Notices

Update 21 days

Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update 21 days

I'll keep it brief. I made it to three weeks then i caved, not by accident, i chose to consume alcohol. The three weeks was great (previous best 5 months) & i don't plan to touch a drop for another two weeks, until my mates bucks night. This is just not the best time of year for me to quit. I know in my heart I'm almost ready, but it will have to be in the new year. Excuses? Perhaps... but it's just how it is. I'll do my best to behave.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well keep listening to your heart sounds like it is leading you in a better direction than your mind right now. Best wishes that you find the strength to quit.

p.s. hope I don't sound harsh but there is never "the best time to quit" but I think you already know that.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's never a good time to quit HA.

I'm really sorry you've decided to put it off - that, to me, means you're putting your own welfare and well being second....And that suggests you're not in the driving seat here - your addiction is.

I did that for years. I'd quit next week, or after the holidays or for lent....before I knew it another year was gone.

I regret all those years I let slip by, now.
It's so not the way to go.

D
Old 12-04-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I appreciate both your advice, certainly something to think about. I might just have to bite the bullet.

Just reading the above has made me think twice, and how stupid i must look & sound, must be kidding myself.

really really appreciate it
Old 12-04-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not stupid - just addicted. I quit Nov 2 - how silly was that right before the Holidays! But now I'm happy about the date because next year at this time I'll be able to say to myself "If I can make it through the holidays with less than 60 days under my belt I can make it this year.

Maybe you can do it now? Stop - or maybe you can plan not to drink and if you happen to re-commit after the holidays. But I'm a bit with Dee. I told myself a bunch of times I'd stop (next vacation, next summer, next fall and just about every Jan 1 for the past few years.

Hang in there
Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

About a month or more ago i booked myself a week at a youth hostel in a party/beach district interstate, so i don't have to stay with my relatives over Christmas. I haven't stayed in this particular place before & have wanted to do such for years, so i can party a little i guess. This is one of the many reasons I'm skeptical of getting through the Christmas period. By no means do i plan to write myself off, but I'm aware this is going to be incredible hard to abstain. So although i may be creating excuses and such i have to be a realist & realize there is surely a more practical time. Like when I'm not in an environment conducive to partying.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You could always cancel the booking and go camping or something HA.
There's a way to manage anything - if you really want to.

D
Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're struggling but I'm with ((Dee)) on this one. Though alcohol wasn't my DOC, I definitely abused it in the earlier days, then something else, then crack. I had all kinds of reasons to put off quitting, until I was in my 40's, had lost a career and was bankrupt in every way.

I don't mean to sound doom and gloom, but temptations are always going to be around us. My DOC was crack, a friend I worked with ended up going out on it...he was going to bring some to work for me? Luckily, I had enough recovery that I distanced myself from him, he got clean and we are still friends.

I just don't want you to end up like me...decades have passed and there was always a reason to not quit, until the consequences just got too much. My 50th b'day came, whether I liked it or not, but at least I had 4-1/2 years in recovery for this major milestone.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It doesn't really sound like you want to quit drinking. And that's okay if you want to keep drinking for a while. Just make sure that if you do decide to quit that you stick to your decision. There is a verse in the Bible that goes something like "Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves." I am not religious, but I think this is really great advice. Don't feel guilty for drinking if you think it's okay for you to drink... sounds like common sense right?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's not great progress, however I've made a small change in relation to my friends imminent bucks day/night bender. I'm not turning up during the day. That's when most of the irrational drinking will be done. I'm only going to go to the sports event & to see a show after. I'm also going to drive. These are only small measures, however I know they will help me in my endeavour to abstain totally, or exercise responsibility.

I plan to take this approach on my holiday too. If i fail in my quest for moderation I'll just go back to being teetotal. I've done it before & i quite enjoy the benefits.

Thanks for providing me a place to vent.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, not meaning to throw the spanner in the works here, but I tend to think there may be better times to quit than others. We are approaching that time of year when people get together and consume substances. I think it depends on the person and how many times they have tried. Whether they could cope with another failed attempt. It could send someone into a complete state of despair. Yes there is avoidance and denial, but I'm suggesting that there are indeed better times than others to quit. Is it coincident that people tend to quit in the new year... or is that an old wives tale? Maybe it's because they over indulge around the christmas/new year period. Whatever the reason, moments in time are never the same. Things cluster and come in waves. Perhaps there are times which do present better windows of opportunities than others. It would be hard(er) to give up cigarettes if you had exams or a court case coming up, for example. Having said that, you will have to face the festive season and other less opportune moments in life at some point. Good luck with whatever you choose.