Notices

Clenching My Jaw/Tensing Muscles

Old 12-02-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Clenching My Jaw/Tensing Muscles

I'm 22 days sober today and I've noticed that a lot of the time I'm clenching my jaw or really tightening my muscles. I don't even notice it. I have no idea how long I'm doing it for. My jaw gets locked so tight it cracks when I finally loosen it and I don't even notice tensing my muscles til I get a cramp. Does this have anything to do with getting sober? I don't recall doing this in the past.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I did that while drinking and learned how to relax my jaw. Maybe you were doing this while drinking and are just noticing it now. Bad habits can be changed!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im sorry your feeling so crappy, the aches yes Ive had them coming off drugs but i would clench my jaw but it wasnt from being sober. I hope you feel better soon. try and relax you can get threw it
Old 12-02-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had trouble for years (on and off) with grinding and clinching my teeth/jaw during the day and night. You may want to see a dentist because you can develop some serious problems from it. For years I've had a nightguard that I wear at night that helps a ton!

That said however, if you think it is temporary you may want to check out the moldable plastic guards you can get at drugstores. (Hope this isn't considered medical advice - if it is I'm sorry! - please erase message). They make sleeping much more comfortable and that helps with the pain during the day.

The guard along with relaxation techniques may be helpful... I sure hope you feel better - I know that it can be very painful!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

lol, I have heard of white knuckling before, but never jaw clenching. It's like you are trying so hard to stay sober that you are clenching your jaw. Sorry, I know you are serious. You might look into vitamins and minerals to help with this. Perhaps calcium and magnesium and a multivitamin? Taking lecithin has really helped me a lot too. Epson salts can be really relaxing, like in a bath soak or just a foot soak, lots and lots of magnesium there. I hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Thanks for the suggestions everyone And Tracie, I actually feel great. I just notice I'm clenching/tensing a lot. Aside from that it's all good
Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, I think it is just tension. And even though it is infinitely better being sober than watching everything slip away while holding a cocktail, life head-on is pretty stressful at first. When I ran marathons I always had to chew gum in races, otherwise my face (not my whole body!?) would just kill me when I was done. So you might want to try that.

I have found yoga to be very helpful also. Stretching does wonders to relax your muscles and your mind. Congratulations on your days sober!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

I actually always chew gum when I'm lifting weights for the same reason
Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it improves, Jay, but if not it might be an idea to talk to your dentist. You can get a mouthguard which will relax your jaw while you're sleeping.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Yeah, actually when I was drinking I clenched my jaw so much that I developed TMJ, which is extremely painful. This continued for a while after I quit, but after a bit of time (a few months, I think) I calmed down and haven't had an issue with it since.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am also experiencing this. No fun!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Wil

I have had an off and on problem of clinching my jaw also, but I think it's just from being a nervous person. It's a habit that can be broken, you've just got to be aware of it and conscientiously not do it.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I clench my teeth so much I've broken 2 fillings and ground down part of a tooth-it can get expensive- it's not a cheap or healthy habit!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jay

I did this too - before and after I quit drinking - in my case it's a sign of tension or anxiety.

Relaxation techniques/meditation/breathing help me a little...getting a mouthguard, like others have said, might help too.

D
Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I do this as well. So much that my teeth are cracked and sometimes pieces of them fall out. Like others have said, it isn't directly from drinking, just stress and tension in general. I have to sleep with a mouthguard or I will grind my teeth all night.

You could self-massage your masseter muscle, or seek out a registered massage therapist who has training in TMJ intra-oral treatments.