Notices

Hello all, new here.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hello all, new here.

Hey there, I posted this in the Women's section, but then realized I should've put it up here. Happy to have found this board.

Been reading through the posts the last hour or so and I am so encouraged already. It's so reassuring to see others (especially fellow women and moms) who have experienced what I have, the wondering, the confusion, the justification, the exhaustion of it all - and that they will know where I'm coming from.

Briefly, (hopefully, lol) I'm a very happily married mom of 3. We've been married for 10 years this month, and he is honestly my best friend. My boys are the loves of my life. They can be taxing at times, especially my son who has Asperger's Syndrome, but they are really good kids, well liked in school, academic achievers.

I can't remember when drinking became an issue for me. Maybe in my mid 20s. My husband and I would experiment making cocktails, and he would have 1 and I would have 2. For all 3 of my pregnancies, I would not drink a sip once I found out I was pg. This wasn't even really a struggle, it was something I knew I had to do, and I did it. However, once the babies were born, I started to look forward to having a drink here and there again. Next thing I knew, it was back to being a habit. Another member (munchkin05) wrote something I read today that I totally related to - how I am now, and how I've been for a couple of years. While cooking dinner, I'll unwind with a big glass of wine, seamlessly handling everything like SuperMom - helping kids happily with homework, doing housework, getting things straightened up while waiting for my husband to get home from work. Once he's home, glass or two of wine with dinner (he always has a glass too). After that, time to fix myself either a large cocktail or pour another glass or two of wine. This stretches over a couple of hours until bedtime. But there's a lot of sneaking. Pouring just a teeny bit more wine into my glass on many occasions so it's not evident that I'm serving myself more. Or getting a refill on, say, a gin and tonic and not getting ice cubes for the second one because I don't want my husband to hear them hitting the glass and know I'm serving myself another one.

I never get black out drunk, I never stumble around or vomit or anything. I don't get violent or angry or swear. But I do sometimes forget what I watched on tv that night. And it's hard for me to go a night without at least one drink (although I do it sometimes) and I think about it a LOT during the day. I can go out to dinner with family and not drink at all - or if I go out with my husband I can do just one drink. It's once I'm home that this other side comes out. And I know that my portions are hefty too - even if I just have one cocktail, it'll be a strong one. And I remember a quote that the character Leo McGarry (a recovering alcoholic) made on The West Wing once - he talked about how when you're an alcoholic, you can't understand it when people don't want another drink, and you don't understand how someone could leave wine in their glass at the dinner table. I must say, those definitely apply to me.

I think I have to do some soul searching and decide whether a plan of moderation drinking would work, or whether I need to just quit. I really do want to be able to drink socially, especially since I ALWAYS keep it under control socially.

Looking forward to getting to know more of you and gain from your experience. Thanks for having me.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try drinking moderately for a month....I doubt if you can do it...If you are a normal drinker...You wouldn't be here for one...And you wouldn't be thinking about refills without ice...I hate to tell you...Normal drinkers don't do that. I would look into abstinence and some plan of recovery. This is just advice from a lifelong alkie.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((jugglingmama))) - welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, Sapling. I know, the whole sneaking component definitely seems to be pointing to me not being a normal drinker. I think I might just try making December my trial month of moderate drinking, and if it doesn't work, January 1st would be the perfect jumping off point for a new resolution of abstinence.

I think my other main hesitation is that as much as I LOVE my husband and we have a fabulous marriage - I don't enjoy intimacy at all without a couple drinks in me. Only then does my self-consciousness go away and I'm able to relax and enjoy.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep us up to date....Not about your sex life...About your drinking....
Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found, as many do, that when I tried very hard to moderate my drinking, it got worse. And, not only that, it was all I could think about - when could I get home to have a drink, did I have enough wine in the house, etc. Stopping drinking was a relief.

If you are an alcoholic, you will not be able to moderate your drinking. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. I don't know whether or not you are an alcoholic, but some things jump out at me. Hiding the drinking and sneaking and lying - I did that. Using alcohol to deal with intimacy because I was out of touch with my feelings - I did that, too. Oh, and feeling mind-boggled about half empty wine glasses left on the table - I did that, too.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, glad to have you here. Lots of folks here to give sound advice from their experiences. Looking forward to reading your future posts.

RV
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good thoughts, Anna, thanks.

And Sapling, I hope I didn't offend you by bringing up the intimacy issue, it's just genuinely a concern of mine. I didn't go into any lascivious detail, and never would. Just wanted to see if anyone else had dealt with that issue.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Total abstinence can be daunting. But now that I’ve attained it, it is much more freeing than the prison of moderation. Yes, prison. The prison of counting your drinks, of rationalizing away your overages, of stretching the definition of moderate drinking to fit ones use.

However, you sound determined to give it a try. By the way, you understand that moderate drinking for women is considered one drink per day.

Good luck with that. I’d be interested in hearing how it goes for you. As I posted to someone earlier, you will learn more about your problem with alcohol through your struggle to quit than you will learn from your drinking of it.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very wise words, DoggoneCarl. Thanks for that input, good food for thought. This next month will be very interesting for sure. Definitely a lot to learn no matter what happens.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jugglingmama View Post
Good thoughts, Anna, thanks.

And Sapling, I hope I didn't offend you by bringing up the intimacy issue, it's just genuinely a concern of mine. I didn't go into any lascivious detail, and never would. Just wanted to see if anyone else had dealt with that issue.
Nothing offends me...I was just trying to brighten your day...I'm just really happy you are at least looking into this....I'd hate to see you have to go as far as I did to figure it out. Be good to yourself today!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Much appreciated, Sapling. Thanks for the support.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think I have to do some soul searching and decide whether a plan of moderation drinking would work, or whether I need to just quit. I really do want to be able to drink socially, especially since I ALWAYS keep it under control socially.
I did that thinking for about 6 months and I can't get by the fact that I hid when I'd get that extra glass of wine or the fact that I would grab a bit of pineapple rum before putting the girls to bed. And no matter how many times I try to convince myself I won't go back to drinking every night - I know I will. So I'm committed to not drinking - for me and for my family.

