Notices

I'm back

Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back

I posted under a different user name this past Spring and Summer, but left SR after disagreeing with something or other that was said here.

Well, I'm back. I give up. I'm tired of arguing and disagreeing with everything, especially when it is recovery-related. I don't know anything about recovery. I want to be supportive, and to reach out and get support.

I have just over 10 months of sobriety, but I'm not doing much better than I was the day I got sober. I've been passively searching for marijuana the past few weekends, and that's just not good.

So here I am. Thankfully I am still sober. I am happy to start over here and start learning again.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Vigo.

Congrats on the 10 months sobriety. I know I get down at times but why don't you think you are any better than you were 10 months ago? Are you speaking mentally or physically?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Vigo.
This place really helps keep me grounded and real - even after 5 years.

good to see old peeps come back

D
Old 12-04-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back! So what are you doing to stay sober? Sheer willpower is often inadequate.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
Welcome back Vigo.

Congrats on the 10 months sobriety. I know I get down at times but why don't you think you are any better than you were 10 months ago? Are you speaking mentally or physically?
I'm actually in excellent physical condition, and nutritionally good as well. Mentally is a much different story. I need to find better ways of dealing with stress, and I need to find sober people to be around.

I am the classic case of the "white-knuckle" approach to sobriety. Recently I've started calling people when I am struggling. But when people ask "How's it going?" I just say I'm doing great, when really I am struggling quite badly. I'd like to find someone I can be honest with, and I really should be attending NA as well. Hopefully I find the courage to do it this week!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is there anything stopping you from being around sober people, AA,NA?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Glad you came back, Vigo. This is too hard to do alone. I'd urge you to find an AA meeting or SMART meeting or something for some sober human interaction. But, for virtual support, you know you are at the right place.

I like your humble approach that you "don't know anything about recovery". I'm finding the same about me. I started this journey about 9 mos ago, but have about 4 months continuous sobriety. I learn every day, and grow a little every day. Many days are harder than others. I learned somewhere that about 30% of the population doesn't drink, which means there are plenty of sober folks out there...we just need to find 'em, and befriend 'em.

And good for you for fighting the urge to find a substitute in pot. Not a good option.

Welcome back!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I'm going to my first NA meeting this Saturday, and starting Yoga for the first time on Wednesday.

I've always been hesitant to go to AA/NA, as I always bought into the negative propaganda that floats around about it, but it can't hurt to check it out. It sure as hell beats sitting around alone Saturday night. Also, I've heard nothing but good things about Yoga, so I am interested in checking that out as well.