Notices

First Day Here

Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day Here

Hi all. Not sure if this is where I introduce myself. I had my last drink on December 4th at 9 pm. So guess I am now on Day 2. Up until this point, I have had no less than 6 drinks EVERY day since my son was born 16 months ago (I didn't have a drop during the pregnancy.)

My life had turned to crap. I hope to maintain sobriety, and have been very encouraged and thankful reading all of your posts. Thanks for your candor, and I hope to be a supportive force on this forum as I work towards getting my life back together.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Change...glad you're here!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. You will find lots of support here.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We all started with day 1- you can do it!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.:ghug3
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

I live in the area! You can stay stopped!
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Change-

Glad to see you here. You mention that you are hoping for sobriety. I'm only 18 days into this sobriety thing, but humbly suggest that hope is a good thing. However, most of us need a plan and need to work that plan to remain sober.

You will find lots of supportive people here, so continue to make us part of that plan.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome....Willingness...It's a wonderful start.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Change...

I think you have made a great decision by taking up a sober life. I was a daily drinker for years and now I'm enjoying a sober life and loving it. It's hard work sometimes, but the pay off is simply wonderful. And it does get easier as time goes by.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by soberwingz; 12-06-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-06-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Still figuring out the mechanics of using this site, and hope I am posting correctly.

I anticpated pretty bad withdrawal after a huge weekend binge (so embarassed to even write it down, but it was 13 drinks daily on Saturday and Sunday.)

Today, I really feel wonderful. Clear headed, was able to work out this morning, finally slept the night through without waking up panicked. I appreciate the comment that I need a plan. Right now, I am just holding on to what a difference it feels to be a work, and able to do work with mental clarity and optimism. My chest hurts just a bit, but I think it might be nerves. BP is 110/60 and no palpitations.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Change. Sounds like you're doing well. Stick with it.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, I can't offer much in the way of advice, I'm starting on the same journey myself.

However I can say good luck and you are not alone. Hopefully this time next year we will be posting "one year sober".

Good luck
Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great that you found us, Change (you too, FirstDay). I came limping in here 4 yrs. ago and was overwhelmed with the encouragement and love I received. I had no one else to turn to - no one in my life got what I was going through.

You're never alone in this - you have us. Congratulations for seeing the light and wanting a new life.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Change, I too am on Day 2, was sober for 4 days before the weekend, then got drunk the entire weekend, by myself, didn't leave my house. So I am starting out with you. I have been reading the "Big Book", have been to about 3 AA meetings, but they make me uncomfortable. I am not a touchy feeling type person and I have one man that likes to touch me and squeeze my knee, and keeps saying "keep coming back", so I haven't gone back. I live in a small town so don't have much choice on where I go for the meetings, only one choice. I want to be sober for at least one more week, before I go back to the AA meetings so I will have the strength to tell him to quit touching me. My favorite saying now is "thy will be done", (probably say it about 50 times a day)especially when I get upset about something, basically I have decided it is Gods will and I am listening to God now, and not just asking God for help. The higher power thing is really helping me. Good luck
Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on making it here and your first days sober! I can relate to where you are now. I have a 9 mo daughter and found it pretty easy not drinking at all during the pregnancy. Right after she was born I was drinking even more than before I had her. I found myself home alone with her a lot and was trying to drink my stress/anxiety of my new responsibilities away. It was easy for me not to drink during the pregnancy because of the direct risk involved of harming my baby. Then, I realized that even though I wasnt harming my baby physically by continuing to drink after she was born, I more than certainly was harming her emotionally by drinking. She didn't have the mom that she deserved for all those months, but I am 23 days sober today and overjoyed that I am able to give 110% to being her mom. Good for you on making the decision to become sober, you and your son deserve it.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Again - welcome to SR Change4good
Good to have you with us

D
Old 12-06-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yup you are in the right place! WELCOME! Hope to hear more from ya!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi, Welcome to SR. I can also relate to getting out of control with drinking after having a baby. It started slowly, but eventually I was drinking on average 1/2 to a whole bottle of wine 5-6 days per week. I feel awful because I justified it when her dad was home, because if there was an emergency, he could take care of her. My wake up call came this weekend when I was nursing a hangover with some spiked coffee, then another, and another. The worst part is that my husband wasn't here. When he got home, I was passed out on the floor with my daughter sitting on me telling me to wake up. I have NEVER done anything remotely like that, and it scared the heck out of me. I'm only on day 3. I've tried several times to quit and never made it past day 5....this time WILL be different!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

I too am new here. Haven't had a drink for two days, but I don't drink everyday anyway. I usually drink about every 3 to 5 days and then get wasted. I have made this decision to quit a number of times but keep going back to trying to drink in moderation......afraid it doesn't work for me! Hard knowing what to do, but first step is NO ALCOHOL.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Change4good (and you, too, dragon!)

Congratulations on deciding to get sober. If we can do it, you can too! Keep reading and posting - we're all about helping each other.....