Notices

Drinking dreams

Old 11-29-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams

I'm coming up to six months and my drinking dreams are getting more frequent....and more scary I feel AWFUL when I wake up. I can almost taste the stale wine in my mouth, I feel as if I have a terrible hangover for a split second

Is this normal?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

I use to have these also in early recover, i remember sharing it at a meeting one night, i almost felt guilty about these dreams as i had done something worng!!! SO , this old timer calls me aside & says to me " Listen young lady, what ure having is called a Pillow Slip, youre sober in your walking living life, so enjoy the dreams, becasue that is all they are DREAMS" "Be relieved that u can wake up , & get on with your day, your dreams are reminding you whats there for you the horror of how u will feel if u pick up a drink in your everyday life"

Hope that helps, it did me
Old 11-29-2011, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. That's very helpful xx
Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had drinking dreams early in sobriety, but not at six months sober. I've heard people share that they get them when they're feeling emotionally disturbed or have something on their minds?

Maybe you've got a situation in your life that needs looking at? Maybe these are just dreams and nothing more?

I personally don't give any weight to my own dreams.

Good on you for the six months!
Old 11-29-2011, 03:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I used to have them and yes they are common in the rooms. I have heard a few accounts of huge fear followed by relief on waking up.

I was also told, I dont know if this is an urban legend, by a long term AA member, that it is a very good sign that you are never going to drink again, or at least succeed eventually in your sobriety. I hope this helps. there are always others out there experiencing the same thing and it is good to share your experiences good or bad.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Congrats for six months.
I know I must be having dreams, for a long time though I don't remember most of them when I wake. I use to have 'smoking' (both cigs & weed) dreams which I would jolt me awake, as if I were about to burn the house down.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TTBP - totally normal for me. I have always had "pillow slips"

What a fantastic feeling though when I realize it's just a dream.

Sampar, what a great analogy - thanks for sharing that. That's definiatley going into the Inspirational Quotes Collection
Old 11-29-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

There is a big difference between drinking DREAMS and drinking NIGHTMARES. If in your dreams, you are enjoying yourself, it's a big party in your head, and you wake up angry that it doesn't work that way for you in real life...that is not a good sign. You're romancing the drink in your dreams.

If, on the other hand, in your dream, you are not having fun, you are a mess, you feel guilty, and you wake up feeling incredibly relieved that it was all just a dream or nightmare, then this is nothing to be concerned about. I quit drinking 13 years ago and still, in times of stress, I will occasionally have a nightmare that I'm drinking. I don't like this, but it doesn't cause me any concern that I might drink again. (I also still have nightmares that I am married to my ex-husband, and that I'm back in college and missed a test!--and I'm not about to go back to either experience!)
Old 11-29-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh! They're definitely nightmares...awful!