Notices

AA Meeting Confidentiality

Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Meeting Confidentiality

Hi Folks, Day 4 for me. Struggled a bit last night, but lucky for me, I have been so out of it at home and work for so long that I have TONS to do to keep me busy.

My question for those more knowledgeable than me is:

I've not been to any AA meetings. There is only one group in my very small community(<1000 people) and the gossip is really bad, despite what I've heard is supposed to happen. We all hear what happens at every meeting.

Not cool.

So, I won't be going there, but I'm considering attending in another town I where I travel weekly. Any thoughts?
Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think going to a meeting outside your town is a great idea. You have to be able to share whats really going on, and obviously you cant do that where you are.
While there get some phone numbers, make connections.
Good luck with that, you are making the right decision.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah....I agree...What's said in those meetings is supposed to stay there...But these are humans that we are dealing with. You could always check some meeting out in your town and listen only....That way you would know whats going on before the rest of the town. Sorry to hear that...
Old 12-08-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I cant believe that people would gossip about someting so serious - recovery is the difference between life and death. It sounds like a school playground, people need to grow up!

I have a CA meeting only 5 minutes away from my home but have decided to travel 30 minutes to another meeting as there is no chance of anyone knowing me.

My biggest fear is someone knowing that I am a recovering addict - you need to do whatever is best for your recovery.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a lot of meetings in the town I live in...This kind of stuff doesn't happen that I've seen...I'm sure there are alkies that discuss things amongst themselves...But I haven't see it on the news or anything....I guess if I lived in a town that small...I'd make the drive....Hell...I'd probably move.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

I don't go to meetings in my hometown due to the same reason. I travel to another town, which is about 30 minutes away. There is nothing wrong with going out of town.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it's pretty common for people new to AA to pick the meetings that are 30 minutes from home to start with. Once they get comfortable with AA they go to the meetings that are the most convenient, maybe only a few blocks away.