SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Feeling a Little bit Better (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/242700-feeling-little-bit-better.html)

EDHARLEY 12-04-2011 12:48 PM

Feeling a Little bit Better

The first 48 were unbeleviable.. I had so much anxiety couldn't breath etc.. I read a lot of wonderful great posts on this site and it really does work.. Its not over at all but I literally thought that I was going to fall apart for a while.. baby steps.. I walked for three hours today.. Now to tonight. I cannot wait to feel just as little bit as good as I did on day 5..

sissy07 12-04-2011 01:13 PM

Ed,

You know you will feel a lot better in time. What I did one time that I relapsed is I wrote myself a letter begging myself to quit drinking and describing to myself how I felt. I don't know if that would help you, but it is the last time I relapsed, and it has been almost four months.

This battle is not for sissies (even though that is my screenname)! Take care....we are with you.

Sapling 12-04-2011 01:14 PM

What are you considering for recovery Ed...You sound just like I did 5 months ago...I needed some serious change and I sought that out....I mean I've never heard of walking yourself to recovery....Do you have any ideas?

EDHARLEY 12-04-2011 01:22 PM

Thank You

I am not sure.. I know that I cannot do it "my way" I do know that this site works for me.. but i also know that it only works for me if I work it. I intend to spend the next three weeks at home and then start going to AA.. but I have some hang ups like everyone does about that. I felt a lot better when I did my 30 days last time.. I am not sure I guess I need to write an action plan. Any ideas. I have a lot of free time. I was not an AA person honestly.

Dee74 12-04-2011 01:27 PM

why are you waiting 3 weeks Ed? I don't get it?

D

sugarbear1 12-04-2011 01:31 PM

I fought AA for a long time. I guess my alcoholism got to a point where I was desperate enough to stop, found someone to guide me through the 12 steps in 2 days, and not a craving since day 15!

Best wishes on your sober journey!

Sapling 12-04-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by EDHARLEY (Post 3194109)
I am not sure.. I know that I cannot do it "my way" I do know that this site works for me.. but i also know that it only works for me if I work it. I intend to spend the next three weeks at home and then start going to AA.. but I have some hang ups like everyone does about that. I felt a lot better when I did my 30 days last time.. I am not sure I guess I need to write an action plan. Any ideas. I have a lot of free time. I was not an AA person honestly.

Yeah...I had major hangups with it...I also know I was going to die if I kept on doing what I was doing...Take your choice...If I could give you any advice that might save your life...I'd tell you to go to a meeting tonight....You don't have to say anything...Just sit there and listen.

Dana0828 12-04-2011 02:01 PM

Hi Ed! Glad you are feeling better. Did you have any other symptoms other than anxiety?

EDHARLEY 12-04-2011 02:31 PM

Thank You

I am not waiting three weeks, I am just going to go home for the holidays..
I guess everyone made some good points I might have to no do it my way..
As for the anxiety.. I feel like a I have a ton of bricks on my chest, find myself breathing heavy.. rethinking everything and panicking.. I think that the workd is falling in around me.. I used to only get it when I would do hard drugs like coke and X so I stopped those.. then I got it if I went out and made a fool of myself but I have not done that.. now if I drink I get anxiety so bad it crushes me for days..
Thanks everyone for your support.

Sapling 12-04-2011 03:05 PM

Why not go to a meeting tonight...You're not leaving tonight right...Just listen to what they say...People that got out of where you are right now...That's what I did. It' worked...Get out of your head for a bit.

Hevyn 12-04-2011 04:04 PM

Very glad to see you're feeling a bit better, Ed. I hope you'll never, ever put yourself through this again. I know I can't. I like Sissy's idea of writing down how you feel. It fades with time, and we need to remember the hell we put ourselves through.

debsam 12-04-2011 04:58 PM

Glad you're feeling better.

If you're anything like me, (sounds like you are) the anxiety nearly destroyed me. It only gets worse...far worse. I will never feel like that again.

Big hug x

Tigger41 12-04-2011 06:20 PM

Ed great job - I'm sure it will start to get better.

ru12 12-04-2011 06:44 PM

Hi Ed, good job so far. Lots of people recover from drinking without AA. You could try SOS, SMART, Rational Recover . . . there are lots of options. Or you could just stop drinking and get on with your life.

Sapling 12-04-2011 06:56 PM

Whatever works....What worked for you Ru? I'm pretty new to this.