Notices

Days of the Week Help

Old 12-03-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Days of the Week Help

Hi Guys,

So I was thinking. When I was drinking there was always an excuse to drink. Monday Night Football, Wasted Wednesdays, Thirsty Thursdays, Bars on Friday, College Football on Saturday, NFL on Sunday. So I was thinking about putting together a fun list of days to remind me why I love being sober. I would really love your help putting together a good list I can post on my wall or carry in my wallet to help get me through those cravings or societal reasons to drink.

So far I was thinking Sober Sunday and Thankful Thursday. Thoughts and suggestions?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a great idea ddrayer! For me it developed out of what my new habits became. Two nights of the week I go to a Spanish class, so those days I'm doing my homework, or getting ready for the class, or just thinking about it in some way. Fridays are one of my only nights of being home alone with nothing going on, which at first sounded like a recipe for disaster, but since has turned into my movie-watching night. Sundays is football with the hubby and dinner with family and/or friends. I like your idea!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks foodie, I know its a bit childish but anything to help keep me sober right? I wish my gf was near by so I could do fun non drinking related things with her. I am one of those people that desperately needs to redevelop my friends list. Being a university student, many of my friends are all about going out for a night on the town. Unfortunately (unfortunate because many of them are great people) I might need to start spending less time with them to help keep myself sober. Football has always been associated with drinking for me so I'm trying to take some time away from watching (as much as that pains me!)
Old 12-03-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You sound exactly like me, ddrayer. I drank heavily because there was always something on TV that gave me a reason to drink and it was a way to keep entertained and pass the time. For me, it normally started on Thursday when a lot of TV shows I watch are on. Then hit happy hour on Friday after work, pick something up on the way home, and just get wasted all weekend long because football was on TV.

Magnificent Monday?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh not bad Taws. BTW how is day 7 going for you? I am just so happy to be sober it hasn't been a struggle yet. From past experience I know that I will face those struggles but right now everything is great.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 7 is going really well so far, thanks. Slept in 'til 10am for the first time in forever (when you just pass out and start drinking again when you wake up, you tend to wake up at 3am, 7am, noon, 3pm, etc..). Felt great this morning. Went into work for about an hour and I've just been hanging out watching football (drinking coffee, water, and soda) and watching it snow. Have plans to make a pizza and maybe take a nap and watch a movie later. Surprisingly not craving booze at all. It's a little bit weird.

How's your day 7?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its going great. I am in my office watching a bit of football and just kind of casually working. Thinking about taking myself to a movie this evening. Alas there is no snow here in Florida.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ddrayer, I feel your pain... I'm in vet school and it seems like literally everyone here is into hard drugs and binge drinking. It's been a really hard climb for me deciding to get sober, and my "friends" are angry at me for not spending time with them. But you know what? This isn't for them - its for us, and in the long run we will be able to find TRUE friends and lead a much happier life because of it. As for days of the week... how about Self-love Saturday?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh that's a good one newmoon! Yea we have a department happy hour once a week and I am constantly getting flack for not going. I also work part time for a start up company and ALL of our functions have alcohol. Unfortunately I think my sobriety may actually set back my career there but a long happy life is well worth giving up some short term financial success.

Self-love Saturday is great, I think I need to make more of an effort to make some me time, and thats a great place to start.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Teetolar Tuesday?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Pie day Friday, if you like sweets this is the day!

Sit day Saturday, if you’re like me you need a break from the busy work week, sit and rest.

Fun day Sunday, get out and do something sober, it’s the weekend!

Moody Monday, reminding us that life isn’t always cake
Old 12-03-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How about "film Friday" for Foodie1 as you mentioned that this is what you do on a Friday?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SomethingBetter View Post
Fun day Sunday, get out and do something sober, it’s the weekend!
Haha I used to call my Sunday binges "Sunday Funday"...

They were rarely fun!
Old 12-03-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yea me too UofI!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Fearless Friday.......Self Esteem Saturday......Serenity Sunday.....?

Pretty cool that you're designing your own days!
Congrats on your week sober!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Those are amazing artsoul, thank you. I really like serenity sunday. Fearless Friday is good because friday has a lot of fear for me right now as thats usually the beginning to a long weekend of boozing.