Notices

What is intensive outpatient therapy?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is intensive outpatient therapy?

It is being recommended to me by a therapist. I know it is offered days and evenings based on work schedules. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks much.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Darren,

I am in intensive OP right now. I'm in the day program. We meet for six hours a day, five days a week. We have an hour and a half of small group discussion, two hours for presentations and lectures, and an hour for community, with an hour for lunch and the rest of the time is available for one-on-one sessions with couinselors and extra time for when things go over the time limit.

There are two phases. In phase one you are required to share written homework in community. You have to list 45 interferences - ways in which your using affected others, and 15 unmanageables - things you can't do anything about - and 15 insanities, which sort of speak for themselves. After that you share a personal statement and move on to phase two.

During phase two you help phase one patients with their homework and provide feedback during community. Any written homework at this point goes to your counselor and is sometime shared but only in small group.

When you move to phase three, you enroll in continuing care. This group meets once a week.

I've personally gotten a lot out of the treatment. Doing the homework really makes you take a good hard look at yourself. But no one judges you because, well, we're all liars, thieves, etc. We've all done things we aren't proud of. The support from my peers is amazing.

I don't know how this might compare to other programs, but this is my experience and it has been very positive.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Flaming. I really appreciate your taking the time to comment. I am going to have to do an evening program- sure hope it is not 6 hours after work!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I've gone through IOP a couple of times. Once it was 3pm-9pm 4 nights a week with 1 hr every 2 weeks with my counselor. The other time it was 9am-12noon 4 times a week, same deal with seeing the counselor.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you do whatever it takes for you to get and stay sober.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The evening program here isn't 6 hours long. :-) It may, however, be of longer duration to make up the hours.

Be sure to let me know how things go for you, Darren! Good luck!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Mine was for six weeks. The first four weeks were 6 hours a day, 4 days a week. The last two weeks were 3 hours a day, either in the morning or the afternoon.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flamingredhair View Post
The evening program here isn't 6 hours long. :-) It may, however, be of longer duration to make up the hours.

Be sure to let me know how things go for you, Darren! Good luck!
Will do. Thanks again!