Notices

Glad I found this site!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Glad I found this site!

I've been wanting to quit drinking for a while. I'm 53, started drinking when I was a teenager, only progress through a failed first marriage. I managed to go sober for 4 years, age 32-36. Met my current wife who liked to drink wine. Wasn't long after that that I resumed drinking. Now it's only gotten worse for me as it's affecting my health (tingling extremities), extra weight and relationships with others. I managed to hide the amount I drink which I'm not proud of.

So last night was my first night sober and I poured out the rest of the Jack Daniels I had hidden this morning. It was nice staying up to 10 pm and not passing out earlier in the evening. It was nice to wake up this morning and not feeling run down. I read on one of the treads here that "alcohol is poison" I need to hold on to positives that come from not drinking. I did it before and I can do it again.

All the treads I've read here makes me realize that nothing good come from drinking and I'm actually looking forward to going home tonight and be able to read or watch TV with a clear head. I know each day will be a challenge, especially with the holidays coming up. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for doing the right thing....
Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats a lot of use are glad we found this site! Keep on making good decisions!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rockin914 View Post
I've been wanting to quit drinking for a while. I'm 53, started drinking when I was a teenager, only progress through a failed first marriage. I managed to go sober for 4 years, age 32-36. Met my current wife who liked to drink wine. Wasn't long after that that I resumed drinking. Now it's only gotten worse for me as it's affecting my health (tingling extremities), extra weight and relationships with others. I managed to hide the amount I drink which I'm not proud of.

So last night was my first night sober and I poured out the rest of the Jack Daniels I had hidden this morning. It was nice staying up to 10 pm and not passing out earlier in the evening. It was nice to wake up this morning and not feeling run down. I read on one of the treads here that "alcohol is poison" I need to hold on to positives that come from not drinking. I did it before and I can do it again.

All the treads I've read here makes me realize that nothing good come from drinking and I'm actually looking forward to going home tonight and be able to read or watch TV with a clear head. I know each day will be a challenge, especially with the holidays coming up. Thanks for listening.
Welcome to the site Rockin and thank you for posting. You're among friends here

I'm not pushing any program but have you thought about AA? It's tough to do this on your own. If nothing else, you can call their local hotline and there are folks usually assigned from groups to meet people such as yourself just to chat over a cup of coffee. If you like what they have to say, great, if not, then at least you heard what they had to say.

There are folks who use other methods listed here on the boards and there are those who just use this site for support.

Keep posting and try out the chat rooms. Just remember that you are not alone.

Glad to have you here,

RV
Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome, Rockin'! You've come to the right place. I wish the best for you in your daily journey!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Rockin914..This is an excellent place to start.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you. New here myself. Congrats on starting your journey!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Rockin))) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are right on the money with "nothing good comes from drinking." Alcohol really is poison! Well, for people like you and I anyways. It slowly, but surely will kill us overtime. As creepy as this may seem, its pretty much suicide really.

Just remember for whatever reason you drank, there are lots of alternatives to receive the same euphoria alcohol gave you. For me, its laughter I didn't do much laughing in my first month of getting sober, but over time I started to remember how to be me!

I had forgot how awesome the real me was! Do you remember the real you? You will soon enough!

Stay strong! It only gets better!

-Ryan
Old 12-07-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Rockin914

D
Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. I posted several times that one thing that has helped me avoid drinking is the fact that it really is toxic. You take the alcohol out of any drink and you are left with a horrible tasting liquid that is highly flammable. Not something that is good for the body. All the things that go in drinks are generally trying to mask that horrible taste.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job on pouring out the alcohol.
You can do this; "One Day at a Time."
Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragements & well wishes. Last night wasn't too bad, any thoughts of drinking were just passing thoughts. I changed my routine for when I get home. I enjoyed watching "Inside the NFL" last night which I can't normally stay up for or remember because I was usually passed out by 9 pm. Waking up this morning was better than previous mornings. My hurdle is when I leave the office and for the first hour that I'm home. I need change in my life and it's going to start with me wanting it. Thanks for listening, again Have a good day!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.:ghug3
Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats, Rockin, you're right about it being a struggle but it does get easier as time goes by and you came to the right place for support and encouragement. It definitely is an amazing feeling to wake up in the morning without a headache and without the grogginess and with more energy. I too was a "hider" of bottles, and very much ashamed of it, but I'm on day 39 now and am feeling amazing

Why don't you try joining one of the "classes". I'm sure there's a December 2011 class. You can check in on a daily basis and you will get sooooo much support.

Congrats, again!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome, and I'm glad you're here! All of us have different circumstances, but my experience has been that almost every aspect of my life has gotten immeasurably better since I stopped drinking. My relationships with my fiancee, family and friends are greatly improved, my professional life has never been better, I'm responsible for my life and my actions, people feel like they can trust and count on me...And it's getting better every day.

Again, thanks for being here, and I hope you hang around for a while.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'll be the same age next week and its nice
to see another birthday sober. To be able
to see things clearly, bright and cheerful.

50+ yrs old is still quite young IMO.

Im sober today not just because im not
drinking alcohol, cause anyone can be
sober without drinking, but to be truely
happy and content in my life I had to become
honest in all my affairs and share my own
ESH with others still suffering with addiction.

In living sober a many one days at a time added
up over the yrs. has allowed me to reach 21yrs.
sobriety.

I didnt achieve this by myself alone, but with
a program of recovery in place to build and live
my life upon and passing the knowledge of how
I did it to others.

Within all of that comes gratefulness and graditude
each day of my sober life.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi rockin914...Absolutely...That 1st hour when I leave work is the struggle. I found last night I occupied myself for a few hours and then by 8:30 the cravings left.. When I got into bed at 10:30 last night I was so glad to make it through another day and know I would wake up this morning with a clear head.

Today is another challenge, but I'm taking it one day at a time.

Keep at it!

Jim
Old 12-09-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So as I enter day 4 I say to myself, "How can alcohol no longer be part of my life when it was for so long?" But I know just one drink and I'll be right back in that dark space again. Reading all of these threads I can totally relate to. How my thoughts were consumed from morning to night about drinking.
My stomach no longer feels like it's on fire and today I can look at people here in the office, where as last week I couldn't make eye contact. I stayed up late last night and woke up this morning with a new feeling of not feeling down and tired.
I keep telling myself that everyday gets better and hold on to the positives. The weekend is here and it will be another test for me. Thanks for your support SR people..