Notices

New AND Old :-)

Old 12-02-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New AND Old :-)

Hello All.

New to this forum, not new to addiction/recovery. I started my "3rd life" on 10.08.2011

I'm 50 years old. I hit rock bottom around age 30 after a DUI and some jail time and was sober for 10 years. Second time I hit bottom (and I hit it hard!) was on the above date...went cold turkey from script drugs, alcohol AND cigarettes...by myself

Not seeking a detox center may have been a risk, but the condition I was in there was no way I could have been "confined". It's been a tough 7 weeks, but I'm doing ok. I have my family and some friends (along with some long phone calls) to thank for their support.

Just signed-up to have another place/people to talk to...I know from previous experience that I'm just getting started and I'm very aware of how easy it is to relapse.

Signed,

Sober Me
Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Hello Ariesdch, and welcome! This site is awesome, full of wonderful people who have tons of experience and support to share with you. You've been through this once before, so you probably have a good idea of what you need to do this time around. Talking with people is very helpful in recovery, and the people on this site are just fantastic. Again, welcome, and I hope you hang around a while!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello! And welcome. Congratulations on your sobriety. Keep at it, it will only get better.

Nice to have you here.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family from a fellow Buckeye.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Ariesdch!

I so agree that having support is what keeps us on track. I think you'll enjoy coming here. Congratulations on 7 weeks!!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the "welcomes"! LOL

I was a heavy drinker...literally and figuratively. 6' tall, 300 pounds. Drank 2 gallons of 100 proof whiskey PER WEEK with a case of beer for a chaser. Being unemployed, I drank from about 8:00 a.m. till 8:00 p.m. Smoked about a pack a day and was on Zoloft and Clonezepam. Also I have high blood sugar.

This May, I was already at bottom (so I thought). Took 60 of the Clonezepam and a fifth of whiskey and some beers trying to "off" myself. Somehow I ended up at a gas station with 5 cruisers; went to ER on suicide watch. Got out next day. Scary, but that wasn't even rock bottom for me; I had to wait another 5 months for that.

I can go into details of the "hitting the bottom" if any are interested.

P.S. Down to 260 now and will be starting workouts beginning 2012.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Ariesdch View Post
No, your journey "from" the bottom is more interesting. So many struggle and think they need to hit bottom to recovery. Hopefully you can inspire those who are trying to get sober.

Welcome to SR.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you found us.

No, your journey "from" the bottom is more interesting. Well said Carl.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Ariesdch

D
Old 12-02-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Glad you made it through detox OK. Dangerous stuff, that.

That is up to you. Some folks like to share where they have been so that they remember and reinforce why they stopped. I am one of those who likes to remind myself - if for no other reason than to see how much things have progressed. If you choose to share, we are here to listen!

P.S. Down to 260 now and will be starting workouts beginning 2012.
That is a VERY impressive loss. Have you changed eating habits or is this just from the booze?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, details of STAYING sober are more important; thanks for reminding me of that very important fact! LOL

I changed my diet about 4 months ago and yes, from diet and not drinking, I've lost 40 pounds! Lots of sugar and calories in whiskey and beer, not to mention the very nasty fast food/bad food I was eating!

Thanks again for all the "welcomes", it means a lot to me to have others know just how nasty drug, nicotine and alcohol addictions are. Something about "..until you walk a mile in my shoes." ROFL :-)
Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Ariesdch,

Welcome! I am glad you found SR. I love this place!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi, Ariesdch. Welcome to SR—you can already see what a supportive place this is. The folks here have helped me immeasurably. I hope you stick around. You did not manage 10 years of sobriety without learning a few things. And I imagine you learned a lot from your return to drinking, too. Glad you found us.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

There's always a new bottom, unless we are 6' under. I'm your age, just passed 6 months.

You can stay stopped, too!

AA, out of desperation, saved my life. You're in Akron, do you get to meetings?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No, do not go to AA meetings even though I'm close to "The Founder" LOL It's quite a site to see every June!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

hmmmmm.

Lots of support here!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bumping this myself LOL :-)

Getting past the "counting point"; that is..."day 1...week 1...month 1". I know all recovery people do it for a while; it's a landmark that is to be beaten each day.

I'm over a couple of months here and I'm doing very good. I must have really messed my body up because I'm still "healing" inside.

I'm unemployed and just go out for groceries and to get out of apartment so I don't stress out too much... I'm concentrating ALL efforts on no drugs, no cigs, no booze.

Anyhows, there is a Recreational Center about 5 minutes from my house. $32 a month for access to walking track and Natulis equipment so I'm going to go tomorrow and start back exercising. I'm stuck at my 260 lbs and I know I have to get back to exercise. And I only have enough money left (another long story LOL) for about 12 months, so I need to drop the weight and then go job hunting.

Alcohol cost me a $60k a year job and at age 50, I'm probably going to end up working at a McDonalds to start as jobs in my area are tough to find, I AM older and I've been unemployed for over 2 years (I was forced to resign my last job...gee, I wonder what I got caught doing?) Oh well, water under the bridge...must move forward.

Sorry about the rant...just kind of excited about going back to working out (10 years ago, I was buff!!) ROFL