Notices

I would like to introduce myself!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I would like to introduce myself!

Hello, I would like to introduce myself,
I am a 41 year-old male with a wife, 2 children and a dog.

I drank in university but never really to the extent that I was an alcoholic. In fact, I ran two marathons in the year 2000 and really train hard for them.

I was also able to achieve my life long goal of becoming a teacher in 2000 and I thought I was on top of the world.

The stress of my job, marriage, and extra-curricular activities (COACHING SPORTS not infidelity) really started to take a toll on me. I would stop and have 2-3 pints (cider like BURT) on my way home and maybe two more before bed. This would happen about 3-4 times a week 2003-6. 2006-2009 this would happen 5 days a week and since 2009 I have pretty well been drunk!
I drink anywhere from 8 to 15 pints a day 7 days a week.

I have been able to keep working and outside of the obvious money expenditures (wife gets a tad upset) I have been able to keep my family together but now my kids are preteens and are asking questions, I have gained 100lbs and feel like crap. My wife is supportive,
and I am just plain tired of playing the game; hiding money, hiding that I come home drunk, the insomnia, the weight and recently self-loathing. I am 5 days sober and tired as hell!
Thanks for Listening (Reading)

Trying to get rid of the “Voiceinmyhead
Old 12-01-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Voice. You are in a great place and right where you are supposed to be. Aside from not drinking what support do you have locally? I'm glad you posted here. You are not alone by any means! WELCOME.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

I have the same as anywhere else! AA and several Sobriety Houses, but I do have a really supportive wife, although she does not really get that I am a little tired and grumpy right now! I need to make some non-drinking friends! I do not really have support at work as my peers are artsy women and I am a sport loving man. Yes I am the only man who works at my school! This is really the first place I have tried.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Voice - Yeah I think a lot of us have that voice in our heads. I'm glad the one in yours finally told you its time to do something about it.

I got ready to stop drinking and get my life back about a month ago. It's hard but getting better day by day.

Lots of support here - good luck.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR voiceinmyhead

good to have you here

D
Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome buddy,you are in good hands here....
Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Welcome Voice and glad you found you way here. I'm only 13 days sober and I already feel much better (more energy, lost a few pounds, and most of my skin problems are well on their way to being resolved). I can relate to the deception of hiding money and lack of sobriety as well as being untruthful to myself.
Stay sober and I can almost guarantee that things will get better... maybe even quicker than you expect.
Again, Welcome.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You mentioned AA, is that something you are willing to try? I'm a bit older than you, but tried to quit when I was about your age. I once stayed sober for over 5 years before relapsing. Once I relapsed, it got harder and harder to stay sober. It finally sunk into my thick skull that I couldn't do this by myself so I gave up and went to AA. The program and the face to face fellowship have helped me do, what I couldn't do for myself.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Voiceinmyhead,..WELCOME. This is a good place to start. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Jim
Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I remember being absolutely exhausted at the end of my drinking days. It was horrible to try to keep everything together and it was such a relief to finally just stop drinking.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi VoiceinmyHead I think I know you (VoiceinmyHead that is)

I had a good laugh with this: and extra-curricular activities (COACHING SPORTS not infidelity) hehe.

You will find a lot of great people & support here, most of us have been in similar situation as you are in (a lot still are).

Stick around & keep posting, we are all here to help each ohter, I am glad that you are sick & tired as that is what finally motivated me to make some real commitments & changes in myself I was sick & tired of being sick & tired.

we can do this together
Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support. We're a family here, from all over the world, and we care.

Five days sober is a great start, but still very early in recovery. You're bound to feel kind of 'up and down' for a while but with rest and good food you should 'smooth out' after a while.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey voice, welcome to SR. Once you stop drinking you will lose a lot of the weight. I can understand how hard it is when you drink all the time. Have you ever thought about telling your wife you been drinking 8 to 15 pints a day 7 days a week. Also you can tell her you been drinking drunk? It better you tell her the truth and start a recovery program. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I have made it through another night and feel great today! I love all the support I am getting! Please keep the advice coming! I will need it all!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How many calories are in a pint of cider? 200? I enjoyed really heavy duty beers so when I quit it was like skipping a meal every day! I wish I could say all the weight went away but then I remember that the most important thing is feeling better and I do. I also have two younger kids that I love more than life itself. I appreciate them so much more sober. Last night my wife went out to the bars with her pals and I stayed home to watch the kids. In the past I would have been a resentful ******** about that situation but I had a blast. Good luck Voiceinmyhead. Channel that marathon training focus and hit the road with us one step at a time....
Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great job for quitting!!! I can really identify with the horrible cycle of drinking too much while trying to hold everything together. Now that the daily cycle of drinking is gone, I don't miss at all the self loathing, that was horrible. You still have so much going for you right now. Great decision!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making the decision to stop drinking!

We have a lot in common ... except that I'm older ... 51.

Wife ... 2 kids (10 and 12) ... 2 dogs.
Distance runner ... last marathon in 2007.
I have coached a lot of youth sports for my kids ... primarily football and baseball.
Work was fine.
I too worried about the questions/comments made by my kids.

After work and fulfilling family obligations, drinking became "my time". Initially, it was a way to unwind and relax, but over the years the frequency and volume of my drinking increased. I never got a DUI or have anything tragic happen, but I was increasingly thinking about drinking and hiding the extent of my drinking it from my wife.

Eventually, enough was enough. No magic moment that grabbed my attention ... just the realization that I wasn't being the person/husband/father that I wanted to be. It had to stop. Thankfully, I had the coruage to stop and am on Day 18.

Good for you for making the same decision!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah! About 200 calories! I was probably drinking my daily intake on top of food! AHHH!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
MINEr

Welcome to SR, it's a good place to center yourself when you need it. Like Anna said, that sense of relief after quitting was quite a boon for me too, and I rode it for a while. Just the freedom not to have to go along with my alcoholic program of lying, hiding, spending, planning, puking, etc.... was enough of a carrot for that first month or two. Being a drunk is a hell of a lot of work. Good luck and keep your head up!!!

camedown
Old 12-02-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow Voice! That's a lot of calories! Are you going to start working out? I still have to get to that point consistantly. But I figure one thing at a time. I really need to at the very least walk 30mins a day. I'm not really that overweight but my hubby would probably think even more of me (and I would too) if I did other new things to care for myself. Anywho, I hope you start losing weight it will help you on your journey!