I hope you can drink in moderation - that would be great - wish I could.

Have you tried that? Just drinking at social times and not every night?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh.My.Goodness. - I could have written your *exact* same post -- a few years ago. Our stories are so incredibly similar - except I have girls .

My drinking pattern was so similar to yours until it got worse. I was doing exactly what you're doing right now and then it got worse for me..... Started doing shots in between the wine and beer to speed up the buzz. Eventually I started blacking out at night after the kids were in bed.... Felt horrible every morning...the shame, the physical ailments, the regret.... it was getting really bad. The saying - one was too many and a 1000 wasn't enough....

I tried moderating over and over and over - never worked. And, it was exhausting. So much time spent/wasted everyday.... Then one night I looked into one of my girls' eyes and it finally hit me - I HAD to quit!!!! <<I'm starting to cry sitting at my computer because it was overwhelming - still fresh to me.>>

That was it. That was my moment. I no longer drink.

It has been almost 10 weeks and WOW the changes in my life. Believe me, I could go on and on (but I won't right now ). I drank for about 26 years; consistently and heavy - then heavier - except when pregnant. After trying to moderate my drinking for years and failing and trying to quit and failing .... I *finally* committed in my heart and my head. It is possible; even with a spouse that continues to drinks.

I had a thought for you - maybe instead of trying to drink moderately for the month of December ... STOP drinking for the month. Just decide to quit for the rest of the month and see how you do.

Please keep posting and letting us know how you're doing. SR is the most amazing place!!!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Give it ALL up for 90 days. After 90 days, if you feel "irritable, restless, and discontent" there's a reason.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jugglingmama
welcome - some great advice here.

I dunno about you but I spent a lot of my drinking career rationalising I wasn't an alcoholic because I never drank too much when I met with family.

I took that as proof I could control my drinking.

I kinda conveniently forgot about the 100s, if not thousands, of other times when I plainly could not control my drinking, or when I came back from my folks house and drank on, either that night or the next day or whatever.

and of course, eventually, I completely lost the ability to rein it in at all, even with my family...

Even with all the drama it bought me, I fought like a wildcat to retain my right to drink. I didn't want to lose it, I just wanted to control it.

But like others have said, as it happens giving up thoughts of controlling my drinking changed my life, and quitting entirely was the best thing that ever happened to me

I hope you find you're not a drinker like me JM - but I could never moderate - not consistently or with any real measure of control - and if you find you can't either, you'll find a lot of support and help here

D
Old 12-07-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So glad you're here, juggling - your post could have been mine, too! I knew I had a problem, but drinking was the highlight of my day and I didn't want to give it up either. Finally, I just bit the bullet, thinking "why wait until it gets worse or something awful happens?"

One of the best things for me when I got sober was when I noticed the urges started fading and I wasn't thinking about it all the time. It's nice to be free....
Old 12-07-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was a sneaky drinker as well. I started drinking approx a 12 pack on Saturdays to an 18 pack on Saturday and another 18 on Sunday. Then I graduated to a 30 pack. Always hid most of the beer cans so as to not get a lecture from anyone. I attend AA once/twice a week and am about to start outpatient therapy. I could go one month without alcohol, but I couldnt put the drink down after I started. Would go on 3-4 day binges when wife was out of town. Always got up and went to work, but didnt feel very good.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I tried too many times to moderate my drinking but never could. It just made me frustrated and I often drank more and just said 'f it'. It certainly was freeing to be rid of it altogether. Now I rarely think of it and the few urges I get are faint and easily dismissed. My brain no longer wants to be in that state and I'm used to being healthy now.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think for me "moderation" would be the ability to have that one drink on occasion. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out if I'm an alcoholic or not too. I'm probably considered a moderate drinker by most - I would have a couple of drinks most nights but rarely more than that (though I would really tie a pretty good one on a couple of times a year). My concern for my drinking patterns are similar to what you said in your post, juggling. I would spend a lot of time thinking about drinking - what would I drink that night, should I even drink something that night (I wrestled with this constantly in my mind and usually ended up drinking), what would I drink (hmmm...would it be wine/beer/or something else), I also could not understand leaving wine in a glass at dinner...in fact when I would go out to dinner I would usually chug that first drink so fast, I'd feel pretty self conscious of it. I quit drinking almost one month ago and I find it very freeing to not be thinking about drinking as much as I was. I made bargains with myself, too about trying to drink just on weekends, drinking only socially (and not alone), but that didn't work very well either. So, my point is that people who drink "normally" don't spend a lot of time thinking about drinking. They could just take it or leave it (and leave it more than they take it). I'm not so sure if the amount is really the issue but more the relationship that one has with the alcohol. I really felt at times like I was a prisoner to it and couldn't just not drink. I had dinner with a friend tonight that was drinking and man was I tempted as I've been craving these last couple of days. But my fear is once I finish that first drink, I'm back to nightly drinking in the blink of an eye and I don't want to start this process over. I wish I felt confident that you could do the moderation thing. I agree with a couple of the folks that have posted here - quit for one month and quitting will tell you more about your drinking than continuing to drink will. It is teaching me a lot. It's hard (and some days not so hard) but man am I glad I'm doing it. I just have to keep doing it one day at a time.

Sorry this was a novel.