Notices

Issues with Depression/Anxiety

Old 12-08-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Cool Issues with Depression/Anxiety

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to get some views on how long it took for the anxiety to go away after being sober. Also, this depression is killing me. Does the depression even go away or will I literally have to go to the doctor and take pills? I just want to feel normal again. Thanks y'all.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It depends.

Were you depressed before you started drinking? If so, then you might need to talk to your dr if your depression continues. If your depression was a res ult of drinking, then it will likely clear up as time goes by. I still deal with a lot of anxiety, but it's something that you can learn to live with to some extent.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had to look back at your posts, saw you have relapsed, which sets back any progress you might have gained by staying sober. If either caused you to relapse, or if you find your depression and anxiety debilitating, then by all means see a doctor and end this suffering if you can.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I was depressed before I started drinking, in fact, the main reason I started drinking was due to my severe post-pardum depression. I just think it has been manifesting itself more and more. Im tired all the time, I feel like crying for no reason, I just have no passion for anything anymore (except cooking, I love to cook. It calms me down). I wont have the money to go to the doctor until January, when I have insurance. I am just so sick of feeling this way. Im exhausted.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dominica
I too have suffered from depression on and off many times in my life, i know how hard and dark it is. I know the effects of alcohol and the general feeling of leeting yourself down by drinking and harming yourself is a major cause but i also know for me its sometimes also something else, its hard to pinpoint but a very dark cloud hanging over me not letting me at all hang on to any kind of hope for the future or present.

I know that prozac works well for me, not trying to promote this at all as i am not a doctor nor do i know you and your situation. But for me , when being in the depressive state and really out of hope i do get help from prozac, it stabilizes my mood and geberal state. I would describe it as waking up and noticing the birds chirp outside my window, i didn't without them.

I am sorry you can't afford seeing a doctor, is there really no way you could get help before?
Lots of love Anna
Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are there no free or low cost clinics in your area Dom?

D
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How long did you drink for? When you drink and are depressed you are treating the depression with a depressant. It will alter your brain chemistry. When you stop drinking, the depression is likely to come back even stronger for awhile because you have stopped self-medicating. If it does not get better over time you may want to see a doc. And make sure to be honest with him or her about your drinking.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

My depression has not gone away since I quit drinking 8 months ago, but it has gotten a lot more manageable. I am taking meds and seeing a counselor and that's helping a lot too.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had been wondering the same thing, "How long if ever will it take to feel normal again?" Abstinence from alcohol alone didn't seem to be cutting it for me. I haven't been sleeping well do to allergies.

I have been taking piracetam and lecithin. This has made a pretty good impact on my depression. I will start taking kira st johns wort soon too. I am starting to remember things that I haven't remembered in a long time. I remember my dreams a lot more frequently now as well. They are disturbing and painful dreams, but at least I am remembering them. I am thinking of things in new ways, like I considered for the first time in my life that my x wife probably has made new friends now in addition to the ones she had when we were married. All of our old common friends hate me, but the new ones don't have face to face experience of the terrible stories and half truths my x will make up. . My brain seems to be healing through a combination of abstinence from alcohol and the aforementioned.

I used to take celexa and it worked somewhat, but I kept on drinking while I was taking it and it just stopped working. I really notice a positive change since I have been taking piracetam, especially compared to how I felt with just abstinence alone. I was really frustrated by my lack of improvement before I started taking the nootropics. I hope I phrased this appropriately. This has been my true experience.

I hope to start exercising soon, and I will be joining some kind of class or club soon as well. I think that will help with the depression too. I am going to move so that I can get a place where I don't wake up in the middle of the night for 2 hours sneezing from allergies. There are lots of mice in this house, maybe the mice are causing my allergies? I might have to move to a new town as well because I notice that I feel a lot better on clear days. There is a lot of smog here in the city that I live in.

I used to use alcohol to solve all of the aforementioned problems.