Notices

My 6th Day

Old 12-02-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My 6th Day

I'm 6 days into my sobriety and things have been going well so far. I've kept myself occupied by working late most days and running during the evenings. After running I've felt so good that I don't want to ruin the progress I've made by drinking.

In six short days, my anxiety has disappeared, my mind is a lot clearer, I've lost 5 1/2 pounds, my complexion is getting better, my skin is less dry, the sweats have subsided, and the itching that kept me up all night has stopped. How can alcohol compete with how good I feel? After only 6 days!

Today is the first day that I've even given drinking any thought because in the past I've been a weekend binger, so it feels weird not just hitting the store after work for a bottle of gin. I'm about to go on a six mile run and then I think I'll reward myself with a cheeseburger or something tasty for making it 6 days. But definitely no booze.

This first totally sober weekend in about 5 years is going to be interesting, but I'm excited. Thanks for all the support so far. Reading everything you all post really helps me get through the day and I can relate a little bit to just about everybody. Happy Friday!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Taws-

Congrats on your 6 days that is awesome! Don't give into the temptation to drink to "reward" yourself because you made it this far. I was a weekend binger too and I would always feel great at the end of the week then get totally wasted on the weekends. I always forgot by Friday how bad I would feel on Mondays. Stay busy and positive and you will do great.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're doing GREAT Taws! That's awesome that you're running! Good luck to you.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy your weekend!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aww Taws were on the same day! Good luck and keep it up! Keep us posted.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you have plans on how to stay stopped down the road?

6 days is awesome!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Taws-
That's exciting. Love your enthusiasm and positive outlook. Keep posting.
Bimm
Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six days. Yes it does get even better tho it can be a 'bumpy road' for a while. I love waking up feeling good most days. Sure beats how I used to wake up....
Old 12-02-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a great sober weekend Taws - you'll get used to it

D
Old 12-02-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. sugarbear, I plan to continue running and doing everything it takes to keep myself from getting thrown into a position to screw up. I don't care if I have to hurt my drinking buddies feelings in order to get better.

I actually began running last January when I was feeling even worse about myself...since then I've lost 35+ pounds and have been running at least (usually) 4 times a week. However, I couldn't kick the hardcore binges on the weekends and I'd erase everything good I did during the week on the weekends. Pizza, beer, gin, anything bad I could put in my system in large quantities. All weekend. In May I ran a 10K race in 55 minutes, which really had me on an emotional high. Right now I am training to run a half marathon in May and eventually I would like to tackle a full marathon. But that's not going to happen if I settle back into drinking ways.

I can't do it anymore...I've become sick of the routine, feeling like crap, the feeling of going nowhere, and the feeling of letting others (and myself) down. I've been functioning over the past 5-6 years, but nowhere close to my potential.

In short, the fear of failure and failing others is what I plan on keeping me going. I have support from my mom who has overcome her addictions as well as other friends who have done the same. And you guys, of course. There are so many great people here!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Well done on 6 days, Im just starting day 5 myself.

The exercise is definitely helping you on your journey.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Great plan! I was thinking along the lines of a recovery program, though. It took me 25 years to get my 6+ months...
Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Taws!
Congrats! It sounds like you have your motivation and goals all sewn up. Please keep posting as you are an inspiration to others even though you may think you can't be as a beginner. And you already have several that chimed in with the same time sober and being as encouraging as you are. All of you brought a big smile to my face to start the weekend off.
Thank you.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Taws,

I loved reading your post.....congrats on the six days - and keep up the running, it really helps. (former marathoner here) stay strong!

Old 12-02-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FML

I am on day 6 as well

I also like to run, not as far as you though! I usually do 4 if I'm running outdoors,5 every once in a while. Runners high is no joke huh?

There is a thread.. the Class of November, for people who started last month. Maybe you already knew that, I just joined it a couple days ago.

Anyway good job!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks, FML! Awesome job on hitting day 6! Yes, runner's high is no joke. Especially when you're not hungover trying to slug through a run. I usually run anywhere from 3 to 12 miles...I'd worked my way up to 12 and then pretty much blew it by deciding that blacking out was more important on the weekends than doing my long runs. I'm looking forward to actually improving on my times now! Keep running, it definitely helps.

I'll have to check out the thread...thanks! Stay positive.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FML

I just remembered something..hahaha. Oh gosh. A few weeks ago I decided to run 5 miles.. after drinking 3 large glasses of pino grigio. It was all fun and games until about the halfway mark. Lets just say there was no runners high that time.

Definitely get on the thread! I think it's helpful and cool because everyones going through the same thing at the same time
Old 12-02-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job, Taws, and keep it up. You are going in the right direction - away from alcohol. I am 3 weeks out and can't believe it. I did not think I'd get to a point of doing it but I have. I am going to do everything that I can to keep alcohol out of my life. I love how I feel with it out of my system. I keep reminding myself of that and how alcohol was getting me nowhere but stuck. This forum is inspriational!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey! Tomorrows my sixth! I hope it goes as well for me, this is my first weekend sober in 12 years. I too have been working late and running after work. Lets do this weekend!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

TAWS and vesuvius

Great work..keep going and have a great sober weekend!