Notices

New AND Old :-)

Old 12-11-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to the group, Ariesdch!

I admire your desire to get in shape. I feel like since I got sober that my mind has been a lot healthier and I suppose I've been physically healthy by comparison to when I was drinking but I'm still not in the best of shape. I get winded going up a flight of stairs.

Anyways, welcome to the board. I'm glad that you're here.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ariesdch. Congratulations on your sobriety. I can relate to your story.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your progress

D
Old 12-11-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your progress

D
Old 12-12-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Went to Rec Center today, got a tour and paid my $32/month for use of track, free weights, weight machines, about 50 exercise bikes, treadmills, ellipticals etc. They have basketball and raquet ball too if I want.

People from 18 to 80 in there, so that's nice. There's also an area with chairs and tables and some vending machines. Nice place for a recovering addict to be in my opinion.

For the first few weeks I'm going to take it easy and just walk. I've done the workout thing before and you have to go really slow or risk injury and then you're out for a long time. Then I'll start on some light weight training to tone up.

I was nervous at first, but once I got there I was ok; I did what I needed to and that was to take the first step...I walked a whole mile....5 laps around track. I was starting to sweat a little and my legs got a little sore so I stopped LOL Need some good walking shoes.

Sober Me (now getting back into shape)
Old 12-12-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Glad you've found us.
How are you doing today?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Just bumping this...still sober...3 months later Woo Hoo!

Back to exercising; just walking a track now...been at it for 4 weeks. Barely could make 3 laps (it's about 1,100 feet track, 5 laps = 1 mile). I did 3 miles the other day but got blisters of both feet! So, I have to let those heal before walking again. Doing some light weight lifting too.

Damn, it's good to be alive! <begins to cry...tears of pure joy> I love you all.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Three months is awesome! And getting into shape. WOW! Look how many positive changes you have made JUST from kicking booze, cigs and meds!!! The best is yet to come for you! Keep it up!!!!!! Love the positive attitude!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome news ariesdch - well done!

D
Old 01-07-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good stuff. I'm 55, going on 15, and got sober at 54. The exercise stuff is really powerful. inspirational. And I finally gave up the cigs, though by a half measure (electronic cigs!).

Great job on three months. I have an entire 15 months under my belt. Keep posting!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. As I've been through this before and relapsed after 10 YEARS, I'm old and wise enough to know this is just the beginning and just how easy it is to slip-up. Considering the first 2 weeks felt like 2 years, I'm wondering where the last 3 months went!

I have to be diligent in everything I do and keep reminding myself what it was like those few days leading up to my quitting.

And Memphis, I'm 50, going on 20 ROFL Good job on 15 months too!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Still here, still sober. Just using this thread...hope that's ok

Still working out at rec center...weight loss is progressing slowly but surely and that's fine, I want to take if off slow.

But now I have a problem...I'm bored out of my mind Been jobless since 10.2009 due to the addictions and only been 4 months sober. Trying to get into shape to start some type of job.

I was at a pretty decent job for 15 years but I don't think I want the stress of that again. Money is not important to me as is my health, happiness and sobriety. So, at age 50, I'm probably looking at minimum wage jobs.

Just wondering what some others here have done regarding jobs, getting back into the workplace, etc. Thanks in advance for responding.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

When my health precluded me working regularly, I started my own business - would that be an option for you at all? even something as basic as mowing lawns might be a start...

D
Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, but I'm going to need something more steady. I had to cash-in an annuity when I got divorced and I cashed in my stocks last year. I have enough money to survive in this apartment till the end of this year.

I've worked-out a budget and with min wage at $7.20/hour, I think I can make all my current bills on a monthly basis. And the sooner I start working, the longer the remaining funds I have will last.

Before college, I did work in restaurants as a cook. Not 100% sure I want to do that again; it's pretty stressful too. Also have to avoid restaurants serving alcohol obviously.

I was thinking retail, but I'm not THAT good with people and I would probably be bored. I guess I'm leaning towards McDonalds and to be honest, that doesn't bother me even at my age and skill level. At least they would be able to start me out at maybe 10 or 15 hours a week. That would help me ease back into it.

I'm not a very religious person, but I do believe in some sort of higher power; has to be or I would be dead. I have a feeling no matter what I do, the path will be shown to me.

Just have to lose a few more pounds and know when "I'm ready" to rejoin society! LOL
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well, I'm a taxpaying citizen again,,,I got a job!

Nothing to write home about..crew member at McDonalds to start with manager training to begin as soon as I learn the positions. But, it's a paycheck. I'm lucky the store is busy enough and they're well staffed to be able to start with 3 - 5 hour shifts, 20 hours a week.

I'll be working nights as my daily schedule has me up till like 3 or 4 a.m. and waking up around noon. I think my subconscious got into this schedule to avoid what was my "drinking schedule". Store closes at midnight, 1 a.m. on Fri/Sat, with about another hour to clean-up.

Some decent perks: direct deposit, stock purchase, insurance and some other stuff. I'm nervous about starting (Wed is first day), but I'm also excited to start this "new" phase of my life.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good for you...Best of luck to you!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations ariesdch - that's great news!

D
Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yes, thank you all. I hit the 6 month sobriety mark and turned 51 the same week! LOL I hate to say this and have newcomers hear it, but damn, it took that long to feel "normal" enough to get back out there.

Then again, I was pretty hard-core: a fifth of whiskey, 6 pack of beer, 2 packs of cigs and anti depressant, anti anxiety and vicodins EVERY day for 2 years. Hell, it might be 5 years till I feel 100%.

I'm just thankful to be alive and hope I have not done permanent damage to my body. But right now, it's just good to be alive...and SOBER.

Me