Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How to get through extremely stressful situations without drinking?

Notices

How to get through extremely stressful situations without drinking?

Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

We have an adopt a family here through the united Way, check into that! Also just have 15 minutes of planned quiet time each day ALONE to recharge!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You're already giving your daughter the greatest gift she'll ever receive.

I'm a single parent, and in no way am I making light of your desire to give her material gifts, because I totally get that. But your recovery is the most valuable thing in the world to her. She may not know it now, but one day she will, and she will be very proud of you.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post

When I'm dealing with stress, first off I recognize it's not the situation in and of itself that is stressful, it's my reaction to and feelings about the situation that are stressful. I find that the more I try to "combat" how I feel or rid myself of the feelings quickly the worse I feel, which causes me to become easiy mired and less able to find a sulution (if one is even called for). I allow myself to feel what arises without fear...fearing the feelings makes them bigger for me...amost overwheming. I just acknowledge, for example, "anxiety is passing through me", "anger is passing through me" "sadness is passing though me" etc. For me trying to end it quickly or rid myself of it doesn't work. I "sit with it" and it passes. Not sure any of that makes sense lol...but I wish you peace Dom.
I have been "catching" myself. Now instead of saying "I AM sad"or " I AM angry." I rephrase it (even just in my own head) to "I feel sad" or "I feel angry" because I need to be very clear that I am not my feelings, just as you say, they are things that pass through me.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
I just wanted to get some input on this. How did you cope with extreme stress suring your recovery?
I accept that the situation is leading me to have stressful feelings. I remind myself that using is not the answer, I know this because I've tried it in every size, shape and color and it never fixed anything. So using is immediately off the table. Then I make sure I am addressing the parts of the issue that I CAN address.

By that I mean I do what I can to not make it worse...like I take care of myself, pay the bills I CAN pay, etc. And then I let it go. Having done what I can do, is all I am required to do, then I take the next step doing the right thing for the right reason.

I used to think my feelings were me, and got all "the sky is falling down" over things. A good bit of the time things are not quite the way my feelings make them out to be.

I am going through some stressful situations right now, hands down, not a soul would argue that my situations are not difficult, but...even though there are days I feel like my world is ending, a reality check proves otherwise. That perspective, which I lacked for the majority of my life is one of the gifts of recovery.

Once I get through a thing or two clean, I can't kid myself anymore, I KNOW I can get through something clean...and I can build on that.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The biggest thing I do in stressful situations is remind myself drinking won't actually help anything.

I just found out my dog needs surgery I can't afford. Drinking was an option that I discarded before it even finished forming because I know it doesn't help.

Practice makes it easier. I promise
Old 12-01-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's so true, there is no stress that drinking won't end up making way worse. No problem that won't be made more horrible, by drinking.

I think the key must be, realizing drinking is punishment, not a reward.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks for telling your story. I know you dont feel like this, but you are inspiring. Going to school, working full time, taking care of your child, and realizing you have a problem. This could be the beginning of a great movie. I'll look forward to hearing from you. The greatest gift you can give yourself and your daughter is sobreity and time. Nothing else matters long term. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Wow. Lots of great advice and input. Thank you! It helps to know I am not alone. I know I will make it through, just difficult. You guys are awesome.