Notices

The first of the year is just to far...

Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The first of the year is just to far...

I Just cant wait... I want a sober lifestyle now!! Told my husband I cant do this with the houseguests.... his response: "No one will give a F**K if you are not drinking!! lol I've seen it on here before, but It's hard to think no one will notice/judge... guess its time to not care about that. More than anyone though, my mom, my rock... she is the best thing in the world, and if i can do this i'll do it for her. Tomorrow is day one I guess, not necessarily excited about it, but actually ready... we'll see how it goes. I'll keep you posted. tomorrow... day one...
Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great decision Camille

D
Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Set ground rules on what and when alcohol can be in the house.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good decision! I remember that it was pretty scary at first, but after a few days I started feeling stronger, more clear-headed, and began waking up in a positive frame of mind.

I can't imagine anyone judging someone for not drinking unless their life revolves around drinking, too. You should feel good about yourself and proud that you're taking action to better your life.

Take it one day at a time. Don't even think about the day after until it gets there and hang out here for motivation.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have a reason why you're not drinking planned out ahead of time. Rehearse talking about it ahead of time if you need to. No one is going to badger you if you say that you are taking some time off of drinking for a new diet. Once you make it through the holidays with over a month sober it will be easier to get through social situations. Recovery takes a lot of time and just know that it will be a challenge. Prepare for situations and they will be easier to handle.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nirvana1 View Post
Once you make it through the holidays with over a month sober it will be easier to get through social situations. Recovery takes a lot of time and just know that it will be a challenge. Prepare for situations and they will be easier to handle.
What a time to quit right?!? I just have a hard time thinking I'm nuts and destined for failure... I love my wine, but I love my husband more... I think I'll choose him.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CamilleBelle View Post
What a time to quit right?!? I just have a hard time thinking I'm nuts and destined for failure... I love my wine, but I love my husband more... I think I'll choose him.
What's most important is that you choose you...
Old 12-02-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My quit date was towards the end of the year, I can think of many others who quit successfully at this time of the year. When you've had enough, you've just had enough, the quit date doesn't matter.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You won't fail. You want this. I stopped early November and thought the same thing. "now I'm choosing to stop???!!" but it's been good. And I'm going to like sleeping well through the holidays and not worrying if I'm driving drunk or making a donkey out of myself at a holiday party.

Come on Day 1!!!!

This is going to be great. You're going to be so happy
Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Camille - I am in the same boat as I just through in the bottle 2 days ago, but with all the holiday parties and company, I am scared to death! My husband said the same thing - no one is going to care if you are not drinking! While that may be true it will certainly be noticed and awkward! I know I shouldn't care, but I do! This is about myself I know but I am wondering if I just need to pluck myself out of these situations? Very tough decisions ahead! Hang in there!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MINEr

Good luck on day 1, and just remember, any hesitation or insecurities you feel about quitting "around the holidays" is just the self preservation of your alcoholic inside, that creature wants you to keep drinking no matter what, and will do anything or say anything to achieve those means.

camedown :headband:
Old 12-02-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck! Its does get a little easier every day! Although I hace not put myself, or been in the position social to be really tempted. I wish you all the best! 6 and counting!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your husband is right, no one will give a crap. The exception are other alcoholics, some of whom can and do make a big deal out of it. Just stick to your guns and you'll be fine.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's hard to think no one will notice/judge.
Isn't it odd how we worry what people will think about us being sober? I wish I had given half as much thought to what people thought of me all those times I was drunk.

When we feel better about ourselves, I think the rest of the world picks up on that. Congrats on starting a bright new chapter in your life.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a good decision you've made.

You'll be surprised how little attention anyone pays to what you're drinking, or not.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What a great Christmas present to yourself, good luck! You can do it!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
What a great Christmas present to yourself, good luck! You can do it!
Very apt. To me, Christmas and Advent is now about celebrating rebirth/renewal - that is the true meaning. I can apply that also to my journey without alcohol.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on taking another step towards recovery. One day at a time is really the way to start as cliche as it may sound. Choose yourself, your mom and your husband over the devil that is wine!

You have no idea how great/proud you will feel if you can just make it through all of the upcoming obstacles/road blocks and remain sober.