Notices

Anyone Else Lazier When Sober?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone Else Lazier When Sober?

I find that along with my calmer, less nervous self, I am also lazier now that I am not drinking. Is that weird or what? Maybe I over-compensated for my being buzzed by taking care of all kinds of household chores like a madman, but now it takes me a lot of motivating to get off the couch and take care of things.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Happily, just the opposite for me. I stay bizzy most of the time.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I stay pretty busy know thankfully. I have put off many things over the years. I may never catch up.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I keep busy. I have some time wasting hobbies though.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I can relate Timfoot. I do hated doing mundane chores w/out a buzz, but the longer I stayed clean and sober, the easier they became. Being sober for me isn't about going by my feelings anymore, (I don't wanna do it cuz I don't FEEL like it) but living each day and doing stuff I just don't wanna do.

Many times I relapsed cuz things had gotten out of control and I thought i needed HELP.

My sponsor in addition to calling her in the AM likes me to put one thing on my list to do today, something that I need to CROSS OFF my list so my HEAD would feel better having it done.

Hang in there, it gets better!!

Lily
Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At almost four mos. sober, I am lazier than I have been in a very long time..I think part of my lack of motivation is being overwhelmed by everything, with a touch of depression. I am starting to get my gardening/house decorating spark back, but right now I am just trying to keep the house somewhat clean, and take care of what I have to. I work in Legal full time so I stay busy during the day, and go to bed earlier than my wine marathons of time past. I do know what is on tv everynight, and I am on SR a lot of the time, my animals are enjoying much longer walks these days, and the music is cranked up all over the house!

As long as I stay sober, it is all good.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found I was not very motivated and a little blank for a while...I think not drinking was a such huge shock to me - my life used to centre around it - I had to deal with that massive change before anything else.

my motivation came back tho

D
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think I am more in touch with my body now & sometimes like to take a good old nap on the couch. I do think my coffee usage has gone up a bit though (puts on another pot ;-)

Depending on how long you have quit for I found my body/mind needed a lot of rest adjusting to not having tons of sugar through booze & all of its effects no longer in my body.

Getting up & going for a walk or getting active helps too. It will get better.

Take care ~ NB
Old 12-01-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do not know if I am lazy or just exhausted! I go to work feeling great, then about 3:30 my usually "start" time my body just shuts down and I just do not want to do anything! I could sleep from 4:00 pm til 8:00 am the next day no problem! Maybe I will good for a wlak today and get out!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was rather lazy early on but got my energy back and now it just depends... Some days are better than others.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In my typical extreme, all-or-nothing style, I am either too busy or too lazy. I try to do so much, or nothing, all at once. It's exhausting. I am trying to find a better balance. To keep myself occupied with healthy things, relax sometimes, and work hard when necessary/good for me.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The first 2 weeks I was pretty worthless then I snapped out of it and was OK.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im lazy when I'm sobering up but it passes me.
I'm lazy when I'm drunk, so its all good.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

I'm much more active sober. If I get bored or have free time that's bad for me 'cause I'll wanna drink.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Much more active not drinking and being hung over though not so much as when I'm popping hydrocodone... though 3 or 4 days of that and I'm about as useful as a wet leaf!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

The first few times I tried to get sober I think I was pretty lazy, but this time I'm putting a lot of work into my recovery and a lot of work into living life in general. I think it's important to fight to overcome your laziness, just like you fight against your addiction.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This past year I have encountered many phases of my energy. At first, the usual fog clouded my head and I sat in that density for a week or so. Once my mind started clearing I stayed here to understand my new feelings and life. Get a grip on things.
I didn't do a whole lot and based most of my day around recovery.
Then I started planning things and acting on them. I didn't feel like I 'had' to stay busy. My body and mind started to relax after 30 years of tailspinning. I was always busy taking care of things, looking and acting functional, useful -and using alot of energy to keep up the fascade.
Now...I am my own person, I have grown into my own skin, I am mentally more balanced and don't feel the need to prove anything to my family (since I'm alone now). I can lie in bed in the morning, take a nap (which I hadn't done since I was 3 or passed out) and when a spurt of energy comes I act on it but don't feel guilty anymore sitting here for hours if I want to.
I don't call it lazy, I call it inactive.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can definitely relate to your post. I'm 5 days sober and all I want to do is sleep. It's like I'm glued to my bed in the morning. But all in all I feel a million times better throughout the day when I'm not disgustingly hungover.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In the end, more active sober. Problem I had is I may have been a bit more active performing mundane chores after the first few drinks, then it would go downhill very quickly.