to my iPod often helps but sometimes it doesn't, but I give it a try everyday and night anyhow. Meting new people isn't easy when I don't know where to...bars are out of the question, and I don't go to church, and am not a member of any social organization. I have 3 kids and a husband (marriage is the main reason for the stress/drinking), so I am busy w my home life too. This is a great place to vent, and I am thankful for all your responses.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe you can consider those AA people as your "real life" friends. You're one of them.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Those bad days aren't fun...... sometimes I felt totally out of sorts for a day or two with no apparent reason. I do think it's part of the process because I had less and less of them over time.

Sometimes I just allowed myself to rest and take a day off from everything (a good vitamin B complex helps too). Just know that "this too shall pass."